Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 05:37 AM

Why?

If the section is to be called working why is it restrited, why is it not for all working dogs. Hounds terries and gundogs all hunt and flush which is why they are often used as sniffer dogs & search and rescue, why are they not welcome?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 05:50 AM
Because its one sided Thordell, you can only have a view if it pleases others too.
Dawn.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 06:01 AM
it was because they were afraid animal lovers didn't want to read about other animals being killed and hunted.

Personally, I think that you should be able to write about hunting dogs because they are working dogs.
Could we not have a way, like in the title, you must include the activity so that people who don't want to read about hunting know before they click on it?? If it didn't work it could then be reviewed but this is wrong. You should be able to write about what your working dogs do in a working dogs section.

No, come on Azz, make it open to hunting dogs and request people include the activity in their title if it doesn't work change it.

I don't want to read about hunting animals either, but some do...
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 06:27 AM
Edited to say i need my contact lenses fixed Soz
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 06:41 AM
Originally Posted by amts
Edited to say i need my contact lenses fixed Soz
lol what??
I didn't see your original post so have no idea what you said
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 06:42 AM
I just said I thought it wasnt a restricted section but then read up Soz
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-07-2005, 07:24 AM
I think much of the problems lies in the language and the interpretation thereof. For many people the term 'hunting' equals 'sport' which in turn equals 'pleasure', the latter being interpreted to mean that those involved recieve gratification from seeing a prey animal run to bay and set upon by a dog or dogs.

While I am sure that this may provide pleasure to a few sad souls, I believe that the majority of 'hunters' and their dogs are simply doing a job of work.

Also I think I am correct in saying that hunting with hounds is now illegal in the UK? So I doubt there will be inflammatory posts extolling the joys of fox, deer, otter, pig, etc. hunting. Posts will be more likely to focus on the training of HPRs & terriers, which information would be of interest to more than those directly involved.

I am sure that one of the Mods or Prefects would be happy to monitor the section to ensure that nothing distasteful/illegal is posted.

In fairness, I see no reason why working gundogs and terriers should not be included in this section.

SB
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-07-2005, 08:04 AM
As you know my two are sort of working terriers, but events have took over the presence, anyways i dont work them for sport, or for plasure, they go ratting to control vermin as with other creatures, they have never worked fox.
They work a variety of quarry, of which one would not post here.
I am an animal lover, i am all for animal rights, i have been protestors mfor animal testing etc, but when certain animals can devestate a persons livelyhood, or spread disease or destroy local other wildlife, then there is a problem, that many ways are used for this, but only few are 'humaine', a terrier has the infamous terrier shake, they do so and then it is over, they arent like a pack of hounds whihc would rip a fox or otter apart, they are a very skilled type of dog, and are very accurate in the way things are handled, personally i see no reason why it isnt included, but to be hoenst as i rarely work my two anymore, as i have too many commitments family wise, i am not truly bothere.
But i do think it is singling out a selection of us whom used their dogs for its breeds original purpose!
Sorry if i have offended anyone
Best wishes
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Well, I don't particularly like hunting etc. but, as long as you said it in the title, I wouldn't read it and wouldn't mind you writing it and reading it!
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

12-07-2005, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
If the section is to be called working why is it restrited, why is it not for all working dogs. Hounds terries and gundogs all hunt and flush which is why they are often used as sniffer dogs & search and rescue, why are they not welcome?
Because this particular section is for working dogs that do not involve the killing of animals in anyway.

There is a debate going on about whether or not a section for 'hunting' should be allowed.

As I am no expert in this field I would like to ask all those who want the hunting section to explain exactly what that section would cover - in particular the activities that take part under the 'hunting' umbrella.

Please do so in this thread.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »