Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2011, 09:33 PM
yes i think there are a few in tyhe uk
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 12:13 PM
There are no competitions in the UK however there are a few enthusiasts of Belgian, French and Mondio Ring Sports and they try to train here and some have gone to compete successfully abroad, most notably John Rumble (Jotunheim) who has competed at the highest level and won.

This involves travelling to Belgium very frequently to find the expertise required for training.

John has put on a couple of displays on here in the UK persuading some Belgians to come over, and it is very interesting to watch.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Thanks both of you!

How does it compare to schutzand (sp) then, I've never seen either in the flesh (though have seen police and ppd training)?

Btw do malinois dominante the sport, why? Apart from the obviouse lol.

Thanks Adam
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Schutzhund is comparable to a dressage test in the equine world. It has a specific content at each level (1.2 and 3) and the exercises are always the same and in the same order.

It is predominantly left sleeve orientated but helpers can be right handed too.

Ringsport does not contain any nosework elements. It is about obedience and manwork.

The helpers wear full body suits and the dogs can bite anywhere on the legs or arms etc.

The tests are not predictable and often have a theme to make them more spectator friendly.

The reason the Malis dominate the sport is that they are much faster and more athletic than most other breeds as they can choose the height of the scale and long jumps (can be 7 - 8 ft high I think and 12ft long if I remember rightly).

There are other breeds (saw a super Bouvier doing it a couple of years ago) but Malis are the preferred breed because they are the "Formula 1" of the dog sport world.