Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
OMG would my Reg & Jaq be in trouble when they enlist the help of Joedee/Roodee/Loukar in mouse hunting ??? Would they be up before the Catistrate for sentencing ?? My lil moglets up before the"Beak" Noooooooooooooo

aiding and abetting a crime!!

Originally Posted by Navajo View Post
Funny how the law doesn't apply to cats eh?? Something about being unenforceable lol
Noooo, tis cos they are purrrrfect!!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 11:06 PM
why do you want him to catch animals?
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by Navajo View Post
Funny how the law doesn't apply to cats eh?? Something about being unenforceable lol
whys that because its natural? Lol.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
why do you want him to catch animals?
Whys it a shock?

Do your dogs eat meat? Wouldn't you rather know where the meat comes from? I mean for all you know you could be feeding your dog meat kept in horrible living conditions. I would rather know where my dogs food comes from, use his natural abilites and give him fresher food to.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2009, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Whys it a shock?

Do your dogs eat meat? Wouldn't you rather know where the meat comes from? I mean for all you know you could be feeding your dog meat kept in horrible living conditions. I would rather know where my dogs food comes from, use his natural abilites and give him fresher food to.
but what if he catches a wee baby? or a mother?... what animals would he catch?
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
but what if he catches a wee baby? or a mother?... what animals would he catch?
He would only catch rabbits, and would be taught only to catch them, and not hurt them, which he has done allready, but not a lot, he holds them in his mouth, normally he drops them and they get up unscathed (I check them) and then run away when I release them.

He will hopefully aswell be taught to retrieve shot animals which will only be shot in the hunting seasons and when there isn't any babies. Although their is a risk of him picking up a baby or a mother, hopefully this won't happen, or I can release them, I mean a baby won't a dog, joke, but I wouldn't see any thing that comes about by taking mothers and allowing the babies to starve, and as I'm about to start doing a apprenticeship at a wildlife hospital I will be able hopefully to spot a nursing mother more easily.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
He would only catch rabbits, and would be taught only to catch them, and not hurt them, which he has done allready, but not a lot, he holds them in his mouth, normally he drops them and they get up unscathed (I check them) and then run away when I release them.

He will hopefully aswell be taught to retrieve shot animals which will only be shot in the hunting seasons and when there isn't any babies. Although their is a risk of him picking up a baby or a mother, hopefully this won't happen, or I can release them, I mean a baby won't a dog, joke, but I wouldn't see any thing that comes about by taking mothers and allowing the babies to starve, and as I'm about to start doing a apprenticeship at a wildlife hospital I will be able hopefully to spot a nursing mother more easily.
ah, thats good, i always worry people will kill the mothers and leave the babies to suffer a horrific death. im not a fan of hunting but as long as it is quick for the animal and the animal gets eaten (not just killed for fun) i think its ok, i just personally couldnt do it myself lol. dreading if jake ever catches something lol, he loves chasing birds and rabbits but no idea how i would react . good luck with your dog though
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2009, 04:20 PM
You would probably react the same way I did when Flynn caught a pheasant. I was mortified and hadnt a clue what to do, I was shocked that my dog would kill. I left the pheasant where it lay (of course now, I take it home and the dogs eat it). I've come to realise that a dog is a predator so I deal with it calmly and thank my stars they bring it to me in one piece. There is no use making a big song and dance about it as it only winds the dog up more.

I wouldnt know how you go about training a lurcher. Are there any local people you perhaps see out and about who look like they work their dogs?
Attending a game fair and asking the people there would perhaps be beneficial.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2009, 05:00 PM
where abouts are you, it maybe worth finding your local shoot now the season is on, most people who work their dogs, do more than one type of work if you see what i mean, i would also recommend visiting your local clay club to see how he is with guns up close, most are quiet happy to have a dog at the back of the guns while shooting, there are also several hunting/shooting forums where you maybe able to get some work.

Personally i don't three is too old to start, i have a 4 or 5 spaniels that have been rehomed at that age who have gone on to be succesfull working dogs
maddie123
New Member!
Female 

21-10-2009, 07:27 PM
HI I am new to this site and I have a interest in Lurchers. Personally I think you should get your Lurcher working as they love it!! It will make you bond better and he will be a happy dog. I work my lurcher at weekends only as i do not have time in the week. She is a recsue dog and I didn't train her she caught a rabbit one day on the golfcourse and retrieved it to me. And I ws out of sight. My uncle is a real country man so he gutted and skinned it for me and it lasted her for the week she had little bits on her tea!! You could tell that she was so happy withself as she saw it being prepared and cooked and then go into her bowl. I think she must have been trained as a worker before i had her. So defiantaly do it, he will love you for it, it is natural and is afterall its what a lurcher is meant to do!!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2