Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2006, 11:25 AM

Beware of the cows!

Just a warning to all dog walkers to avoid fields of cows with calves at all costs!

On the way home from a lovely walk the footpath took us through a field with cows and their calves. I was nervous about going in as my grandparents were cattle farmers and always warned me about cows with calves and I have been chased before, but the detour was a loooong one and we had already had a long walk, so decided to risk it.

BIG mistake! One calf decided it would be good fun to mischief make, and ran straight at us, which then prompted his mother, and others, into action Very scary! They kept charging us, even though the dogs were doing their best to scare them away - barking and lunging, and I was waving my shepherds crook around In the end, I decided it wasn't worth risking being hurt, so we made a hasty retreat.

So, please be warned, cows can be dangerous, especially with calves.
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2006, 11:27 AM
I can second this!

On a walk in the yorkshire dales, the route we were following went right through a field of cows and calves.

We had Bo on a very short lead, and tried to give the cows a huge gap, but the came charging. It was very scary. We ended up in full adrenalin pumped flight back along the path we had come up, Bodhi was running ahead too

I know about cows, but you just don't know what they will do when protecting babies.

We had to take a detour in the end, there was no way we were following that path.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2006, 02:20 PM
I wont go in a field with cows wether they have calfs or not.

too big and scarey for my liking.

strawberry ninja cows live by me and escape on a regular basis into our local country park and chase everyone in sight.i now avaoid the place!!!
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2006, 02:21 PM
Cows are evil!! Thats why i eat them
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2006, 02:31 PM
My OH used to go fishing alot in his 'youth' but got chased across a field one day and has been petrified ever since.

I think they are lovely maybe it's because I also have brown eyes and long eye lashes.....lol.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-11-2006, 02:52 PM
I don't like walking through fields with cows either, calves or not and especially if you have a dog.I once saw someone on a horse get cornered by a herd of cows he was riding a 17 hand stallion at the time we were in another field riding it was pretty scary.