Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-06-2011, 03:10 PM

Kennel club and dog training clubs

If a club runs the KC good citizen scheme, does this mean the club is affiliated to the Kennel club?
(The club also might be running a KC agility class as well).

And if so, what does kennel club registered actually mean?

What happens if you go to a club that runs the KCGCS and the lax standards and organisation cause an accident whereby a new unknown dog attacks and seriously maims a puppy in the car park?

If the club is indeed KC affiliated, whom do you complain to at the KC?
What is their liablility status?

As a side issue, what is the KC training club insurance policy re dangerous dogs?
Is it just to do with not taking on banned breeds in the class?

cheers
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
If a club runs the KC good citizen scheme, does this mean the club is affiliated to the Kennel club?

Dog clubs are not"affiliated"to the KC they are either registered or have "listed status" If a club is KC registered they have to agree to abide by the KC Rules & Regs that apply to them

The Club has agreed to abide by the KC Rules & Regs that cover dog training clubs-which includes having club insurance

What happens if you go to a club that runs the KCGCS and the lax standards and organisation cause an accident whereby a new unknown dog attacks and seriously maims a puppy in the car park?

The club whether KC registered or "listed status" must have insurance if they run KCGC scheme training, I cannot see how a club could be held liable for any incident outside of their training class, the car park in a public park would not be under their control

There is no such thing as KC"affiliated"

If the club is either KC registered or has "listed status" the KC would be one port of call for complaints.

The KC have no direct liability

As a side issue, what is the KC training club insurance policy re dangerous dogs?

Have a look at the KC Insurance for clubs which doesn't mention dogs covered under the DDA-if that is what you mean by dangerous dogs

cheers
My replies are in the text in red
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 03:43 PM

To to run the KCGCDS a club must be registered with the KC or be afforded listed status recognition. Whether or not the club offers any other sort of training is immaterial.

It is a long list;.The KC yearbook has all the information under the C Regulations

The same as what would happen anywhere.

The KC have a contacts page and your email can be directed to the relevant department, and of course you can phone and send a letter.

The same as any organisation.

There is no ONE training club insurance policy, there are various insurance providers.
cheers

I hope that the above is of some assistance.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the replies folks

So as i understand it, no club is affiliated to the kennel club per se, its "activities" are affiiated to the kennel club?

So this means those activities have to abide by kennel practice regulations?

Where can i get those regs?

Does this conclusion therefore mean the regs are only strictly related to the "activity" itself, but not how one organises that activity:
ie, the regs do not cover how the trainer implements the activity outside of the actual activity itself:
ie, how many dogs in a room, if dogs leaving can squeeze thru the same door as dogs arriving, if new strange potentially dog aggressive dogs are allowed to be left to approach puppies in the car park with no prescence, guidance, or instruction from the Instructors?

Hi Jodee, the car park is part of the training hall where training takes place.

Hi SB - i was hoping you would reply as this is an area of your expertise, but i do wish you would make your replies a little bit more user friendly and not of a nature that I am your personal lesser whom may need 'enligtening'.

Of course i know their are different insurance providers
That wasnt the question.

And the replies "same as happens anywhere" arent really of any use or relevance.

You other answers are fantastic, thank you very much

Thank you jodee re the question re the KC insurance, your answer is is illuminating.
I figured any training club insurance would preclude banned breeds?
I was trying to establish if that would be the only clause re 'dangeorus dogs' one may have, its to do with something someone else said, not my own ideas.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 05:34 PM
I don't have any idea about your situation but I know that when I was turfed out as a spectator of an event run by a KC club in name but actually by two individuals the KC said they had no interest and I had to take the club itself to court for breach of contract.

So IME they tend to take the money and devolve responsibility.

rune
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I don't have any idea about your situation but I know that when I was turfed out as a spectator of an event run by a KC club in name but actually by two individuals the KC said they had no interest and I had to take the club itself to court for breach of contract.

So IME they tend to take the money and devolve responsibility.

rune
Why is this devolving responsibility. The rules of a club, while hopefully taking in KC good practice are that club's rules. The rules of two clubs I attend both KC registered are quite different in some aspects. Also go to another club on occasions that has no KC connection. It also has rules & insurance. When I first visit a club I ask for a copy of their rules.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the replies folks

So as i understand it, no club is affiliated to the kennel club per se, its "activities" are affiiated to the kennel club?

So this means those activities have to abide by kennel practice regulations?

Where can i get those regs?

Does this conclusion therefore mean the regs are only strictly related to the "activity" itself, but not how one organises that activity:
ie, the regs do not cover how the trainer implements the activity outside of the actual activity itself:
ie, how many dogs in a room, if dogs leaving can squeeze thru the same door as dogs arriving, if new strange potentially dog aggressive dogs are allowed to be left to approach puppies in the car park with no prescence, guidance, or instruction from the Instructors?

Hi Jodee, the car park is part of the training hall where training takes place............................

Thank you jodee re the question re the KC insurance, your answer is is illuminating.
I figured any training club insurance would preclude banned breeds?
I was trying to establish if that would be the only clause re 'dangeorus dogs' one may have, its to do with something someone else said, not my own ideas.

Anyone can set up an agility/obedience club, many agility shows have no connection with the KC at all & therefore the KC has no control or authority over these unregistered clubs & shows. If you have a look on Agilitynet there is a list of Agility Cubs & most are not KC regulated.

Check the list on the Cubs A-Z & if the club isn't KC registered then the KC are not involved with them at all except for any KCGC tests they run.

You can buy a copy of the"Red Book"correctly called the Kennel Club Year Book from the KC website, this contains all the Rules & Regs for the KC & lists of the KC registered clubs for all activities
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-06-2011, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Anyone can set up an agility/obedience club, many agility shows have no connection with the KC at all & therefore the KC has no control or authority over these unregistered clubs & shows. If you have a look on Agilitynet there is a list of Agility Cubs & most are not KC regulated.

Check the list on the Cubs A-Z & if the club isn't KC registered then the KC are not involved with them at all except for any KCGC tests they run.

You can buy a copy of the"Red Book"correctly called the Kennel Club Year Book from the KC website, this contains all the Rules & Regs for the KC & lists of the KC registered clubs for all activities
Hi jodee

Thanks for the reply but I probably havent been clear enough

i know you get non KC and KC agility clubs and all about agilitynet and all that, etc, etc.
im not actually interested in the agility point at all..
....its nothing to do with what i wish to do myself, im researching for a different purpose in regards to a specific incident involving someone else.

so im speficically trying to find out what KC registered means in practice?

hence im trying to clarify your previous reply when you said no clubs are KC affiliated.
im i right in understanding you to mean "activities" offered by clubs 'may' be KC registered (eg agility, good cits scheme, etc)?

and if so, what is the code of practice?
does the code of practice determine merely the activity itself or how the activity is implemented, ie, practicalities, locations, number of people, set up, health and safety etc etc (i gave other examples last post).

I dont want to spend money on book i cant afford.
All the other dog organisations print their codes of practive on their websites as obvioulsy they dont expect you to pay for them before you have even decided if you are interested in joining.

Do you know where i can lay my hands on a copy of the good citizen scheme code of practice aside from buying it from the KC?

cheers

Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 02:32 PM
Hi jodee

Thanks for the reply but I probably havent been clear enough

i know you get non KC and KC agility clubs and all about agilitynet and all that, etc, etc.
im not actually interested in the agility point at all..
....its nothing to do with what i wish to do myself, im researching for a different purpose in regards to a specific incident involving someone else.

so im speficically trying to find out what KC registered means in practice?

hence im trying to clarify your previous reply when you said no clubs are KC affiliated.
im i right in understanding you to mean "activities" offered by clubs 'may' be KC registered (eg agility, good cits scheme, etc)?

and if so, what is the code of practice?
does the code of practice determine merely the activity itself or how the activity is implemented, ie, practicalities, locations, number of people, set up, health and safety etc etc (i gave other examples last post).

I dont want to spend money on book i cant afford.
All the other dog organisations print their codes of practive on their websites as obvioulsy they dont expect you to pay for them before you have even decided if you are interested in joining.

Do you know where i can lay my hands on a copy of the good citizen scheme code of practice aside from buying it from the KC?

cheers

If there's been an incident that has resulted in 'damage' to either a dog or a person attending the class, the instructor's liability insurance would cover any claims.

While the KC may list clubs, they couldn't be expected to police every training club that comes under that status. The 'best' you could hope for by registering a complaint with them about a club not providing sufficient supervision (or similar) would be that the training club would be removed from their listing.

I can't think of a single training organisation that would take any financial responsibility for the trainers they list, but again, would (or should depending on the organisation) remove the trainer from their organisation if a complaint were made and proved.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
If there's been an incident that has resulted in 'damage' to either a dog or a person attending the class, the instructor's liability insurance would cover any claims.

While the KC may list clubs, they couldn't be expected to police every training club that comes under that status. The 'best' you could hope for by registering a complaint with them about a club not providing sufficient supervision (or similar) would be that the training club would be removed from their listing.

I can't think of a single training organisation that would take any financial responsibility for the trainers they list, but again, would (or should depending on the organisation) remove the trainer from their organisation if a complaint were made and proved.
thanks brierley

but thats not what im looking for.
i know it will come under their insurance (which may be the KC insurance scheme anyway)

im want to read the Good cits code of practice to see if it covers the nature of this indicent.

do you have a copy of the code of practice?

cheers
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >