View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 05:03 PM
I'm not surprised sadly. I was showing Parker at one agricultural show and as we were leaving in the car this elderly couple walking a Collie let it poop right in the middle of the walkway between all the stalls and walked off!

Me being me I stopped the car, wound the window down and shouted at them to clear up after their dog. They said they hadn't got a bag so I gave them one of mine and watched whilst they poop-scooped.

I have been to the Norfolk show and Parker has had to leap over a pile of steaming dog poo that someone left again right in the middle of the walkway between all the stalls

You cannot really blame the organisers if they have a knee-jerk response because of irresponsible owners but it is sad for people like us who do care about the image we leave as dog-owners.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 05:17 PM
I think it's a great shame for the folk and their dogs who enjoy country shows but can understand it if many had not been clearing up after their dogs and complaints made. Went to a Game Fair couple of years ago and was one of the best days me and dog had ever had, did not see much poop to be fair but had been bad at other country shows. I still can't get over how folk go to somewhere where there are hundreds if not thousands of others and still not pick up in broad daylight too Just hope it doesn't mean that folk will leave dogs in cars when hot(or cold) weather for too long while they are looking round instead of being able to have the dogs with them.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

27-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
I do think it sets a precedent though for other outdoor events to ban dogs under the same remit.It is perhaps indicative of society becoming less dog tolerant......
Rachel, there's no 'perhaps' about it, the public in general are becomming less dog tolerant, in my opinion it is the thin end of the wedge, some of the 'dark forces' in society have decided that while they can do dam all about drugs and drunkeness they can hit the 'soft' targets, like dog owners, and by so doing they can take a 'holyier than you' attitude and curry favour with the non dog owning public.

This trend has been building for a good many years and will end when the only dogs you see are in zoos and safari parks. That won't happen in my life but it will happen. My prediction is that by that time all humans will be in total anarchy and only a few generations from total oblivion. That would be a good ending for such a species don't you think
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Rachel, there's no 'perhaps' about it, the public in general are becomming less dog tolerant, in my opinion it is the thin end of the wedge, some of the 'dark forces' in society have decided that while they can do dam all about drugs and drunkeness they can hit the 'soft' targets, like dog owners, and by so doing they can take a 'holyier than you' attitude and curry favour with the non dog owning public.

This trend has been building for a good many years and will end when the only dogs you see are in zoos and safari parks. That won't happen in my life but it will happen. My prediction is that by that time all humans will be in total anarchy and only a few generations from total oblivion. That would be a good ending for such a species don't you think
Posted at same time. I too have thought that dog owners are becoming a 'soft target' more n more We both enjoyed going to the game fair/country shows and was a pleasure,something bit of special day n a change. If they ban/exclude pet dogs from shows here we wont go am afraid, i couldn't enjoy it without my dog.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 05:52 PM
Maybe this one show banning pet dogs will be a positive thing and those that do like to attend with their dogs who are not always the most responsible owners might clean up their act a bit for fear of not being able to take their dogs with them in the future. Then there wont be need for other shows to ban them.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Maybe this one show banning pet dogs will be a positive thing and those that do like to attend with their dogs who are not always the most responsible owners might clean up their act a bit for fear of not being able to take their dogs with them in the future. Then there wont be need for other shows to ban them.
Unlikely......as per normal it will be the irresponsible owners who won't be bothered about the ban and those who pick up who get tarred with the same brush.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 07:31 PM
We take the boys to all the local agri-shows; usually cos I'm there all day exhibiting poultry and produce...

I would think twice about entering the other classes (poultry etc) if I couldn't take the dogs for the day...
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-01-2011, 08:15 PM
i think its quite dissapointing, the suffolk show is my local show and i love seeing all the different dogs roaming around. What spoils it is the idiots who dont clean up after their dogs, i mean.. amougst all those people and all those police.. (seriously...) And the even bigger idiots who leave their dogs in cars on some of the hottest days of the year.

So sad, i'm really quite annoyed by it.. I am thinking of not going this year now, its also getting more and more expensive.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 08:18 PM
It is very sad considering the County Shows were first organised to showcase and celebrate a rural life and bring the whole community together.
Ksal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-01-2011, 08:54 PM
I think this is a real shame. My back is already up about dogs being excluded from things as currently trying to fight local dog control orders from being brought in. I have been to a few Agricultural shows in the last couple of years and not found myself dodging dog mess, but perhaps I have just been lucky.

I was thinking earlier today about when I went to Paris and dogs are allowed in shops, I even saw them in the airport! I just love that attitude, its so refreshing and all of the dogs I saw were well behaved-but again, perhaps I was just lucky there!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >