register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Poll - Do you agree you should be alpha male over your dog?
Yes 70 39.33%
No 71 39.89%
Other, please specify 37 20.79%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 11 of 92 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 61 > Last »
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
*Sigh* I'm sorry... I thought this was a poll based on what alpha is generally seen as...

I do none of the common so called 'techniques' to assert myself as alpha.

AND I'm a 'dog owner' - I personally don't like to be called the 'alpha male' because a) I'm not a dog, and b) I'm female
I am a dog owner too..but I am boss..and whether thats alpha or not..so be it..

I don't do any techniques..other than what works with my dogs..(if you are reffering to alpha rolling and stuff..LOL I would LOVE to see anyone trying to alpha roll Cruiser!)
I respect my dogs..I would be very stupid not to considering their size..

With reference to your first line..It would all depend on HOW individual people define the "alpha"..not one person will answer this question with the same meaning..I see alpha and dominance as two totally different things..I am not dominant with my dogs..but they know what they are allowed to do and what they arent..I might see that as an alpha position..but not within their pack..

To me...an alpha is the boss..the one they look to for feeds, walks, protection and allowance to do what they want to do....

Seems to me that everyone else on the thread thinks they are the same thing..but whether they want to call themselves alpha is another matter entirely..

Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
The peeps who coined the term alpha wolf don't use it any more though as they feel it's not appropriate.

*ducks*

Wys
x
Read it properly..Lottie says she does this that and the next thing..which is exactly what an alpha wolf in a wolf pack would do..
ajshep1984
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
Read it properly..Lottie says she does this that and the next thing..which is exactly what an alpha wolf in a wolf pack would do..
There is no "alpha" in a wild wolf pack: http://www.4pawsu.com/alphawolf.pdf
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by ajshep1984 View Post
There is no "alpha" in a wild wolf pack: http://www.4pawsu.com/alphawolf.pdf
Hmmmmm says who??

How many others have written opposing info?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 08:14 PM
I`m not a boss, I`m a leader. To me there is a difference. The relationship is based on trust and understanding.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I`m not a boss, I`m a leader. To me there is a difference. The relationship is based on trust and understanding.
I agree with you though!

To me a boss and a leader are the same thing..

My dogs trust me and understand me and I trust and understand them..
smileyfaces=]
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by Vodka Vixen View Post
I guess i'll have to go other??

I hate being pigeon holed but I dont think i could call myself "alpha" I am more.......mummy

I expect, respect and good manners, I am the adult, this is my house and I have rules, but they stand for the human residents too.

My dogs give me respect and have good manners mainly because i am the one who feeds them, gives them shelter, cuddles, playtime, walks.

Do they always do as i say? I wish!! No, they are individual animals who can think independently of me and ultimately they will choose whether something is worth doing or not, they are well behaved dogs but they are not perfect, they have their moments but i love them all the more for it as it makes them who they are

Our household consists of 1 adult, 1 child, 2 dogs and 5 cats, i expect all the residents to respect each other, animal or human and we all live together very peacefully (most of the time).

This wasnt acheived by asserting myself as "pack leader" or being the "alpha male" (i hate that male bit too) but respecting my dogs as dogs and caring for their needs just as i do my child.

So, yes we should all live in harmony but there still has to be rules and boundries, just as in the human world.

This is my house, so i am in charge, unless someone else wants to pay the bills
thats the best post i have read in this entire thread. i think in most households, with most pets (hopefully), this is how it is- to have boundaries and respect and care for your dogs
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-04-2009, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Yes, me too Mini. I think he would have remained a big influence on dog training and behaviour. He already organised the APDT and the APBC with other people, he's done so much. I have total admiration for him.

John Fisher, or Jan Fennell?

I think John Fisher wrote some great books, he was the best at showing things from the dog's point of view. I loved him for that, and he opened my eyes a lot too when I did one of his courses. I feel I owe him quite a bit

Yes definitely, it will.
I will try to get a copy for you if I can Not sure when it will be out, but it should be this year.

Wys
x
Hi Wys I meant Fisher (though I do have two Fennel books which were a gift) the one I have is 'Think Dog', haven't read it for years.

Thank you, a sight of the Blackwell and Casey report would be most appreciated if such a thing was possible .
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2009, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
Read it properly..
Ouch! LOL I did read it, but I interpret it very differently to you.

Lottie says she does this that and the next thing..which is exactly what an alpha wolf in a wolf pack would do..
Lottie actually said:

"I am their guide and their educator and I protect them and yes, I guess I am the authority figure in their life "

Human parents do that. Cheetah parents do it. Giraffe parents do it. Parrot parents do it. But I'd not say any of those were alphas....would you?

The link given by ajshep1984 is seminal reading.
Mech based his work originally on Schenkel and that is where so much of the original, wrong, information about alphas came from. There is hardly a need for anyone to argue against Mech as he was one of the orignators of the idea in the first place...

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2009, 07:16 AM
Originally Posted by smileyfaces=] View Post
thats the best post i have read in this entire thread. i think in most households, with most pets (hopefully), this is how it is- to have boundaries and respect and care for your dogs
Agree, that was a good post

Wys
x
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2009, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I do not believe that "Alpha Males"are the pack leaders of wild dogs/wolves-the leaders of these packs in the wild are the breeding male & female who are the parents of all the others in the pack & it is only when the offspring come to sexual maturity that they leave the family pack to seek out a mate of their own to start their own family group.

In wild packs there are no disputes as seen in captive groups of wild canines/wolves etc because they are very closely related. Captive groups are a missmash of related & unrelated animals of the same & different ages, that in the wild would not live together.
I find this very confusing.
The argument is that previous studies of wolves are invalid because they were done on captive wolves and therefore do not relate to dogs.
Surely dogs are captive and brought together in an artifical environment. Dogs that are not related live together.
So it would seem to me that studies of how captive wolves behave are relevant to the dogs we own.
Page 11 of 92 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 61 > Last »