register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JackieS
New Member!

12-12-2008, 06:26 PM
I have show clumbers. My girl who is hip scored DOES have single figure scores on both sides (total of 12 altogether),as did the stud dog that sired her litter earlier this year (also he had clear eye test and PDP1 test) All mine that are old enough have been eye tested clear and have had their PDP1 tests done also all clear. My boy will be hip scored in the new year also the youngsters when they are old enough.
They do not have excessive skin on their heads or are excessive in any way. There may be some which are excessive but certainly not all show Clumbers are.
I do think at this point in time that the both sides of the Clumber breed should be pulling together to safeguard the breed not making accusations about each other.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2008, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Steve, it wont make a dying bit of difference to the Kennel Club. Incidently, the BBC see your "breed" as one of the ones they refuse to broadcast.

They all are:
Basset hound
Clumber spaniel
Dogue de Bordeaux
Mastiff
Neopolitan mastiff
Pekingese
Rottweiler
Shar pei
St Bernard
Chow chow
German shepherd
Bulldog
Rhodesian ridgeback
Cavalier spaniel
Dawn, can I ask why the rottie is in that list
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Have no idea at all Shona, seems weird to me.
lilyput
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-12-2008, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Stevel View Post
Yes the Clumber is one of the breeds concerned. However the Working Clumber Spaniel Society have been doing their utmost to bring the breed back to what it once was. A smaller leaner working dog.

Not an overweight, bad eyed dog with so much loose skin on it's head plastic surgery is required. Hips that have an awful breed average (how many show Clumbers have single figure hip scores on one side let alone total). That is what the kennel club have done for the Clumber Spaniel.

Steve
But how acceptable is this in the show ring?

A friend of mine has a (pet) clumber - the vet says his weight is ideal- and she was told to fatten him up as he was not nearly heavy enough to fit the breed profile!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Have no idea at all Shona, seems weird to me.
what link did you get that list from? I would love to know why rotties are at risk?....

these are the dogs listed on the article that dog world printed.

The ‘at risk’ breeds are the Bloodhound, Basset, Clumber, St Bernard, Shar-Pei, Chow, Neapolitan Mastiff, Pekingese, Bulldog, Mastiff, GSD and Dogue de Bordeaux. To these the BBC had added two breeds featured in the documentary – the Cavalier and the Rhodesian Ridgeback.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2008, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
what link did you get that list from? I would love to know why rotties are at risk?....

these are the dogs listed on the article that dog world printed.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7779686.stm

From here Shona.
Stevel
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by JackieS View Post
I have show clumbers. My girl who is hip scored DOES have single figure scores on both sides (total of 12 altogether),as did the stud dog that sired her litter earlier this year (also he had clear eye test and PDP1 test) All mine that are old enough have been eye tested clear and have had their PDP1 tests done also all clear. My boy will be hip scored in the new year also the youngsters when they are old enough.
They do not have excessive skin on their heads or are excessive in any way. There may be some which are excessive but certainly not all show Clumbers are.
I do think at this point in time that the both sides of the Clumber breed should be pulling together to safeguard the breed not making accusations about each other.
I'm sorry but I do tend to see things sometimes in black and white (or should that be lemon and white ) and I should not lump all show Clumbers in with the worst.

It's just that I get so damned passionate about what I see happening to all sorts of breed in the name of breed conformation.

It makes my blood boil when organisations keep saying they are in the process of sorting things out but very little come to fruition. It's not until they get a kick up the posterior that they get their proverbial's in gear and do something about it rather than just talking about it.

Steve
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by Stevel View Post
I am quite happy that the BBC has pulled out and will be utterly disappointed if another TV company were to step in.

It is about time the Kennel Club were put in their place and told that they can not keep on causing pain and discomfort to the many dogs bred to their ridiculous breed standards.

Good on the BBC. If I had my way the Kennel club and all it's higher management would be taken to court for cruelty to animals and, if there were any justice, locked up.Starving the the KC of commercial income may make some people within the organisation see some sense and make them get their finger out and do something instead of just bleating that they are GOING to do something but never actually doing it.

Steve

And would you apply that to all the breeders of working gundogs who dont bother with any health tests....

Who have tunnel vision on only working abilities...

Or is the cruelty issue and having people locked up only apply to those (show) who work tiredlessly health testing their breeding stock.

Seems a little hypercritical to me, to blast those who do health screen their dogs, against those who work promoting the working strain of gundogs... but seem to forget the importance of health screening.....

Not to mention the ££££££`s signs , it is not exclusive to show people who breed for money... you only have to see the number of signs stuck on gateposts on main roads /in the country, advertising labs/springer's..and so on..all of which will have been farm/working bred.
DalaiMama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-12-2008, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by lilyput View Post
But how acceptable is this in the show ring?

A friend of mine has a (pet) clumber - the vet says his weight is ideal- and she was told to fatten him up as he was not nearly heavy enough to fit the breed profile!
Same here with my Pointer. Was told not to exercise him and to try force-feeding to stand any chance of success at showing as he was too lean. Vet said he was in perfect health and he would rather see them like that than fat.

A Pointer is supposed to be able to do a day's work in the field.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2008, 08:21 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7779686.stm

From here Shona.
thanks for the link dawn, Im at a loss as to why they have included rotties, tbh, they seem to be doing ok just now as a breed... who knows why the bbc felt they are at risk...
Page 3 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »