Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2008, 11:24 AM

BBC pull out of Crufts???

The BBC has confirmed it will not broadcast the dog show Crufts next year.

The Kennel Club, which runs Crufts, said the decision followed "disputes" over the inclusion of certain breeds of pedigree dog in the competition.

The club complained to Ofcom after a BBC investigation earlier this year found dogs on show suffer from genetic diseases following years of inbreeding.

The BBC said it remained "keen" on continuing discussions with the club.

The corporation's contract to show the event was supposed to end in 2010.

The show is still set to go ahead in March next year but the club said it could not comply with the BBC's request for particular breeds to be excluded from the show.

Kennel Club chairman Ronnie Irving said he "was very sorry" that BBC audiences would miss out on the "remarkable diversity" of the show.

"However, we have been forced to reject the insupportable conditions imposed by the BBC, who have told us they will only televise the show in 2009 if certain breeds are excluded from participating.

"We are unable to agree to these demands, as it would compromise both contractual obligations and our general responsibility to dog exhibitors and our audience and we believe it would be inappropriate and counterproductive to exclude any recognised breed from Crufts," he said.

The club said the BBC had failed to "take into account" measures the club had put in place to improve the health of pedigree dogs.

The dispute is believed to centre around at least 12 breeds including the basset hound, the mastiff, the rottweiler and the German shepherd.

The Kennel Club has identified these to be "at risk".

The Kennel Club was featured in a BBC documentary, Pedigree Dogs Exposed, which claimed many pedigree dogs suffered because owners bred them for looks.

The programme also identified the Rhodesian ridgeback and cavalier spaniel as having serious congenital issues.

It showed spaniels with brains too big for their skulls and boxer dogs that suffered from epilepsy.

The Kennel Club has complained that the show was unfairly edited and did not properly reflect its "deep commitment to the health and welfare of dogs".

Ofcom is still investigating.

'New rules'

It is understood that the club was asked to ban "at-risk" breeds from entering only the main competitions including "Best in Show" and the group categories.

They could still enter fringe competitions where the BBC did not concentrate its coverage.

The club has announced it plans to issue new rules about how pedigree dogs should be bred and, in partnership with The Dogs Trust charity, has commissioned an independent review - the results of which are due to revealed in early 2009.

It first set of new breeding standards was for Pekingese dogs, traditionally bred to have a flat face, which the club has admitted "can lead to breathing problems".

Under the new health plan, the breed is required to have a defined muzzle.

More new rules are set to follow over the next few months.

The club is also calling on the government to give it statutory powers to make its Accredited Breeder Scheme compulsory throughout the country - a system that would make it illegal for non-members to produce or sell puppies.

The club said the March event would set the standard for future dog shows and judges would be trained to help ensure all dogs who were awarded prizes were "healthy representatives" of their breed.

The BBC said it had "suspended" the show pending further health and safety investigations.

'Significant steps'

After the documentary was aired, the corporation appointed an independent panel of experts to advise on any future coverage of the Crufts show.

A spokesman said: "Unfortunately we were not able to reach an agreement about how to handle televising the so-called 'at-risk' breeds of pedigree dog and therefore we decided to suspend coverage in 2009."

The corporation said it recognised the Kennel Club had "taken significant steps" to address the problems aired in the documentary and was "keen" to continue discussions reviewing the effects of the changes.

George Entwistle, the controller of BBC Knowlege Commissioning, said people would be disappointed but the corporation had to have confidence the measures taken would be "effective" in addressing the issues raised before the event could be broadcast again.

In October pet food firm Pedigree withdrew its sponsorship of the show while the RSPCA and the Dogs Trust also withdrew their support for the event.

The RSPCA's Mark Evans said the BBC's decision reflected "serious scientific and public concern about pedigree dog welfare" and the show should be concerned less with the "arbitrary appearance" of the the breeds.

Crufts, which was first held in 1891, attracts more than 150,000 visitors a year.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7779686.stm

Can't believe that they won't have the usual coverage? Mind you time for a shake up I guess - who will if anyone cover it?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2008, 12:25 PM
As an Obedience person & the lack of coverage that the BBC have been giving the Crufts Obedience Championships(& the only Championships actually held at Crufts-every dog/bitch that winning the Ob CCs @ Crufts becomes a Champion even if they have only won one Ob CC before)in recently years I won't be missing anything.

The Obedience fraternity have taken it upon themselves to video every round in the Championships & sell DVDs of the videos in aid of the ObedienceUK fund. The coverage is actually far better than anything the BBC has ever done & of course, doesn't have the BBC commentators added who show their lack of knowledge of Obedience every year since they stopped having Obedience people coing the commentating

CRUFTS 2009 GOES ON WITHOUT THE BBC
Today the Kennel Club confirmed that it and the BBC will be unable to continue working together in 2009 for the broadcast of the world’s greatest celebration of dogs, Crufts, which in previous years has attracted over 14 million viewers in the UK and additional audiences worldwide. This position was reached after the Kennel Club regrettably had to refuse to comply with the unreasonable demands insisted on by the BBC, to exclude certain breeds of dog from the group competition at the show. These demands took no account of the measures the Kennel Club has in place to improve the health of pedigree dogs, or of the fact that judges will be trained to help ensure that all dogs being awarded prizes at Crufts will be healthy representatives of their breed.

More than ever, Crufts 2009 will set the standard for all future Kennel Club licensed dog shows and the Kennel Club will be running a comprehensive education programme for judges to ensure that only the healthiest dogs are rewarded in the show ring at Crufts 2009 and beyond.

Ronnie Irving, Kennel Club Chairman, said ”I am very sorry that BBC audiences around the world will not be able to join us in celebrating all dogs in 2009 and to see the remarkable diversity of dogs and activities on show at Crufts; ranging from the show classes to agility displays, the Friends for Life competition and the unsung heroes who take part in breed rescue.

”However, we have been forced to reject the insupportable conditions imposed by the BBC, who have told us they will only televise the show in 2009 if certain breeds are excluded from participating.We are unable to agree to these demands, as it would compromise both contractual obligations and our general responsibility to dog exhibitors and our audience and we believe it would be inappropriate and counterproductive to exclude any recognised breed from Crufts.

“We are obviously disappointed and confused with this outcome as we hoped the broadcast would have supported our focus on health and welfare issues, given advice about caring for and training dogs and showcased the charitable work that we support. This TV exposure would have benefited all dogs and given viewers a well-rounded picture of what the new Crufts in 2009 is all about.”

In October 2008 the Kennel Club announced a clear strategy to show how it is further focusing its activities on the health and welfare of all dogs. It announced mandatory compliance with its strict code of ethics for all breed clubs registered with the Kennel Club.

Earlier this month, it completed its review for each of the 209 pedigree dog breeds in the UK and announced revised standards that will have far-reaching benefits for the health and welfare of dogs. These new breed standards and health plans will benefit from the extensive research that has been funded by the Kennel Club in conjunction with renowned veterinary research centres over a number of years. The overall aim is that all pedigree dogs should be fit for function and that breeders and judges should not reward dogs with obvious conditions or exaggerations, which would be detrimental in any way to their health.

Ronnie Irving added, “Crufts is the world’s best platform to talk to dog owners about how we can work together to ensure their dogs’ health and well being and veterinary and scientific experts will be on hand to explain how research has developed over the last 10 years which can help us to resolve genetic issues generally.

“Dogs and their owners world wide, look forward to Crufts every year and I can promise all dog lovers, anywhere in the world, that the show will go on. I ask all those that care about dogs and animal welfare to support us and to flock to the show to make it the biggest and best ever.

“Crufts 2009 in particular, will focus on thanking the unsung heroes of the dog world, such as breed rescue volunteers who work tirelessly to ensure that unwanted and abandoned dogs find a good home.”
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
who will (if anyone) cover it?
If the audience figures really are around 6 millionI would imagine there will be others interested.

ITV or some of the Sky production companies maybe.

The BBC is a strange organisation, on the one hand they appear to be taking the moral high ground on this issue, but on the other they allow a pre-recorded programme like the Ross / Brand thing to go out unedited.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-12-2008, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
If the audience figures really are around 6 millionI would imagine there will be others interested.

ITV or some of the Sky production companies maybe.

The BBC is a strange organisation, on the one hand they appear to be taking the moral high ground on this issue, but on the other they allow a pre-recorded programme like the Ross / Brand thing to go out unedited.
Other channels will take it up, but it will be for a lot less imo than the bbc pays. If this is the case I can see it having to shrink in size
Im not getting into the ross/brand thing again but I think Angus Deaton got it right at the comedy awards.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

12-12-2008, 01:20 PM
As an exhibitor I for one won't miss them. It will save me having to quickly get my dogs out of the camera peeps way as they rrush to film things with no thought for the poor dogs who happen to be in their way.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2008, 01:55 PM
I dont think the people there showing there dogs will even notice........I wont miss them lol
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-12-2008, 02:02 PM
as Tv goes, it was like watching paint dry anyway
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2008, 02:03 PM
Yaaaaay no Fogle or Spalding. That in itself is a result. Their coverage was mince anyway.

On a serious note, I find it strange that the BBC feel they can dictate terms and claim the moral highground when we all know about their murky past with competition fraud.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2008, 02:38 PM
I hope another channel gets it, I can't stand the BBC's coverage of late.... But I love seeing the dogs and I love seeing the agility too, as well as the showing... I also want to see more focus on ALL breeds, not just the ones the BBC felt fit to show... I mean in this anti dog society, why not focus on those lovely breeds such as the rotties, staff's and bull breeds?? Show that they are not the viscious monsters the media dictates....
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Oh no! How will we stand a year without the sparkling wit and wisdom of the Fogle boy?
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »