Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mcgregorkh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-04-2008, 02:35 PM

Tails what do you do with them?

I posted a pic of my dobermann puppy on the pic thread and it started a debate on what to do with the tails on breeds that were traditionally docked so thought it might be interesting to find out what has been decided (or not as the case may be) in other breeds as well.
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm all for tails in dogs that dont work. I know thats not PC in the dog showing world but I just like to see them as nature intended. That said, if a pup is destined to work, and its tail puts it at risk of injury, then I would have no problem with it being docked by a vet.
I've witnessed the loss of over half of a litter from bleeding to death because a dodgy breeder tried to save a few quid and do it themselves, it's heartbreaking.

My Weimi had a full tail and so does my Patt, neither work(ed) and so their tails didnt present a problem. I believe that any pet dog is at as much ( or as little) risk as another of a tail injury regardless of its breeds docking history. We have treated many Labs who injure their tails by wagging them into things in their own homes (radiators, tables etc), but I wouldn't suggest we docked those dogs "just in case".
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 03:19 PM
You know that is a side of tails that I have not thought of, have wondered if the tail set of each breed will be uniform or it breeders will have to work on it depending what the various breed clubs decide is the correct one.

But how do you present your now tailed animal to the world, do you hold it up, do you let it dangle or should the dog hold it in the approved position without assistance and which breeds will do what.

It brings all sorts of thoughts to mind, a Rottie holding it's tail like a whippet, a boxer like a Beagle reckon a Cocker would look good with it's tail held like an Elkhound but then I may be biased.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 03:30 PM
I am not for or against undocked tails, any breed with a tail can damage it, one of my afghans broke his tail by banging it on a door frame. It will be difficult for previously docked breeds to sort out tail carriage, they will probably be all over the place. I have seen a boxer with a horrendous looking tail and thought oh no, but then seen another one that looked beautiful. In the show ring I would prefer them to be natural, not held by the owner, especially on a handsome dog like a doberman.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Here you go, this is one way some Boxer folk are dealing with tails in the ring.

THE PIC ON THE LEFT,

http://www.scottishboxerclub.com/pp/...py_winners.jpg

Others are just holding then up letting them curve over the top.

Or like this, I dont like the way he is stringing this dog up, or the way he is holding the tail

http://www.emandboxers.co.uk/dogs.htm
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Here you go, this is one way some Boxer folk are dealing with tails in the ring.

THE PIC ON THE LEFT,

http://www.scottishboxerclub.com/pp/...py_winners.jpg

Others are just holding then up letting them curve over the top.

Or like this, I dont like the way he is stringing this dog up, or the way he is holding the tail

http://www.emandboxers.co.uk/dogs.htm
OK, in my opinion, turning the tail sideways like that just makes the dog look awful and the handler look like a complete munpty!

Debs
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 04:36 PM
We hold ours approximatly where the tail would be docked, holding the underside, i've seen a few put them up there sleeves as they used to day on the continent when the dockig ban first came in over there.IMO that looks stupid In Welshies there will have to be a lot of work done by breeders as some of the tails we are seeing out of the ring curl over the back and they should in theory have the tail set similar to a golden retriever, just hoping the ones I'm keeping from the litter are ok but its too soon to say at the moment
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Tail set should be no different docked or undocked as that is where the tail attaches to the body and every breeder should have already been breeding for correct tail set as per their breeds standard.
However, tail type and tail carriage will make a difference and this is what some breeders will need to work on.
Becky
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by surannon View Post
OK, in my opinion, turning the tail sideways like that just makes the dog look awful and the handler look like a complete munpty!

Debs
I completey agree with you, there are a few exhibitors doing this, one is a top kennel so I guess others are following the leader.

The other one is also not good in my opinion, most are just lifting the tail (as if docked ) and allowing the tail to set itself.

Here you go schroll down the page..

http://www.marbeltonboxers.co.uk/OUR-BOXER-SHOW-TEAM
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 05:09 PM
I'm really sorry guys I misunderstood the OP. Forgive my off topic reply
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »