register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Do you use bait with your dog in the ring?
Yes 45 78.95%
No 12 21.05%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 6 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
You can't do much if they are next to you but if you follow them then ask the steward to clear the ring, As a steward I always do and judges do not mind at all, often join in as do sometimes if it is bad the exhibitors.

Have to agree, it is wrong to judge the way a breed is handled by another breed or even how one handler in a breed handles with another in the same breed.

It is the handlers responsibility to get the best from their dog and if you have a breed that is not expected to stand as a statue you need some way to regain attention. With an independent breed, who think they know what is best for them, your voice or eye is not enough, as Archer says at times nothing short than an in-season bitch in your pocket or bum bag would get their attention.

Judges know the breed they are judging and do not expect the same sort of static performance from a breed like the Elkhound or Rottie as they do from a stacked breed or one that is trained to pose, our breeds stand as they land and that is what the judge expects to see, if you place your dog you will be asked to move it and let it be, over trained animals are apt to pose, not a problem with the Elkhound who one hopes will just stop and stand more or less in one place for a few seconds.
Hear hear! Lucky you get still for a few seconds ...ours are more like a nano-second!
Mary
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 11:37 PM
Totally agree.
To be honest I don't care what others do with their dogs regards food, as long as it doesn't interfere with me If I see any food on the floor which may interfere I just throw it out the ring. Anyone with more than one dog will know that all dogs are different and you will try different things to get the best out of your dog. I handle for friends and will take food in as the dog doesn't necessarily know me so I have to keep it's attention more where as the owner might not need it.
As far as i'm concerned does it really matter if people bait or not. As long as there dog is happy being there then what is the problem? What I really hate is watching a dog in the ring and you can clearly see it doesn't want to be there, a statue with no soul in it's eyes. That annoys me more, someone showing for their own ego, not for the enjoyment with the dog.
China
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2008, 04:30 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Yes I use bait. Always have, keeps the dogs attention and rewards them for their patience.
same here but I do hate it when some throw bait in the air and not pick it up, to me thats a big no no
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2008, 06:59 AM
Originally Posted by random View Post
I have to say i'd never seen it in rotts before Crufts and I was quite surprised when a whole cocktail sausage landed at my feet as I was watching at the ringside but there you go. Just got me thinking. Thanks everyone for you views.

Heck, if that happened and we were there, you'd have had Marius landing at G-Force next your feet 2 seconds after it!!!!!!!!!!!lol

Have to say thankfully, I've never seen food thrown at any shows I've attended so far. I think that is rude of people to throw their food and leave it when it will distract other dogs. Hardly sporting, then again - perhaps that's the idea
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2008, 07:08 AM
Think the in-season driping bitch is worse than food although at 18 months my breed are particulaly bothered by sex, well bother by lack of. Had to ask a steward at an open show held in a sports hall to mop the floor because of this once, did not help because she used the mop from the pee bucket and added to the smell rather than remove it.

To take a bitch in that condition into the ring at an open show with mixed classes is taking the desire for a win too far in my opinion.
wendy taylor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2008, 09:48 PM
I get over excited if one of my mastiffs is upright in the ring,let alone worrying about baiting,you tend to have to hold their heads up,by using a collar under ears,and a hand under the dogs chin,they can be really stubborn,and they lean their heads into your hands,so you all end up,leant over,must admit am having fun with new youngster,and am trying baiting,but then with my breed you get massive amounts of drool,and am very proud of the fact if I say feet,and move my hand with food in towards foot thats not positioned right he will move it,
Wendy
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2008, 08:00 AM
Have to admit next to food on the ring floor a big pool of drool is second on my to do list when I'm stewarding, it may by entertaining to see someone go base over apex but it also hurts so out I come with my fist full of tissues. Only wish I was as house proud as I am ring proud but I am not well I own dogs don't I
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2008, 07:23 AM
I get over excited if one of my mastiffs is upright in the ring
love it!
I have a baited breed but I use it very sparingly, the late Polly used to chew the smallest bit for minutes on end which tended to hold up proceedings if I was not careful! Diva leaps up to grab it so I just use it as a reward now once she has done what I have asked and the judge has moved on to the next dog. In a recent Puppy Stakes she insisted on hoovering up after a previous exhibitor before moving, the "droppings" were right in front of the judge so I just made a joke of it, luckily the judge had a sense of humour.
I did hear first hand from an exhibitor in another breed that he had a dog with a bad mouth and disguised it by ramming loads of chicken in white sauce in it's mouth just as he presented the dog so the judge didn't look too far as the mouth was full of gunge! He had at least one champ show BOB using this method!! Tut tut.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by wendy taylor View Post
I get over excited if one of my mastiffs is upright in the ring,
Wendy
amost died laughing when I read that,
Have to admit next to food on the ring floor a big pool of drool is second on my to do list when I'm stewarding, it may by entertaining to see someone go base over apex but it also hurts so out I come with my fist full of tissues. Only wish I was as house proud as I am ring proud but I am not well I own dogs don't I
my house is just one big show ring,, wana visit?
Originally Posted by Deccy View Post
love it!
I have a baited breed but I use it very sparingly, the late Polly used to chew the smallest bit for minutes on end which tended to hold up proceedings if I was not careful! Diva leaps up to grab it so I just use it as a reward now once she has done what I have asked and the judge has moved on to the next dog. In a recent Puppy Stakes she insisted on hoovering up after a previous exhibitor before moving, the "droppings" were right in front of the judge so I just made a joke of it, luckily the judge had a sense of humour.
I did hear first hand from an exhibitor in another breed that he had a dog with a bad mouth and disguised it by ramming loads of chicken in white sauce in it's mouth just as he presented the dog so the judge didn't look too far as the mouth was full of gunge! He had at least one champ show BOB using this method!! Tut tut.
Hi Deccy, {sorry bit of topic} Thanks so much for the rosettes, will be very useful for the newbys at training, your a jem,. x
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Think the in-season driping bitch is worse than food although at 18 months my breed are particulaly bothered by sex, well bother by lack of. Had to ask a steward at an open show held in a sports hall to mop the floor because of this once, did not help because she used the mop from the pee bucket and added to the smell rather than remove it.

To take a bitch in that condition into the ring at an open show with mixed classes is taking the desire for a win too far in my opinion.
Oh don't get me started, Maddy's first champ show, SKC, she was behind an in season bitch in the line up, heavily dripping and got snapped at for being interested in her and then got the dirtiest look from the owner for making her dog snap in the ring, she still got placed 2nd I think, we got chucked, Maddy went to pieces.
Page 6 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >