register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Do you use bait with your dog in the ring?
Yes 45 78.95%
No 12 21.05%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by Foo View Post
The very first post asks for us to be completely honest
I was thinking more of the gwp's that ive shown for the past 10yrs not just my viz.
Why you should feel like that staggers me... just saying my opinion as I clearly stated.

I think it's the complete and obvious lack of understanding of how other breeds are shown/stood that resulted in that reply. Not all breeds are topped and tailed and to think that using bait means you can't handle is beyond ridiculous IMO.

Debs
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Honestly not wishing to offend but if a titbit is more interesting that a handler for the short time in the ring it doesnt say a great deal for the handlers skills IMHO.
Think it is that part of your statement that is offensive, you clearly stated that you think anyone who presents their dogs in a manner different to you are in some way lacking in skill.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 04:08 PM
Honestly not wishing to offend but if a titbit is more interesting that a handler for the short time in the ring it doesnt say a great deal for the handlers skills IMHO.

This statement IS insulting....it comletely lacks comprehension that not all breeds are 100% people orientated and that different breeds have different needs.
My daughter shows my dogs for me...she baits obviously .Last year at the club champ show she was seen by a a top USA breeder/exhibitor who then offered to take her to America to handle out there ...so she obviouslt doesn't lack handling skills.
IMO it takes more 'talent' to free stand an independant breed than to hold a dogs head and tail in position after positioning the dogs feet into the correct place....but I would never knock handlers of stacked breeds......we all do as we need to for our chosen breed.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Yes, I use bait. But, would NEVER throw any food in the ring to get attention OR shove tons of it down his neck either.

I hate seeing that myself and there could be nothing worse for a judge than trying to look at teeth for them to be smothered in food! I also think it is very rude of someone to deliberately throw food to get their dogs attention and totally uneccessary!

I've been in the ring and had food whizzing past me too!!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 04:52 PM
I never have used anything in the ring. I expect my dog to be able to stand still on command and for this the reward is verbal. Its not as if the judge is blind lol they can see those that do it because they're trained to behave in a certain way and those who need food stuffed in their faces to look remotely interested Honestly not wishing to offend but if a titbit is more interesting that a handler for the short time in the ring it doesnt say a great deal for the handlers skills IMHO.
Your first 3 breeds and the Lurcher are all "held" breeds, in fact, the HPR breeds have their mouthes held shut! What does that say about handling? Nothing to me, its just the way the breed is showed, like others who are baited.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
Yes, I use bait. But, would NEVER throw any food in the ring to get attention OR shove tons of it down his neck either.

I hate seeing that myself and there could be nothing worse for a judge than trying to look at teeth for them to be smothered in food! I also think it is very rude of someone to deliberately throw food to get their dogs attention and totally uneccessary!

I've been in the ring and had food whizzing past me too!!
I had a latex Chicken fly past me once, from the great Dane ring!!
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-04-2008, 05:15 PM
I use bait, but in small quantities, 2 or 3 small pieces of chicken.
What annoys me is the competitors dropping bait on the floor, intentionally or otherwise, the worst offenders are the Boxer owners, they throw it all over the ring, many a time I've seen dogs being moved across the ring and their dog stopping to pick up a bit of bait that's on the floor, it ruins the dogs movement and will probably influence a judge's decision IMO.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
OMG!!!!!!! Well, it's different anyway!!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
GSD's are the one breed when I stand and watch, Im never really sure whats going on in the ring, they are shown very diff from anything I think {I could be wrong though}
This is why I try & persuade GSD novice owners to go to a breed club for show training rather than an all breed club if they are only going to one as it is different in many ways.

Hand on heart if someone called me about ring training for GSD's I would need to say sorry no can do, I wouldnt know where to start funny though I have never had a call about it, so guessing most folk moving into showing know the score, I have never seen a GSD at Normal ring craft either tbh, but then I dont really go to ring craft,, think I have been three times in my life
Your first 3 breeds and the Lurcher are all "held" breeds, in fact, the HPR breeds have their mouthes held shut! What does that say about handling? Nothing to me, its just the way the breed is showed, like others who are baited.
Right so they cant be baited anyway but I must ask,,,Why are they shown with there mouth held shut?
{If you dont ask you never learn} thats my defence for not having a clue,

I would have kept that, I bet the rotts would have loved it
Originally Posted by nero View Post
I use bait, but in small quantities, 2 or 3 small pieces of chicken.
What annoys me is the competitors dropping bait on the floor, intentionally or otherwise, the worst offenders are the Boxer owners, they throw it all over the ring, many a time I've seen dogs being moved across the ring and their dog stopping to pick up a bit of bait that's on the floor, it ruins the dogs movement and will probably influence a judge's decision IMO.
your an old miser with bait,,,
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Hand on heart if someone called me about ring training for GSD's I would need to say sorry no can do, I wouldnt know where to start funny though I have never had a call about it, so guessing most folk moving into showing know the score, I have never seen a GSD at Normal ring craft either tbh, but then I dont really go to ring craft,, think I have been three times in my life

Right so they cant be baited anyway but I must ask,,,Why are they shown with there mouth held shut?
{If you dont ask you never learn} thats my defence for not having a clue,

I would have kept that, I bet the rotts would have loved it

your an old miser with bait,,,
Maybe so, but I don't drop it all over the place.
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >