register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Do you use bait with your dog in the ring?
Yes 45 78.95%
No 12 21.05%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
susanatlasinski
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2008, 11:01 AM
Siberians are also a free standind breed and like the elkhounds are very independant and get easily bored (typical spitz) so They are normally baited too, as a judge I hate to see Sibes stacked as they never look relaxed and natural. I also dislike seeing Sibes standing like stuffed toys, much prefer to see a bit of the Sibe character in the ring. Sibe owners never normally throw bait because if they did then the dog would be off like a shot to get it.

I remember at an open show, sitting at the ringside watching the boxers, when a piece of liver flew through the air and down the front of my top....thankfully the boxer didn't follow
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by susanatlasinski View Post
I remember at an open show, sitting at the ringside watching the boxers, when a piece of liver flew through the air and down the front of my top....thankfully the boxer didn't follow
Now that conjures up a picture
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Well I voted no as I never have baited as an exhibitor only as a judge to get ears up but must admit with the clamp down on outside attraction more & more GSDs are doing it. As for boredom in large classes this is where I enjoy being a GSD owner when exhibiting or judging but hate it when stewarding as, at big breed open & champ shows, most GSDs don't stay in the ring while individuals are being done.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
I have to say i'd never seen it in rotts before Crufts and I was quite surprised when a whole cocktail sausage landed at my feet as I was watching at the ringside but there you go. Just got me thinking. Thanks everyone for you views.

gezz kel, wonder if its a new faddy thing, what next I wonder,, double handling? I never thought I would see the day throwing bait would work for rotties,, its so unfair to others too, dogs would hoover there way round,{it could be a conspiracy the throwers dog dont like sausage but most of the other dogs in the ring will lol
Siberians are also a free standind breed and like the elkhounds are very independant and get easily bored (typical spitz) so They are normally baited too, as a judge I hate to see Sibes stacked as they never look relaxed and natural. I also dislike seeing Sibes standing like stuffed toys, much prefer to see a bit of the Sibe character in the ring. Sibe owners never normally throw bait because if they did then the dog would be off like a shot to get it.

that made me laugh,,, I can just imagine your face fishing it out,, {did your have your lovely girl with you? im my mind serves me rigtht she can sniff a crumb of liver through a wall, you damn lucky she didnt get it,,lol
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
Well I voted no as I never have baited as an exhibitor only as a judge to get ears up but must admit with the clamp down on outside attraction more & more GSDs are doing it. As for boredom in large classes this is where I enjoy being a GSD owner when exhibiting or judging but hate it when stewarding as, at big breed open & champ shows, most GSDs don't stay in the ring while individuals are being done.
GSD's are the one breed when I stand and watch, Im never really sure whats going on in the ring, they are shown very diff from anything I think {I could be wrong though}
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 01:17 PM
It didn't seem to work anyway Shona though that's the thing! Maybe just someone trying it out I don't know?
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Was a few bits of dropped bait too and I just feel it's over used in some cases. In rotts I have seen they usually throw it up and catch it to get their attention, which is fine, if you can catch!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 01:27 PM
It didn't seem to work anyway Shona though that's the thing! Maybe just someone trying it out I don't know?
So Desparation on the part of the handler may come into it,

Was a few bits of dropped bait too and I just feel it's over used in some cases. In rotts I have seen they usually throw it up and catch it to get their attention, which is fine, if you can catch!
I have done this,,{I can catch though, if I missed it still wouldnt hit the deck, rotts are so good at flying food catching } Im would think few in the rottie ring could perform such a manover { you would need to let go of the lead with one hand to do it}
MY BAD.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 01:31 PM
GSD's are the one breed when I stand and watch, Im never really sure whats going on in the ring, they are shown very diff from anything I think {I could be wrong though}
This is why I try & persuade GSD novice owners to go to a breed club for show training rather than an all breed club if they are only going to one as it is different in many ways.
Foo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2008, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
I'm afraid I do find that slightly insulting...I think it very much depends on the breed.I see you have a visla(loyal gundog)....try showing a head strong independant breed like an elkhound which in most circumstances find anything more interesting than their owners...esp at a large dog show.
Also I have seen dogs stood for more than a 'short time' whilst being judged...elkhounds get bored,and on a bad day even a rump steak can't keep some of them from doing as the please. sometimes wonder why I didn't buy a border collie
The very first post asks for us to be completely honest
I was thinking more of the gwp's that ive shown for the past 10yrs not just my viz.
Why you should feel like that staggers me... just saying my opinion as I clearly stated.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 03:41 PM

LMAO too funny, yuk liver
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »