register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Do you use bait with your dog in the ring?
Yes 45 78.95%
No 12 21.05%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Agree thrown food in a pain but guess if everyone in the breed do it then it should not be a problem.

The steward should really keep an eye on the situation and pick the bait up before another breed enters the ring.

If we are talking breeds think the worse is the Boxers but may be having been hit in the ear with a toy being thrown from the next ring colours my thoughts on the matter.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2008, 09:13 PM
Have to admit i voted no as I read it and put in my mind the likes of the rotti ring. I admit however I do keep a few pieces of sausage in my pocket, however it's rarely used. It's just for a back up if something was to occur in or out of the ring and i need an extra backup just in case. I don't use it at any time in front of the judge or while the dog is being shown. I might give him something after the judge has finished with him as a treat. I do very rarely throw something on the floor to get his ears up if he's being laid back and needs to focus on something. I only do this though after he's run round and i'm free standing him in front of the judge. I'll then pick it up so it's not a distraction to others in the ring. I would never throw anything in the line with other dogs as I believe in playing fair.
I remember being in a couple of groups in the line up and bits of liver, sausage etc have come flying from behind and landing near my dogs head. Wasn't happy but to my dogs credit he concentrated on the job in hand.
My pet hate is people with toys or things that they throw around in the ring. I got clobbered at one show on the head by a missile coming from the ring next door which had German Shepherds.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Yes Jackie it was the Boxer fraternity I was thinking of when I said 'a certain breed'.

When I started showing in 1971, it was handling Labradors for other people, and baiting was and probably still is the norm in Labs. It wasn't anything like the baiting that goes on nowadays though. We had a little pouch thingy with the bait inside and it was enough to put your hand into the pouch to get the dogs attention at the right moment. The next step was to actually get the bait into your hand and rather encourage the dog to think about how long it might take you to actually deliver his titbit.

It's much much better to see dogs baited this way, than to continuously stuff the dogs faces with food to the point that the judge can't see their natural alert expression because the handlers hands are in the way.

Dawn R.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2008, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by Nursey View Post
Yes Jackie it was the Boxer fraternity I was thinking of when I said 'a certain breed'. Dawn R.
Thought it would be I used to show Boxers before I had beardies and remember one club champ show where the judge said no baiting much to everyones horror
Foo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-04-2008, 10:23 PM
I never have used anything in the ring. I expect my dog to be able to stand still on command and for this the reward is verbal. Its not as if the judge is blind lol they can see those that do it because they're trained to behave in a certain way and those who need food stuffed in their faces to look remotely interested Honestly not wishing to offend but if a titbit is more interesting that a handler for the short time in the ring it doesnt say a great deal for the handlers skills IMHO.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2008, 10:29 PM
With Maddy i'd give her something as we joined the back of the line after being gone over and moved for the judge and would always give her something on the way out of the ring as a 'well done' for her performance so I voted yes.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 12:57 AM
Originally Posted by Foo View Post
I never have used anything in the ring. I expect my dog to be able to stand still on command and for this the reward is verbal. Its not as if the judge is blind lol they can see those that do it because they're trained to behave in a certain way and those who need food stuffed in their faces to look remotely interested Honestly not wishing to offend but if a titbit is more interesting that a handler for the short time in the ring it doesnt say a great deal for the handlers skills IMHO.
I'm afraid I do find that slightly insulting...I think it very much depends on the breed.I see you have a visla(loyal gundog)....try showing a head strong independant breed like an elkhound which in most circumstances find anything more interesting than their owners...esp at a large dog show.
Also I have seen dogs stood for more than a 'short time' whilst being judged...elkhounds get bored,and on a bad day even a rump steak can't keep some of them from doing as the please. sometimes wonder why I didn't buy a border collie
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 01:04 AM
Originally Posted by random View Post
To get the dog's attention so it looks 'alert' when they are freestood mostly.
I really dont agree with throwing bait, I have to say I have never seen it in the rottie ring yet, but will keep an eye out for it now, IF I THREW bait, rotties being rotties I would land in the same spot about half a second after the bait, geezzz can you imagine, It could cause a bit of spatting amoung the less well behaved dogs too, appart from that yup I use it, If my dog does as asked of him, he gets his reward, rotties like food,, well my lot anyway,, so thats what I use, they have toys in training too, but they expect the toy and food if they do well geeeezzz
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 01:14 AM
Originally Posted by Foo View Post

Not sure what the class sizes are in your breed but as a rottie owner,,,we can have a fair amount of dogs in the ring, hence we can be in there a while, As someone who did obed for years, {where no food, toys, allowed} then after getting out of novice, you cant even talk to the dog, I have to say I know what its like to work with and without rewards other than vocal, but at least in obed your on the go,, not stood still {and lets face it,, dogs get fed up stood there looking at you} so I see no harm in it, I train dog too, but use bait,, does that make me a lesser handler than you?
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 01:22 AM
Originally Posted by random View Post
I started thinking about it whilst watching the rotts at Crufts, now this is a breed which is baited 99.9% of the time, but the amount of dropped bait, thrown bait, dogs having bait shoved in their faces and into their mouths to keep them still and to move their legs, pushing the bait into their face to move them back, this is where I despair, dogs having to nibble at bits of sausage to keep them from moving as the judge goes over them and this is at Crufts. I don't know what others think about that and I have no problems with bait being used when it is used appropriately as a reward, but not as a bribe. JMO.
I've never seen this in the Rottie rings, BUT the Boxer rings AARRRRRGGGGG !!!! and we are always in after them Drives us all mad. Loads if yummy different treats strewn around the ring, not to mention the squeaking of ridiculous toys to get their attention ! If we are not in after them, we always seem to be next to them, and it drives the dogs insane with all the the food throwing and squeaking

All the Rotts down my end are free stood and very nice they are too

I use bait, but only as a treat reward, to keep their attention, as they know it's coming .......................... soon !
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »