register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Do you use bait with your dog in the ring?
Yes 45 78.95%
No 12 21.05%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2008, 08:23 PM

Baiting in the ring

Just wanted to know if you bait your dog in the ring and what you think of it. Will add my views later as I don't want to sway anyone as i'd like honest answers please. Obviously it is more common in some breeds than others but I was just having one of those random thoughts so would like your input. Cheers!
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Yes...elkhounds are always baited...they are free stood and attention held with small titbits.No throwing of bait and no shoving of food down the dogs neck while the judge goes over them.
It is HIGHLY frowned upon in our breed to touch the dog at all when standing...we do not pace feet or position tails etc...it must all be done by the dog,hence the bait
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Yes I use bait. Always have, keeps the dogs attention and rewards them for their patience.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Yes me too for reward.

I don't believe in throwing food around the ring though, as seems popular among exhibitors of a certain breed. It's very distracting for the other dogs, particularly in variety classes where the other breeds are not used to that sort of thing.

Dawn R.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Yes, I have Elkhounds too, no touching your dog and no throwing food or toys. Most only give the tit bit after the dog has performed, say when you return to the line after being seen by the judge or after you leave the ring. Amusing really because the dogs outside the ring know that treats will be available as a class leave the ring and they too stand around in hope of being included, they usually are.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2008, 08:55 PM
I started thinking about it whilst watching the rotts at Crufts, now this is a breed which is baited 99.9% of the time, but the amount of dropped bait, thrown bait, dogs having bait shoved in their faces and into their mouths to keep them still and to move their legs, pushing the bait into their face to move them back, this is where I despair, dogs having to nibble at bits of sausage to keep them from moving as the judge goes over them and this is at Crufts. I don't know what others think about that and I have no problems with bait being used when it is used appropriately as a reward, but not as a bribe. JMO.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Could I ask why people throw food in the ring? Just I've never seen it before..

I don't show so haven't voted, but I do like to go and watch the odd show when I can. It's always nice to see dogs rewarded but i think it can look a bit unprofessional when people are constantly feeding their dogs (not that it really matters i suppose). Sometimes it seems like they're doing it to clam their own nerves!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
Could I ask why people throw food in the ring? Just I've never seen it before..

I don't show so haven't voted, but I do like to go and watch the odd show when I can. It's always nice to see dogs rewarded but i think it can look a bit unprofessional when people are constantly feeding their dogs (not that it really matters i suppose). Sometimes it seems like they're doing it to clam their own nerves!
To get the dog's attention so it looks 'alert' when they are freestood mostly.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
To get the dog's attention so it looks 'alert' when they are freestood mostly.
aaah thanks.. can see how it could be distracting to other dogs - especially as some rings are absolutely tiny..
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
aaah thanks.. can see how it could be distracting to other dogs - especially as some rings are absolutely tiny..
And they don't pick it up so when you move your dog and it goes to eat the bits on the floor... Especially being a weim/hoover!
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »