Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
metalmorphosis
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-04-2005, 10:31 AM

BARF/Raw Diets

Just a few questions for those of you that feed raw.

I've been toying with the idea for a while now, because I know so many owners and breeders rate it so highly, because Cleo is fussy and not eating as much as she should be, and because Hoofa has sensitive skin. We've tried them on Burns, James Wellbeloved and at the moment they are on Autarky with some tinned food to get Cleo to eat it. Hoofa is looking wonderful but Cleo's getting fussy again and really not eating enough. She is 10 months and was on 6 handfuls 3x daily but we took it down to the same amount 2x daily to try and persuade her to eat, but she still leaves a lot of it.

It all seems very confusing and I'm worried about the conflicting information I've read. Some people swear by fruit and veg, others claim it's not necessary. Same with supplements, I don't want them to be missing out but I know it can be detrimental if they are supplemented "just in case".

Also I'm worried about cost. Surely feeding whole chicken carcasses is pretty expensive?

Also I can't really find much on the actual quantities required, I know it's meant to be feeding by eye to an extent, I'd just like to know roughly.

Thanks in advance
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

03-04-2005, 12:00 PM
Note: Please use this thread to answer questions and provide info only - do not turn it into a debate or glorification!

edited to add:

Anyone else considering the BARF diet may wish to read peoples opinions:

Why some feed Barf here: http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/showthread.php?t=7181

And why some don't feed Barf here: http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/showthread.php?t=7180
bobbie3917
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2005, 12:28 PM
i dont think it cost to much but i do think it cost more than dry food but less than tinned. i get most of my food from the pet shop and butcher.
and i think they should have 2% of there body weight but im not 100% sure of that. i could not tell you have much mine eat per day but they are not to fat or to skinny.
mine do get veg and sometimes fruit but only about 5 times a week some times a little more/less. and i did worry about then thought that not every1 eats healthy every day.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2005, 12:32 PM
I don't feed raw but have been toying with the idea too. This website helps quite a bit, but doesn't give an idea of quantities unfortunately. But it looks quite cheap to feed raw from what I have read.
http://www.landywoods.co.uk/
bobbie3917
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2005, 12:54 PM
now i tried to order off them and they did not really know what they were doing. i would of had to meet them some where but you could not say where ot what time.
but if i could order off them they it would be very cheep.
i now order off http://www.prizechoice.co.uk/ and im getting it for about the same as the petshop does
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-04-2005, 02:58 PM
Could you be creating a picky eater? Cleo, in 10 months, seems to have been on quite a few foods. I made this error with my first...until the vet took me by the shoulders, shook me and told me stick with one food.

When I did raw I added kelp powder, vitamin C powder, flaxseed oil and veggies to the base meat. I would love to tell you where I found the 'recipe' but I just can't remember. Everything had a reason for addition ??
metalmorphosis
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-04-2005, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the replies/links. I went out today and got some chicken wings, liver, kidneys and tinned fish so I may mix a little with her dried food today and see how it goes.

Mr. Spock...the main reason for diet changing is more for Hoofa than her, because of his skin we were recommended different foods but after a few months I never saw much of a change, and obviously it's far easier for them both to eat the same. They aren't fed ad-lib and if she doesn't eat straight away I take it away, thinking she'll eat eventually when she gets hungry enough, but she barely touches it. Much the same as me as a child...if I didn't like it I wouldn't eat it, regardless of whether I got nothing else!
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2005, 06:07 PM
We changed to raw because Gus was licking his feet continuously due to food sensitivity- and havent looked back Best thing we did
We feed veggies, pasta, fish as well as meat and offal. Only supplements we feed are kelp and starflower caps for Libby
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2005, 06:12 PM
I feed Raw and it costs me considerably less than feeding dry or tinned.
I use Landywoods and the food is good quality and delivered to my door.
The thing with raw is that there are different ways of doing it...the same as complete foods vary.Some feed vegs ,some don't.Some suppliment,some don't etc.
If you want me to tell you what I feed etc feel free to PM me and I'll explain.
I also had a very picky eater who would eat maybe every 3 days...if you want I can tell you how I sorted him out...he now cleans his bowl EVERY night!!!!!
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2005, 08:50 AM
My dogs are the same as Archers, they eat everything in their bowl now they are on a raw diet, I would go easy on the liver (too much vit A) only give it say once a week and not loads of it , pleanty of muscle meat is good, and of course the bones, I get my meat from Landywood, but recently they have had a few problems as they have been moving premises, there business got too big too soon, when I found out about this company I told many of my raw feeding friends in the siberian and Malamute circles about it and they all order from them they in turn told all their friends etc etc. they are very friendly and are trying to widen their delivery areas, the meat is of good quality, (which I found not to be the case in some other well known raw foods) and is solid meat and bones ground down, rather than a watery feed.

Mo
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >