Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
As for rules, there are certain classes for a reason and Pedigree classes are for dogs who are eligible for KC Registration (whether they are/or will be registered or not). It's the eligibility factor, that many ignore. I've been to many KC affiliated Companion shows where people have entered Labradoodles and Inuits into the KC Pedigree classes, which is also not allowed, but the organisers and Judge say nothing and let it ride.
Well I'm offended!!

Pedigree in its own right means traceable history & bred pure. Northern Inuits in their own right are pedigree's they have a traceable history right back to the very first dogs ever used, and are only bred to other Northern Inuits (as has been the case for a very long time now) they are pure bred.

I can understand us not being elligable for some of the more specific classes (such as working, or named breed classes etc) but in an open pedigree class for all different breeds of pedigree dog to be shown in the same ring I don't see why we shouldn't be allowed in.

Regarding organisers & judges not saying anything, have you ever stopped to think that it may have been those people who actually told the owners they were elligable to enter the pedigree classes?

I have taken my NI's to many a companion show, I don't just go ahead & enter my dogs into pedigree classes because I feel they should be allowed, at these avents I always approcach the organisers & judge & politely explain that my dogs are not a KC registered breed, dog have society pedigree's (full traceble history) & are bred pure NI to NI, at some shows they tell me that yes in that case my dogs are eligable & other they tell me I am not, I don't get offended eather way & still do the novelty classes.

I actually attended one show where I was told I was elligable for a mixed pedigree class (which I entered) the judge was very interested in my dog but didn't place it after someone ran in the ring & told the judge I was not to be placed as NI's don't qualify as a pedigree .
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Hi sam's mam,

No, i'm referring to the discussion at Bridge of Weir last weekend where a few of us were discussing the issue. All agreed, including yourself I think (correct me if i'm wrong though), that dogs should be entered in one type of show or the other, not both as it's not fair.

Regarding organising the dog show in Greenock. As far as i'm aware, it is the only Companion dog show here, as the PDSA one is not being held this year. Also, you could have delegated some of the duties involved in organising the annual Companion dog show, you did not. I have always told you if you need any help with anything, you only have to ask.

I also didn't know there was a set comittee! That's a new one to me.

Yes, I will be coming along to our annual show, of course I will. Whether or not I enter the pedigree classes, I am not sure. I am still thinking about this one.

See you Saturday.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2007, 12:18 PM
Well now you can tell them as long as it doesn't mention a group or breed you are perfectly legitimate to enter an AV puppy/novice/open etc class!
Becky
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

21-06-2007, 12:22 PM
Can I ask why you only enter the pedigree classes at Companion show, and never the novelty classes? Just wondering.

Hi Nicola I did not say I never enter the fun classes. I said I mostly choose not to, the reason for this is twofold -one there are not a lot of fun clases that would suit my breed for instance the Dog with the waggiest tail would not. If I do enter it is usually only in the Most Handsome Dog or the Dog the judge would most like to take home. Reason two is because these classes are last and by that time I am usually in pain with my hip from the Osteo Porosis and just want to go home. Hope this has answered your question to your satisfaction and that you no longer need to wonder.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
Can I ask why you only enter the pedigree classes at Companion show, and never the novelty classes? Just wondering.

Hi Nicola I did not say I never enter the fun classes. I said I mostly choose not to, the reason for this is twofold -one there are not a lot of fun clases that would suit my breed for instance the Dog with the waggiest tail would not. If I do enter it is usually only in the Most Handsome Dog or the Dog the judge would most like to take home. Reason two is becausw these classes are last and by that time I am usually in pain with my hip from the Osteo Porosis and just want to go home. Hope this has answered your question to your satisfaction and that you no longer need to wonder.
Hi Eunice,

A perfectly adequate explanation!

I do think you should be entering them in Most Handsome Dog though.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2007, 12:43 PM
When I judge at companion shows I never exclude non KC breeds such as NI's or working springers etc. at the last show I helped organise we had a girl travel up from Leicester to Hull after seeing the advert on here. She had GSD but not the recognised type (sorry didnt understand it) We were happy to let her enter the AV classes.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2007, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Ey up Patch!
Which level of show dog? Well any KC registered dog can enter a KC show, be it, companion (which no KC reg is required) limit, open or championship. Its up to the owner to deem whether or not the dog is of a standard good enough to compete at the level for which it is entered.

I personally dont think well winning dogs should be exhibited at companion shows, stud book number winners, res CC and CC, or champs cant anyway, but a good quality exhibit IMO should be entering open and above level, but thats just me. Saying that, I do think companion shows are excellent for puppies, an informal occasion with no pressure.
Dawn.
By `which level of Show dog ` I mean those which have had some wins in Showing, bearing in mind there are already Rules on this at KC Companion shows as you rightly mention, but not at unaffiliated shows.
My apologies, I could have been clearer in my original post :smt001
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by angelmist View Post

I actually attended one show where I was told I was elligable for a mixed pedigree class (which I entered) the judge was very interested in my dog but didn't place it after someone ran in the ring & told the judge I was not to be placed as NI's don't qualify as a pedigree .

I think getting hung up on the word `pedigree` is probably the crux of your example. In `pedigree` classes, its not about a list of names a dog is bred from.

Whether having an on-paper Pedigree or not, its about breeds which are officially recognised at the time and for which there are recognised Breed Standards under the KC so I do think it would be correct that a non-recognised breed or type is not eligible for those classes, how can a judge properly judge a dog which has no formal Standard within the bounds of a KC judges official limits ?

There are varying breed recognitions from country to country [ for instance the Canadian KC does not recognise Border Collie as a breed ], so it would apply to whichever breed someone wants to enter in whichever country.

I can legitimately enter my unpapered BCs in a UK show in the Pedigree classes but not in Canada for instance, thats just the way it is and has always been for any breed until given official recognition in whichever country :smt102

[ No I would`nt expect my BCs with major faults - being white and genetically deaf - to be seriously entertained in a Pedigree class :smt005 though I have entered Defa before now in a pedigree class at a small show with few classes because the charity needed every penny they could get in entries and I did have a mutual laugh with the judge with a comment of `izzit cos `ee iz white` ].
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2007, 04:05 PM
I haven't been to any companion shows this year but I do enjoy them and would hate it if I couldn't show my dogs there.

As I'm unemployed I haven't been able to afford to take my dogs to championship or open shows, the companion shows give me the chance to, on a whim, and if I've got a few quid in my purse, to have a lovely day out and show my beautiful dogs to anyone that wants to see them.

To me its not about winning a rosette, its enjoying a day out with my best friends and helping a charity at the same time
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

21-06-2007, 04:45 PM
To me its not about winning a rosette, its enjoying a day out with my best friends and helping a charity at the same time

Hi Sheree I agree and if you took the handsome Bradley along he could sell his snuggly hugs and donate the proceeds to the charity. I for one would donate gladly.
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 27 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »