View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2007, 08:19 PM

Official KC Companion Shows - your thoughts on eligibility...

Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Fun/Companion Dog Show in aid of W.A.G. (Waterside Action Group who campaign against puppy farming). Saturday 23rd June 07. Gourock Park, Larkfield Road, Gourock. (Around 40 minutes from Glasgow).

Exemption Show held under Kennel Club rules.

Registration from 12noon. Judging commences at 1pm.

There are fun classes, pedigree classes and fun obedience classes. The local dog agility club will also be there. Something for all dogs to take part in.

There will be a tombola stall, cake & candy and a stall selling hamburgers, hot dogs and soft drinks.

There will be perpetual trophies in all classes for 1st place winners. Rosettes 1st to 6th place. Food sponsorship for all classes. Spectators welcome. Free admission. Come and have a fun day out.

This annual show is run by Inverclyde Dog Agility Club and Inverclyde Dog Training Club.

Hope to see some of you there. I'll add more details as I receive them.
After several talks over the weekend, we have decided to try and clamp down on unfair entries.

We strongly believe that it is unfair for dogs who are family pets, first and foremost, who are not shown formally under the Kennel Club to be shown against dogs who are shown formally under the Kennel Club in order to obtain official titles.

Dogs which have won any of the following are not eligible for entry at Companion Dog Shows held under Kennel Club Rules and Regulations:

1. Challenge Certificate, or any award that counts towards the title of Champion under the rules of any governing body recognised by the Kennel Club. (Pedigree Classes only).

2. Reserve Challenge Certificate. (Pedigree Classes only).

3. Junior Warrant. (Pedigree Classes only).

4. Obedience Certificate. (Obedience Classes only).

The Pedigree classes are as follows:

AV Sporting
AV Non Sporting
AV Open
AV Puppy 6 - 12 Months

The Novelty classes are as follows:

Prettiest Bitch
Most Handsome Dog
Best 6 Legs
Best Party Trick
Best Crossbreed Dog or Bitch
Waggiest Tail
Best Veteran Dog or Bitch 7 Years and Over
Dog the judge would most like to take home

We have many sponsors this year, some of which are from:

Burns Pet Nutrition
James Wellbeloved
Vitalin
Pedigree
Gilpa
Clinivet
The Company of Animals
Total Nutrition Foods
Wilson's
Pascoe's
Burgess
Ancol
Abbey Veterinary Group
Shore Veterinary Centre Ltd
Pamered Pets Dog Grooming Ltd....
...Plus many more sponsors.

The Petshop Postie will also be there.

Winner or the Junior Handling classes, and Reserve Winner will receive a special prize of a family pass courtesy of the Glasgow Science Centre.

Hope to see some of you there on Saturday 23rd June!
sam's mam
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-06-2007, 03:16 PM
in Reply To Westie_n Regarding The Fun Dog Show Being Held In Gourock Park Larkfield Road Gourock On Saturday 23rd June, As An Organiser I Would Like To State That No Conversation Took Place With Any Of The Other Organisers Regarding Clamping Down On Any Entries From Any Dog Owners Whether Pedigree, Kennel Club Registered Or Otherwise. I Can Only Assume This Is A Personal View And Not That Of The Committee

Standard Kennel Club Rules For Companion Dog Shows Apply As Per Schedule. The Onus Is On The Entrant To Comply.

We Welcome All Entrants To Our Show And If You Happen To Have Any Of The Awards That Exclude You From Entering Our Pedigree Classes Then Congratulations! However Do Not Forget That You Can Still Enter Most Fun Classes And Obedience If You Wish. Registration Is From Noon With Judging Commencing In Each Of The 3 Rings From 1pm

The Emphasis Of The Show Is To Come Along And Have Fun With Your Dog As Well As Raise Money For A Worthwhile Cause. If Anyone Requires Any Further Information Do Not Hesitate To Contact Myra On 01475 711314
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2007, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
After several talks over the weekend, we have decided to try and clamp down on unfair entries.

We strongly believe that it is unfair for dogs who are family pets, first and foremost, who are not shown formally under the Kennel Club to be shown against dogs who are shown formally under the Kennel Club in order to obtain official titles.

Dogs which have won any of the following are not eligible for entry at Companion Dog Shows held under Kennel Club Rules and Regulations:

1. Challenge Certificate, or any award that counts towards the title of Champion under the rules of any governing body recognised by the Kennel Club. (Pedigree Classes only).

2. Reserve Challenge Certificate. (Pedigree Classes only).

3. Junior Warrant. (Pedigree Classes only).

4. Obedience Certificate. (Obedience Classes only).

The Pedigree classes are as follows:

AV Sporting
AV Non Sporting
AV Open
AV Puppy 6 - 12 Months

The Novelty classes are as follows:

Prettiest Bitch
Most Handsome Dog
Best 6 Legs
Best Party Trick
Best Crossbreed Dog or Bitch
Waggiest Tail
Best Veteran Dog or Bitch 7 Years and Over
Dog the judge would most like to take home

We have many sponsors this year, some of which are from:

Burns Pet Nutrition
James Wellbeloved
Vitalin
Pedigree
Gilpa
Clinivet
The Company of Animals
Total Nutrition Foods
Wilson's
Pascoe's
Burgess
Ancol
Abbey Veterinary Group
Shore Veterinary Centre Ltd
Pamered Pets Dog Grooming Ltd....
...Plus many more sponsors.

The Petshop Postie will also be there.

Winner or the Junior Handling classes, and Reserve Winner will receive a special prize of a family pass courtesy of the Glasgow Science Centre.

Hope to see some of you there on Saturday 23rd June!
Sorry but i have to disagree. Whilst i agree that dogs with stud book numbers shouldnt be shown at companion shows in the pedigree classes (they can go in the novelty ones by the way) You state its not fair on family pets competing against dogs who are formally shown. Most of us who show our dogs enjoy the relaxed atmosphere of a companion show and use them as ring craft practise whilst giving to good causes.
Pet dogs who are cross breeds shouldnt be entered in the pedigree classes anyway, but most of us who compete turn a blind eye as the empasis should be on FUN
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by sam's mam View Post
in Reply To Westie_n Regarding The Fun Dog Show Being Held In Gourock Park Larkfield Road Gourock On Saturday 23rd June, As An Organiser I Would Like To State That No Conversation Took Place With Any Of The Other Organisers Regarding Clamping Down On Any Entries From Any Dog Owners Whether Pedigree, Kennel Club Registered Or Otherwise. I Can Only Assume This Is A Personal View And Not That Of The Committee

Standard Kennel Club Rules For Companion Dog Shows Apply As Per Schedule. The Onus Is On The Entrant To Comply.

We Welcome All Entrants To Our Show And If You Happen To Have Any Of The Awards That Exclude You From Entering Our Pedigree Classes Then Congratulations! However Do Not Forget That You Can Still Enter Most Fun Classes And Obedience If You Wish. Registration Is From Noon With Judging Commencing In Each Of The 3 Rings From 1pm

The Emphasis Of The Show Is To Come Along And Have Fun With Your Dog As Well As Raise Money For A Worthwhile Cause. If Anyone Requires Any Further Information Do Not Hesitate To Contact Myra On 01475 711314
Hi Myra,

Nice to see you have joined!

I was referring to talks with friends who are entering the show, and yes, it is my personal opinion, and as I know of, a few others too.

I am trying to persuade a few friends to attend our show as they believe some of the Companion shows are unfair. Hopefully, they will change their minds and come along to support WAG.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2007, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Sorry but i have to disagree. Whilst i agree that dogs with stud book numbers shouldnt be shown at companion shows in the pedigree classes (they can go in the novelty ones by the way) You state its not fair on family pets competing against dogs who are formally shown. Most of us who show our dogs enjoy the relaxed atmosphere of a companion show and use them as ring craft practise whilst giving to good causes.
Pet dogs who are cross breeds shouldnt be entered in the pedigree classes anyway, but most of us who compete turn a blind eye as the empasis should be on FUN
I understand the points you are making, and of course it's fair for official show dogs to enter in novelty classes, as novelty classes aren't usually based on breed standard.

However, I do strongly believe that if a dog is shown formally under the Kennel Club, whether or not they are a family pet, first and foremost, then it is not fair for them to be shown against dogs in pedigree classes at Companion dog shows, who are not officially shown at KC shows.

I am actually thinking of stoping entering the pedigree classes at Companion dog shows as I believe most of them are unfair.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2007, 10:38 PM
thats your opinion and of course your entitled to it, but the tone of your post sugguested that "show" dogs wouldnt be welcome at that particular show, which clearly isnt he case.
I've judged at both open and companion shows and exhibited at both, I've given BIS to a pet yorkie and I've lost to a working English, which in my opinion is half the fun.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

20-06-2007, 10:48 PM
[B]However, I do strongly believe that if a dog is shown formally under the Kennel Club, whether or not they are a family pet, first and foremost, then it is not fair for them to be shown against dogs in pedigree classes at Companion dog shows, who are not officially shown at KC shows.

am actually thinking of stoping entering the pedigree classes at Companion dog shows as I believe most of them
[/B] are unfair.[/B]

Nicola You seem to be missing the point here , why do you think these shows are held under under KC rules?

I thought you entered these companion shows as I do for fun and to raise money for charity.?

All competitions can be seen as unfair depending on your attitude to it, - and in that case "If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen"

My opinion on this is win or lose we still take home what to us is the Best dog and we have a day out and enjoy the fun and raiise money for charity whether it be a crossbreed or a show dog who is entered.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2007, 10:55 PM
It has been raised that some may not feel Pedigree Show dogs should be allowed to enter Companion Shows.
There are Rules on entry eligibility under the KC for affiliated shows.
Unaffiliated shows can make up their own rules for fun shows which may differ.

What are you feelings on which `level` of Show dogs should or should not be able to enter Companion and other Fun shows ?
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2007, 02:22 AM
Under KC regs at Affiliated shows dogs with a CC, RCC etc are not allowed to enter anyway. Many people starting in the show world attend these for practise and to get their dogs used to the atmosphere etc, and some just for the fun day out. I attended many before I started showing properly to gain confidence and give my dogs the experience needed and generally see how Judges do their job. It's a stepping stone for many, especially if you live in an area where Open shows are few and far between and you need to stay in practise. As for the Fun shows, I also think that dogs with CCs or RCCs etc or 1sts at Champ level, should not be allowed. But in reality if you have a dog at this level, why bother going to a fun show, just for a rossette ?

As for rules, there are certain classes for a reason and Pedigree classes are for dogs who are eligible for KC Registration (whether they are/or will be registered or not). It's the eligibility factor, that many ignore. I've been to many KC affiliated Companion shows where people have entered Labradoodles and Inuits into the KC Pedigree classes, which is also not allowed, but the organisers and Judge say nothing and let it ride.

At a local fete recently they held a KC Aff show and 1 lady entered 2 dogs (non KC recognised 'breed') and she stood and complained to the Judge that she knew she was in the ring with someone who 'Shows' their dogs all the time and it wasn't fair, yet she was entering her dogs in a Pedigree Class ! The KC recognised breed have every right to be there, the Non KC dogs had no right to be in the class !

For rules to be adhered to, Everyone has to adhere to them, not just those it suits at the time !
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

21-06-2007, 07:06 AM
As for rules, there are certain classes for a reason and Pedigree classes are for dogs who are eligible for KC Registration (whether they are/or will be registered or not). It's the eligibility factor, that many ignore. I've been to many KC affiliated Companion shows where people have entered Labradoodles and Inuits into the KC Pedigree classes, which is also not allowed, but the organisers and Judge say nothing and let it ride.

At a local fete recently they held a KC Aff show and 1 lady entered 2 dogs (non KC recognised 'breed') and she stood and complained to the Judge that she knew she was in the ring with someone who 'Shows' their dogs all the time and it wasn't fair, yet she was entering her dogs in a Pedigree Class ! The KC recognised breed have every right to be there, the Non KC dogs had no right to be in the class !

For rules to be adhered to, Everyone has to adhere to them, not just those it suits at the time !

My sentiments exactly. Could not have put it better.
Good post Malady
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »