View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Frontera
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-07-2006, 11:53 AM
hi im fairly new on here,but have been involved with dogs for many years.my family and i have followed the northern inuits progress for the last few years,i find them a stunning looking dog with a stunning charicter,and am infact hopefully going to be booking a puppy this weekend.as i am hoping to show it,i have just rang the kc to clarify the situation,and have been told firstly an application has been put in to recognise the northern inuit as a breed,and as for companion dog shows technically they shouldnt enter the pedigree classes until they are on some kind of kc register,however the kc are awere that they do enter and infact have on the odd ocation walked away with best in show. they also told me it is highly unlikely that any judge or show organiser would get fined for allowing northern inuits in the pedigree classes or for judging them.the kc also gave me two phone numbers were i could find out more about the northern inuit and get a copy of there standard.i suspect breed snobbery going on here
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2006, 12:12 PM
It still remains dishonest. If and when the NI are granted recognition do they want to be known for their lack of integrity? As a matter of interest who did you speak to?
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by Frontera
hi im fairly new on here,but have been involved with dogs for many years.my family and i have followed the northern inuits progress for the last few years,i find them a stunning looking dog with a stunning charicter,and am infact hopefully going to be booking a puppy this weekend.as i am hoping to show it,i have just rang the kc to clarify the situation,and have been told firstly an application has been put in to recognise the northern inuit as a breed,and as for companion dog shows technically they shouldnt enter the pedigree classes until they are on some kind of kc register,however the kc are awere that they do enter and infact have on the odd ocation walked away with best in show. they also told me it is highly unlikely that any judge or show organiser would get fined for allowing northern inuits in the pedigree classes or for judging them.the kc also gave me two phone numbers were i could find out more about the northern inuit and get a copy of there standard.i suspect breed snobbery going on here
No its not snobbery...its called rules....think its very sad that some people think its ok to break rules.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2006, 12:36 PM
You are right Archer, snobbery does not come into it, there are just as many ill bred pure breed dogs on view at a companion or open show as any of the crossbreeds or hoping for breeds. It is dishonest and against the rules and without rules there is little point in having any organised dog competition at all.

Declaring that you have designed a breed that is breeding true is not enough you just have to wait like everyone else for the KC to decide that your ‘breed’ in viable. How do you think people with imported ancient buy unrecognised breeds would feel it they found that a ‘somethingpoo’ could be exhibited and they could not. So if you are interested in being recognised by the KC then have the courtesy and honesty to obey the rules you will be bound by should your ‘breed’ become recognised.
Frontera
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-07-2006, 12:45 PM
wowwwwwwwww and i havnt even got my puppy yet,im just repeating my conversation with the kc.not sure who i spoke to but who ever it was went of to be adviced
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2006, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by Pita
The organisers of KC licensed companion shows could be fined along with the judge if they allow a non-breed into the breed classes. It is therefore unfair and unsportsmanlike to deliberately take an animal into the breed ring knowing it is not a recognised breed.

It must be remembered that at companion shows there are animals exhibited that are not good examples of the breed they are supposed to be and you may get away with taking a NI into the breed ring as the organisers and the judge may think it poorly bred example of a recognised breed. I have not met many but of those I have one resembled a longhaired GSD and another a Siberian with poor bone so I, were I the judge, would have been fooled.

So enjoy the novice classes and do not try to cheat sooner or later someone will make a complaint and someone else will have to pay for your attempted deception.
i resent your inference that i was cheating, i presume its me you are refering to, actually, for your information,i have always asked before entering any classes, and it seems that the organisers are as unclear on the subject as i was,so now we stand corrected. btw,most of the people ive met at shows are very nice and ask lots of questions, but there are always a few who look down on other breeds, the snobs of the show world, god forbid i ever end up like them.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2006, 12:53 PM
Not blaming you but as I may be responsible on occasion for the running of such shows and the rules say only recognised breeds I wondered who had told you different. As you don't know who it was I can't take the matter up with them but I would be interested to know when this change took place and it has not been publicised yet. May be the change in rules will be in the new Red Book due about now but until then it is against the rules and therefore to allow it is a finable offence.
Phoenix
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-07-2006, 12:53 PM
I've got Northern Inuits - some are registered with the KC Companion Dog Club.

I have shown my Northern Inuits AS Northern Inuits at Companion Dog Shows for many years - they are entered on the entry form as NI and I have only had a problem with the officials at one dog show. The rules state they have to be a pedigree dog - mine have pedigrees that go back over 14 generations and IMO are pedigree. The NI has a breed standard. Many of the judges now know a NI when they see one - at one show in particular which was a two day event they were very keen to promote the breed and they were exhibited in the main arena for all to see.

My dogs frequently get BPIS and even BIS, as well as RBIS. As I only ever travel an hours distance from home for a Companion Dog Show most of the exhibitors are the same faces and know me - no one has ever queried the fact that my dogs are there and they know I win fair and square.

Until such time that we can compete in Open and Champ Shows we are limited to club shows and Companion Dog Shows - but the Companion Dog Shows are a very good place to get our dogs out and seen by the public. I personally don't give a hoot whether I win or not - the interest from the general public and their approval of the breed makes these shows worthwhile for me.

If the breed of the dog is stated on the entry form and a judge hasn't taken the trouble to look through the breeds entered, then it is not the fault of the exhibitor if that judge doesn't know what the breed is.

KC Recognised breeds have Open and Champ Shows to show their dogs in - all we have at the moment are Companion Dog Shows. Most exhibitors of KC Recognised breeds only use Companion Dog Shows as a practice ground for their dogs - with Northern Inuit exhibitors we are restricted to just these shows, and our own breed shows.

I was once asked by someone after my bitch won BIS, "Does that judge know what that dog is and the standard for it?" - I merely replied that I didn't know, but the judge obviously knows a good dog when he sees one.

Kristina - don't be put off - get out there and fly the flag for the Northern Inuits and show your dog for what it is!

Incidentally, I have seen breeders showing other unrecognised breeds in breed classes at Companion Dogs Shows, such as the Plummer Terrier and Alaskan Kee Kai.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2006, 12:56 PM
Sutty I did not say you were cheating only you know the circumstances, I said it is cheating to say you have a recognised breed and to enter classes for recognised breeds when you are fully aware that the animal you are entering is not qualified.

It does not matter what the breed is, the rules at the moment as far as I know say it must be a recognised breed and it matters not what other do it is breaking the rules to enter a dog that is not recognised. How can a judge be expected to judge a 'breed' for which there is no officially published standard.
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2006, 01:00 PM
ps, it seems to me that you are forgetting the word 'companion' my dogs are companions, so why are you getting so het up about the shows that are primarily supposed to be fun,not really competitive.if people are going to be so upset about non kc breeds going in to companion shows, why dont they stick to their open and champ shows where they might not feel so threatened.
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »