Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2006, 05:50 AM

Companion dog show question

Hi all,

There is a companion dog show this weekend which im looking to go to with both my dogs. However it says it is held under Kennel Club Rules & Regulations. There are two groups, Pedigree classes and novelty classes. Now can i show my NI and/ or my rescued Lab in the 'pedigree classes'?? The reason i ask is because NI aren't recognised as a breed by the kennel club yet and i cant prove the pedigree of my lab because he is rescue and the original owners keep all his papers.

Its not a major problem if i cant enter them in the 'any variety puppy' and 'any variety sporting dogs' classes i just dont want to look really stupid if they're not allowed in them!!!!

Thanks in advance! x

P.S what is 'Best Odd Brace'??? I've never heard of it before!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2006, 06:09 AM
Originally Posted by Kristina
Hi all,

There is a companion dog show this weekend which im looking to go to with both my dogs. However it says it is held under Kennel Club Rules & Regulations. There are two groups, Pedigree classes and novelty classes. Now can i show my NI and/ or my rescued Lab in the 'pedigree classes'?? The reason i ask is because NI aren't recognised as a breed by the kennel club yet and i cant prove the pedigree of my lab because he is rescue and the original owners keep all his papers.

Its not a major problem if i cant enter them in the 'any variety puppy' and 'any variety sporting dogs' classes i just dont want to look really stupid if they're not allowed in them!!!!

Thanks in advance! x

P.S what is 'Best Odd Brace'??? I've never heard of it before!
You can show the Lab in the Pedigree classes as they are for pedigree dogs, they do not have to be registered. All dogs can be shown in the novelty pure breed, cross breed and 57's. Pedigree/pure breed dogs are dogs that have bred to a standard that is recognised by one of the established kennel associations affiliated to the FCI

PS odd brace is two unmatched dogs sometimes called and Irish Brace
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2006, 06:37 AM
Thank you very much i had a feeling that would be the case.
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2006, 07:07 AM
actually, i have shown in the pedigree classes at companion shows kris, just because we arent kc recognised doesnt mean the N.I isnt still pedigree. as most companion shows are held under kc rules, i have always asked first, but yes you can go in the pedigree classes. vienna and murphy will make a good odd brace lol, good luck
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2006, 07:48 AM
IMO although a dog need not be registered with the KC the breed should be recognised by them to enter a KC sanctioned show.I know the NI owners see their dogs as 'pedigree' however in the eyes of the KC and most 'show people' they are not and I would be concerned that even if allowed to enter that the judge or other competitors would comment about the dog not being pedigree.JMO
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2006, 08:03 AM
The organisers of KC licensed companion shows could be fined along with the judge if they allow a non-breed into the breed classes. It is therefore unfair and unsportsmanlike to deliberately take an animal into the breed ring knowing it is not a recognised breed.

It must be remembered that at companion shows there are animals exhibited that are not good examples of the breed they are supposed to be and you may get away with taking a NI into the breed ring as the organisers and the judge may think it poorly bred example of a recognised breed. I have not met many but of those I have one resembled a longhaired GSD and another a Siberian with poor bone so I, were I the judge, would have been fooled.

So enjoy the novice classes and do not try to cheat sooner or later someone will make a complaint and someone else will have to pay for your attempted deception.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2006, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by Pita

So enjoy the novice classes and do not try to cheat sooner or later someone will make a complaint and someone else will have to pay for your attempted deception.
Hi Pita, I don't think Kris was trying to 'cheat' she was just asking for some advice
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2006, 08:59 AM
No I am sure she was not and I had replied to her earlier. I was just pointing out because it had been suggested that you could get away with it that it was not a responsible thing to do, or may be I miss read that post.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2006, 09:24 AM
When they were called Exemption shows The Exemption was that the dogs didn't have to be KC registered to compete, it didn't(as many people thought)mean that they were exempt from all KC rules

They have rules of their own, like CC & JW winners cannot compete in the pedigree classes & Ob CC winners cannot compete in Obedience classes etc

I'vr judged some lovely dogs at Companion/Exemption shows that would had their owners wished & they were eligible for entry done well at Open or Championship shows. On the other hand I have also been pushed to recognize what breed some were
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2006, 10:12 AM
At the end of the day these shows like any others have rules....and they should be adhered to.The pedigree classes should be judged on the KC breed standard.I have a dog who is ineligible for companion shows as he has won RCC's..if I then entered him is that OK? Is it ok to break the rules and enter champions?no! I stick to the rules and it angers me when others do not.The fun classes are there to allow entry for ALL dogs.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »