Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2015, 05:17 PM

Computer Help

My friend has been having trouble with work she emails into her office being returned undelivered. Office say her computer has a virus which is why the mails are being rejected. I am still getting mails from her no problem as I have AVG surely I would know if they had a virus??

She has got round it by emailing the work to a colleague in France who then forwarded it to the office with no problem. French person says as she is in another country virus won't pass to her computer??

Any advice gratefully received

TIA
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-04-2015, 10:04 AM
I'm no expert, but here's my take on it.

The company are saying that her home computer has a virus and so the emails are getting bounced back. The only way they could detect the virus is if it's contained in the emails.
Now chances are their virus checker is picking up something that 'could' be a virus or linked to a virus, rather than knowing it is a virus. If that makes sense.
As for her sending emails to you and AVG not picking anything up, could be your AVG is outdated, new viruses are being made all the time. Could be AVG isn't aware of this virus yet, could be AVG knows it's not actually a virus.

If she her home computer does have a virus she is risking sending it to others by continuing to do nothing about it. That said if her friend in France can send emails to work, it shows that something else maybe going on.
Being in a different country doesn't stop the virus, having a different sort of computer or different systems might depending on how the virus is programmed to work.

Does her work not have an IT department that could look at her home computer? They should be willing to help if she does a lot of work from home.

Another option could be to try using a usb stick, to store the work and take it to the office with her.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-05-2015, 07:55 AM
Try sending the emails as plain text, not HTML. Her email client (Outlook) will have an option to switch to plain text.
The company's security may be so tight that it automatically rejects HTML emails that can harbor a virus. (I assume she is not sending attachments as they can also contain a virus?)

Don't use a USB stick as it would bypass antivirus security and could potentially bring the whole IT system down. If I was the IT manager I would then demand she was sacked ..... yes, it is that serious a breach.