View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-08-2011, 09:01 PM
I never (nor could) show Jake, and he is far from thick, so it really must be me! I taught him "sit" very early. He really can't grasp "stand" at all. He is brilliant in his classes, picks everything up, and is the star of the show. Except stand.

I can lure him into it, but I know he isn't getting it. He defaults always to a down, occasionally a sit.
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2011, 08:56 AM
Owning crossbreeds I obviously do very little conformation showing but I do enjoy it when the oppotunity arises.

Storm and Willow will both show and take part in obedience based training and know that stand means don't sit down and manage this without any problems.

Meeka (sigh) is a law unto herself and will do anything but sit when given the command however when told to wait in the show ring will stand beautifully
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Yes I do teach sit.... some don't .... but a dog is bright enough to know what the difference is between the two lol

As long as you teach stand and sit from the beginning but even so it can still be taught as having started showing with Max at 14 months it was quite hard to adjust him to standing and not sitting after moving him... but we got there

But I do know a few that have never taught it

The more dogs learn the better as far as I'm concerned
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I never make my dog sit at the kerb, why would I want them to plant their butts in "ick"?
I just ask for a wait before crossing the road and then command cross over - sit or whatever as long as they wait!
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Think the reason some people say don't teach sit is that at a lot of obedience clubs sit & down are taught much earlier than stand. I left one obedience club because the trainer would not allow me to sometimes give stand command when we halted & wanted the dog to sit every time I stopped without a command. I also don't actually use the word stand use a word that doesn't begin with an s. Provided you teach both I can't see any problem.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 02:54 PM
When I was showing my Boxers people used to say this a lot. Did wonder if it was because Boxers in obedience at that time were rarer than hens' teeth. Mine did fine but I used to say I use different collars and that seemed to keep people happy
border pop
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Nope, I have never taught my dog to sit, he is taught to stand when we come to a halt. I have no need for him to plonk his bottom when we stop.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by border pop View Post
Nope, I have never taught my dog to sit, he is taught to stand when we come to a halt. I have no need for him to plonk his bottom when we stop.
And you don't think your dog could manage to learn both commands?

Both of my dogs were shown and could easily distinguish between moving in the ring and coming to a stop in a stand and walking to heel and finishing in a sit - I just used a different hand signal.

I totally understand if people don't want to teach the sit command, it's just the belief that a dog wouldn't understand the difference is what baffles me! Surely people must realise their dogs are intelligent enough to be able to differentiate?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 08:50 PM
It sounds as though it is not the dog's intelligence that is in question............
Kevin Colwill
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-08-2011, 11:04 PM
The old school ring craft advice might be presented as "don't teach the sit" but it was never meant in quite the way some posters have taken it.

The idea is to prepare a young dog for the ring before going on to general obedience. Shows are open to minor puppies (from six months). To prepare these dogs for the ring they would be taught to stand and move in a gait appropriate for the breed rather than the usual positions of sit, down, stand and other basic obedience.

It’s not so much about concern the dog could be confused by general obedience as wanting to drill perfect ring craft.

I think times are definitely changing, partly due to dog good citizen classes at shows, but this attitude does still persist.
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »