View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hazels
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-08-2011, 03:41 PM
My pups learn sit, stand, down at the same time, moving from one position to the other. They are all very good a distance control . Tilly (my little superstar ) competes in obedience, agility and the show ring, she has also had a go at gundog work, flyball and HTM. She knows what she doing when we get to a show because the the set up is different. Hopefully Ember will start competing in obedience and agility as well soon.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 03:46 PM
I did a lot of obedience training with Parker before I showed him and it did take me a while to teach him to stand as he would automatically sit when I stopped after moving him around the ring.

He is fine now and I think the obedience training helps in the showring as he moves so smoothly with me round the ring it looks nice compared to some of the other dogs I watch who aren't so "at one" with their handlers.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Hmmm.

I know dogs who are shown who are taught to sit (and obviously stand!) and are also taught many other behaviours as well, including down, paws and other tricks etc.

Personally, I think it's just a lazy persons excuse for their training! You teach them the difference.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
This thread was prompted by a comment on another thread and reminded me of something I over heard at ringcraft once: that you should never teach a show dog to sit as you don't want it sitting in the ring!

Now from the perspective of someone who owns a dual purpose HPR that HAS to be taught to sit on the whistle, I do find this a very bizarre perspective to have. My dogs know a variety of commands and can easily distinguish which command is which and equally which one is needed in different situations!

So do any of you other show people follow this "mantra"? I have to say all of the dogs I've shown have been taught to sit and I've never found it a problem in the ring!

I have not read the whole thread but in answer to your question although I am not a "show person" although my dogs have won at Champ Show level in the breed ring, all I can say is that this is as ludicrous as saying "do not teach your dog protection work as it may bite children/dogs/people/judges in the breed/obedience/agility/gundog arena!

The reason most people say this is a) because they have not done any other form of discipline b) they are regurgitating received wisdom and c) totally failed to understand that dogs have contextual clues, so a SLEEVE is a contextual clue for "protection dogs", etc etc.

Sigh, the other reason for people telling others "you can't" is actually "THEY can't"
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I have not read the whole thread but in answer to your question although I am not a "show person" although my dogs have won at Champ Show level in the breed ring, all I can say is that this is as ludicrous as saying "do not teach your dog protection work as it may bite children/dogs/people/judges in the breed/obedience/agility/gundog arena!

The reason most people say this is a) because they have not done any other form of discipline b) they are regurgitating received wisdom and c) totally failed to understand that dogs have contextual clues, so a SLEEVE is a contextual clue for "protection dogs", etc etc.

Sigh, the other reason for people telling others "you can't" is actually "THEY can't"
Agreed. My thoughts exactly.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 09:35 PM
Wow, imagine having a dog that can't sit when told, it's unfathomable to me!

Didn't realise that about (some) show dogs!
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Even my dog can sit and stand on command - wish I could show her but shes just not got the temprement !
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2011, 08:20 AM
As it was my comment I will explain.

I think it is one of those urban myths that you can't teach a show dog to sit.

My dogs are being taught to stand from weeks old along with getting used to having someone look in their mouths.
But when we walk and we stop at the kerb to cross the road I always say stand rather than sit.
Teaching sit happens later.

I go to a training class on a wednesday evening, there is obediance followed by ring craft and most people do both. The trainer always makes fun of anyone who struggles with the sit, She says just because its a show dog doesn't mean it can't sit.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2011, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Wow, imagine having a dog that can't sit when told, it's unfathomable to me!

Didn't realise that about (some) show dogs!
asbo wont sit, not a chance!! and its not because i wont train it, he just wont sit...
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2011, 08:49 PM
I never make my dog sit at the kerb, why would I want them to plant their butts in "ick"?
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »