View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 07:39 AM
I show and my dogs sit (they do obedience too) but these days I don't teach sit as the first thing - it CAN be a problem as sit tends to be a dogs default behaviour, I now teach stand, then down, then sit - I think they can tell from their leads and situation what they are supposed to be doing anyway
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 07:52 AM
I taught Alfie to sit along with other basic commands and he would occasionally plonk his bum down in the ring but it wasnt a problem as such. I've found with Bea i haven't had to teach her ...She will use a 'sit' when she wants certain things ie dinner...she will go sit by the food cupboard,same with ice cubes she'll sit by the freezer Automatically i say 'what are you doing' ? and she'll promptly re-sit to let me know I can say this when out and she'll sit,i use hand signals too though.
I have concentrated more on 'stand' with treats or a hand signal and she now associates that with showing or ring training.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-08-2011, 08:21 AM
Millie knows the difference between "stand and "sit".

I know of people who say the same........... dont teach a show dog to sit

Never figured it out really,
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 08:28 AM
When I got my first English Setter I took him to obedience classes, when they discovered I intended showing him they told me not to get him to sit at the end of a command, I had to teach him to stand.

To this day, I do teach mine to sit but I also teach them the stand command, they know the difference and I never have a problem with any of them sitting in the show ring following their run around the ring.

I think, so long as you teach them the difference, then they should understand just as they would any other command.

However, I can never seem to get my setters to understand the "come" command if there is something more exciting happening away from me
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 09:15 AM
daphni sits, but she was taught stand first, because sit can become default behaviour and i didnt want her doing that.

asbo isnt a problem, he wont sit on the floor
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 09:26 AM
LOL I've never met a dog yet that needs to be taught how to sit, do dogs really not sit unless instructed ?

Now teaching dogs to sit on command is different.

Dead simple if you have a show dog-teach the ring craft first & when that is solid, then teach the sit, down etc on command-it ain't rocket science or is it ?????
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
LOL I've never met a dog yet that needs to be taught how to sit, do dogs really not sit unless instructed ?

Now teaching dogs to sit on command is different.

Dead simple if you have a show dog-teach the ring craft first & when that is solid, then teach the sit, down etc on command-it ain't rocket science or is it ?????
can you teach asbo to sit?
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Were being taught how to teach our dogs to stand in puppy class for checking grooming etc. My dog hates it. would rather just sit. Good job she isnt a show dog lazy pup
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 09:41 AM
When I got Angel I did obedience first and he was taught to sit. When I started ringcraft, as soon as I pulled out a treat he sat down and I got the comment, oh dear god you've done obedience your gonna have trouble training him to stand now, and that is very true, to this day he still will often sit down if faced with a treat without being told.

I tried to teach Misty both and she is the worst for automatically sitting if you have food in your hand without being told and doesn't do it if you tell her to sit and don't have food! lol.

I have never taught Dita to sit at all and she stands lovely in the ring and it has never caused a problem however if she chooses to sit down then thats fine too.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 09:49 AM
I have not shown any of my dogs, but I did go to ringcraft lessons a couple of times with one of my flatcoats. The instructor noticed that Luna sat in front of me and she said that if I wanted to show her I should not have taught her to sit as it spoilt her for showing.
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »