Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 07:54 AM

Crufts 2011 - the positives.

So, in the interest of balanced view (and inspired by Brieley) what were the positive changes you noticed about Crufts this year?

Do you feel there has been any progress on areas of concern people have mentioned in the past? Breeding, handling, conditions etc?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 09:19 AM
I did notice that the commentators were stressing `fit for function` a lot and certainly there seemed to be less exaggerated types winning.
I didn`t enjoy seeing the Peke puff his way slowly across the arena though.
On a brighter note, the tv coverage discussed concerns openly, which was good.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 09:24 AM
I didnt like the coverage at all. Barely saw any agility/flyball or OB. Instead we had blooming Clare Balding and the pillock wondering around talk to PAt from Eastenders!

I was very pleased with the BIS and RBIS tho (I loved the Flattie, and the OH now wants a Basset!)
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 09:28 AM
I found Crufts the same this year as it has been all the years I have been going, great dogs, great people, lots of fun, and I enjoyed it just the same.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 09:29 AM
I think I will be going next year
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 09:48 AM
A lot of people said it was less crowded----any comments on that?

I know our city centre is easier to park in recently and friend went to Birmingham and found the same thing---so are petrol prices and the recession generally making a difference?

rune
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Well I went on Thursday which is the least busy day so cannot comment, the best way to tell is the weekend and working and pastoral day which this year was on Friday and is usually the MOST crowded.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 09:58 AM
I went on the friday, granted it was my first time so didnt really know what to expect, but I didnt think it was too crowded, it did get busier after about lunch time however.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 10:05 AM
I caught some of the live streaming - decorating so bits in between, but it was refreshing to see more agility handlers having taught a stay at the start line rather than scruffing dogs into position.

It was good to see BIS winner not being strung up to keep the head up

It was good to see the inventiveness and ingenuity of the HTM routines with dogs and handlers all looking happy

Not caught all the More4 coverage yet (although it is recorded), but good to hear more balance on the fit for function and the more open discussion of hereditary health problems.

I love dogs, all dogs so picking out the 'best' (whatever that is) would be way too difficult for me just on looks so the bits of 'showing' I watch tend to be more focussed on the handling and the body language of the dogs. Got to agree that the Flatcoat that won, certainly looked happy and relaxed.

Lots of positives picked up from the limited coverage I did watch. Lots of negatives too. Hopefully the balance will tip more towards the positives as time goes on.

A great positive would be a change of flooring in the arenas. It looks way too slippy and as a showcase for dogs an example of providing optimum conditions would be good to see
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 10:07 AM
It looks way too slippy

None of my dogs have ever slipped on the floors and I have shown there for 20 years..............
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 > Last »