View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 11:44 PM
Honestly, I'm not seeing a lot of major difference in these dogs. I prefer the head on the European GSD, but otherwise, the dogs look to be structurally very similar! The US dogs have more coat but that has more to do with grooming and presentation than ability which is what is being judged or am I wrong? Any of those long skirted gun dogs could be trimmed differently and would look that same as the european dogs.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post

Ch Sno Klassic Play The Game
at Westminster
Ah Player! Such a stunning boy - he has a lovely head on him! It is a shame we don't see these dogs over here I'll just have to try and make the speciality one year when it falls during the holidays

With a few exceptions (Malamute, Border Collie, Pointer, Great Dane) I have on the whole preferred the Crufts winners of the dogs posted thus far, although the standard of presentation in the USA seems to be much higher. I am not necessarily saying this is a good thing, I prefer them to be 'natural', but it can really change their overall look.

The two boxers are very similar and I would be hard pressed to choose between the two - I am not keen on the cropping though (nor on the Great Dane).
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 12:31 AM
Tail
Moderately long, the bone reaching at least to hock, set on low, well furnished and with an upward swirl towards the end, completing graceful contour and balance of dog. Tail may be raised in excitement, never carried over back.

My ISDS dogs do not have an"upward swirl"& their tails are not well frnished as Rjj is a smooth coat & Keewee is a medium coat. They would look very silly with a"well furnished"tail ! Doesn't stop them working sheep though

The rough coated show BCs are "blow dried"which does straighten the coat.

The wording for the tail is very similar to the Bearded Collie re the upward swirl

Tail
Set low, without kink or twist, and long enough for end of bone to reach at least point of hock. Carried low with an upward swirl at tip whilst standing or walking, may be extended at speed. Never carried over back. Covered with abundant hair.
Wouldn't give either of the BCs house room way too much coat, bone & too small
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
Westminister Rough Collie

Gch Kelso's Moon Dancin

Crufts Best of Breed

Salsina Stargazer

Not a huge amount of difference in these examples. BUT I have to say I do prefer the American Rough Collie over the British version. I feel the UK coat has gotten silly, and some of them are so small they resemble Shelties. US dogs have the height, and they have a much nicer coat. JMHO
I agree and prefer the US collie to the UK one, although that particular one does seem to still have quite a lot of coat. I would be seriously tempted to have a RC if I could find a large dog with a lot less coat, and a good active temperament - like the collies of days gone by. Not at all keen on the RCs you see in shows in this country
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
My ISDS dogs do not have an"upward swirl"& their tails are not well frnished as Rjj is a smooth coat & Keewee is a medium coat. They would look very silly with a"well furnished"tail ! Doesn't stop them working sheep though

The rough coated show BCs are "blow dried"which does straighten the coat.

The wording for the tail is very similar to the Bearded Collie re the upward swirl

I took it to mean not the way the coat was going (athough I had missed the well furnished bit TBH and I agree that is silly, BC can come with smooth coat and wouldnt have well furnished tail - havent seen a smooth coat showing tho - they would prob make them a different breed or something
I was always reading the upwards turn to be the tip held up/out slightly. Last time I watched westminster the dogs had their tails hanging limply straight down - not just the hair but the actual tail - and in both of those photos the ends of the dogs tail is tucked behind the hock - never seen a dog in the flesh standing with his tail like that. A small point I know but one that did worry me

Wouldn't give either of the BCs house room way too much coat, bone & too small
Yup agree, I have been saying for ages the show collies are going to heavy boned, domed heads to give them the puppy expression and all a bit short in the leg for me
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2011, 02:05 PM
Westminster - Ch. Jonricker Nicke Lilletroll - 12 year old dog

Crufts - Ch. Starvon Rumour Has It - 2 year old bitch

Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 02:58 PM
Rhodesian Ridgeback

Westminister

Crufts

I dont see a huge difference but prefer the Crufts winner.
rubylover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Can someone help sort this?

When I go to the link here: http://crufts.fossedata.co.uk/Breed....ScheduleID=194

. . . which dog is the BOB - or . . . or maybe I've been too impatient and it
has not been decided yet?

I am thinking it is Tibbyland's Solo (1st Open Dog)??
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 04:57 PM
^^ BOB is tibbylands solo ...it always says BEST OF BREED winner.
rubylover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2011, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
^^ BOB is tibbylands solo ...it always says BEST OF BREED winner.
Ahhh. Thanks for that. When I first linked it just said he was 1st open dog and now the page has changed so I bet I had jumped the gun.

Crufts BOB is Tibbylands Solo -

Westminster BOB is Wassong's Djebel Of Lollipop

Without a stacked photo of Solo it is hard to say which I like best. I'm not keen on the fluffy look of the coats that comes from being blow dried.

Ruby
Page 5 of 17 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »