View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Really interesting thread. The gundogs that have been posted so far - well I knew the American cocker was shown with long skirts (is that the right term?) but I had no idea that the other gun dogs were like that too. Would be interested to see how far back that trend goes in the USA - might try to find some photos of US winners in previous years.

Seems to be a huge emphasis on the coat in the USA, but surely the breed standard wouldn't call for a coat of that length - it would be completely inpractical for a gun dog.

Would our English versions coats grow that long if left?

Not so drastic a difference between GSD and BC from those photos and if I'm honest, I might slightly prefer the US winners, but that's just personal taste.

ETA - just looked again at the GSD and not so sure now. Prefer the top line of the USA winner, but just noticed his rear right leg - that doesn't look right at all
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 11:55 AM
i prefer the english GSD to the US one. not much difference with the two collies.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Really interesting thread. The gundogs that have been posted so far - well I knew the American cocker was shown with long skirts (is that the right term?) but I had no idea that the other gun dogs were like that too. Would be interested to see how far back that trend goes in the USA - might try to find some photos of US winners in previous years.

Seems to be a huge emphasis on the coat in the USA, but surely the breed standard wouldn't call for a coat of that length - it would be completely inpractical for a gun dog.

Would our English versions coats grow that long if left?

Not so drastic a difference between GSD and BC from those photos and if I'm honest, I might slightly prefer the US winners, but that's just personal taste.

ETA - just looked again at the GSD and not so sure now. Prefer the top line of the USA winner, but just noticed his rear right leg - that doesn't look right at all
Think that is just the way he is stacked.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-03-2011, 12:23 PM
Westminster
Crufts
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 12:40 PM
So far I am preferring the Crufts winners... especially the Irish Setter and Boxer!!
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 01:39 PM

Ch Sno Klassic Play The Game
at Westminster

Crufts
Ch. Chayo All Eyes On Me

I prefer Enzo (the UK dog) but rather biased as he is one of my best friends and I know what a daft and uber friendly dog he is - which sadly not all Malamutes are

x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post

Ch Sno Klassic Play The Game
at Westminster

Crufts
Ch. Chayo All Eyes On Me

I prefer Enzo (the UK dog) but rather biased as he is one of my best friends and I know what a daft and uber friendly dog he is - which sadly not all Malamutes are

i lvoed the mal that got BOB, i love that kennel too
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 02:04 PM
I hate the way the gsd's are stacked - why exactly is the hock on the floor??

the westminster irsih setter looks deformed

Slightly prefer the westminster collie but it is too hairy under his tummy
also one thing I noticed watching westminster before and is showing up in both them collies - thier tails are hanging limply straight down - a collies tail should be curled up at the tip - especially if he is 'working'
imo they are too chunky with their tipped ears and flat backs, look too much like auzzies, dont like
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the GSD and BC comparisons CollieC

Definitely prefer both British dogs again, although there doesn't appear to be a huge difference between the UK and USA collies.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
one thing I noticed watching westminster before and is showing up in both them collies - thier tails are hanging limply straight down - a collies tail should be curled up at the tip - especially if he is 'working'
Where does it say this?
Page 3 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »