Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Yes the most often pet dog with tail problems I have seen have been labs who wag them against things
But we dont dock labs
Thats a first for me, 18yrs of boarding them and LOTS of them, smaller environment, close walls, and never a single Lab with a tail hurt at all. Weird that. Had a few Boxers with split tails, a Greyhound, a Dalmatian, and a couple Spaniels.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Why do English pointers have tails when German Pointers are docked?
As LabradorK said, they "point" only, not hunt through cover, nor retrieve.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Thats a first for me, 18yrs of boarding them and LOTS of them, smaller environment, close walls, and never a single Lab with a tail hurt at all. Weird that. Had a few Boxers with split tails, a Greyhound, a Dalmatian, and a couple Spaniels.
in all my years as a vn..it has been most commonly labs that have needed partial tail amps for wagging them against things..followed bu self mutilating Dalis lol
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Weird that indeed I guess

Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
in all my years as a vn..it has been most commonly labs that have needed partial tail amps for wagging them against things..followed bu self mutilating Dalis lol
It is sad that them being so happy can hurt themselves - but I bet everyone who has been wagged into by a happy lab can see how they can injure themselves - sore!!

aww poor dals, not many around here - do they suffer bordom or stress?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 12:47 AM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Thanks for the responses I can now answer my lodger's question. Makes sense, so we should gradually see fewer docked dogs in the next few years and then eventually all show ring dogs will have lovely full tails

I do know a few dogs that have had tO have their tails docked after damaging them doing their jibs running through underbrush etc, but then I know a few people who have trapped their thumbs in desks while filing in office jobs, sitlk I don't think all office workers should have thier thumbs docked!
Lovely full tails???? I tell you what, the next time Oscar my full tailed Wire Vizsla is screaming in agony because he's ended up with dead tail after a spell hunting for game I'll give you a ring so you can come and view his "lovely full tail". Doesn't matter that the dog can hardly walk without screaming (and I mean screaming, my parents nearly rang the vets the first time they witnessed it as they thought he was paralysed ), as long as it looks nice, right? And you think those who dock are cruel. Unbelievable.

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
But why and how are so many of the gundogs in crufts today docked when I thought the practice was being frowned on in showing circles and is certainly illegal in this country?

Not read the whole thread but to answer your questions:

It is NOT frowned upon in showing circles
It is NOT illegal in this country for certain breeds eg spaniels, HPRs and terriers IF certain criteria are met in order for them to work.

What is UNFAIR is that dogs which are dual purpose eg meet the kennel club standard in both physique AND working ability, are DENIED the ability to be shown at Crufts IF they have been docked post the docking laws.

This will inevitably mean that HPRs go the way that spaneils and Labs have gone, a show side and a working line.

If you think it is cruel, you do not have to support this, but it is much more cruel to have a dog with long standing and often incurable injuries sustained by a dog that is working and have to have the tail docked often more than once as an adult.
Totally agree with this. I don't agree with docking for cosmetic purposes, but docking for working purposes, to prevent horrific injuries is necessary. To ban legally docked, fit for function gundogs from the show ring (when the KC bang on about dogs being fit for function) is absurd imo.

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
You would be very surprised how often breeds like Spaniels and the lightly coated HPR breeds (who, when left undocked, have long whip like tails) endure injury to undocked tails when working.

It is also a myth that a dog cannot communicate with a docked tail. My dog dogs docked tail is just as expressive as a full one, whether it be wagging a mile a minute, tucked in because she is scared, etc. Besides, there is FAR more to communication than just a tail. Also, is there any actual evidence that tail docking is detrimental to the balance of a dog? given the number of Spaniel and HPR breeds that are versatile in all kinds of working roles, I don't believe for a minute their 'balance' has been affected by being docked.

If done correctly following proper procedures, docking is NOT cruel to the dog. There is a difference between a person perceiving something to be cruel, and it ACTUALLY being cruel and detrimental to the life of the animal. If you want to talk about cruel, what about the breeding of dogs who can't breath properly? or the breeding of dogs with physical and structural deformities? or the breeding of some breeds who are so riddled with genetic health problems that they are lucky to make past the age of 7 or 8? now THAT is cruel.
Tried to rep you for this but it wouldn't let me. Very good post!

Maybe I`ve only seen Brittanys with tails? Or maybe it`s that I`m less used to seeing docked dogs. The bobtail just looked weird to me. How does it affect balance, I wonder.
Well given that the Brittany that won BOB is a Full Champion (having won a CoM at a Field Trial) I'd hazard a guess and say it can balance pretty well!

Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
Agree totally Magpie - Flatcoated Retrievers are never docked. They can, and do, work the same sort of country as springers and their tails are just as active - granted they are a bit taller, but thats all. There is not much to make docking a dog valid, imo.
Flat Coats are retrievers, Springers are hunters bred to work in thick cover - two totally different jobs hence why one is docked and the other not!

Why do English pointers have tails when German Pointers are docked?
English Pointers are bred to point Grouse on the moors, working in heather doesn't produce tail injuries. GSPs are bred to hunt, point and retrieve and used for rough shooting in thick cover which often produces tail injuries. If this difference isn't evidence for the logical need for tail docking in certain breeds then I don't know what is! If we were all mutilating maniacs then every hunting or pointing breed would be docked, rather than those who actually needed it!
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-03-2011, 09:00 AM
The vallhund in the pastoral group last night was a natural bob tail (as easily evidenced by the set and small tuft at the back in this case)

Given that this a breed where approximately 50% are born naturally tailess it will never be a case that all dogs are full tailed. Mind you, none that i've ever lived with or met have ever had a problem with communication - with other vallhunds or with any other breed they live/play with.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Sad to see the docked tails too, why do I not like dock tails? one word - rotties

They look luuuuuush with their full tails!
Noooo - I think Rotties just look weird with a full tail I guess it is probably just that I have seen Rotts for so many years with docked tails that seeing ones with a full tail will take some getting used to, same with Dobes
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 09:16 AM
I don't like docking, I will admit... I can understand why its done, but I still don't like it. I had to have my lovely English Setter have his tail amputated, he had two ops to remove it and he still doesn't like it touched, as setters are meant to have full tails, I also don't like seeing his stubby tail either...
But he is still expressive, he wags his whole backside as well as the stub, so he doesn't need a tail to show how he feels at all (he has a gob for that!! )
I just find it hard that we breed to eradicate certain things, but still working dogs are born with big tails instead of bobtails... Though I appreciate done properly its easier to dock as pups... I just don't like it though, personal choice.

As for Pointers (don't like "English Pointer" and they are KC reg as Pointer ) they were bred to run with greyhounds and whilst most dogs chase, on sighting game, namely rabbit they were bred to stand and 'point' stock still and show where the hounds were to go... they are not HPR's .... though Code would give it a go I am sure.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Lovely full tails???? I tell you what, the next time Oscar my full tailed Wire Vizsla is screaming in agony because he's ended up with dead tail after a spell hunting for game I'll give you a ring so you can come and view his "lovely full tail". Doesn't matter that the dog can hardly walk without screaming (and I mean screaming, my parents nearly rang the vets the first time they witnessed it as they thought he was paralysed ), as long as it looks nice, right? And you think those who dock are cruel. Unbelievable.
Sorry if I have already missed the reason why, but could I just ask why you bought a full tailed Vizsla pup if you intended on working him? Also, if he is in real agony after working, would it be better NOT to work him in the first place (as I understand he is a pet, not a working dog??).

Just curious.

I am not strongly for or against docking (probably due to not having docked breeds). However, I do understand the reasons for docking in working gundogs, and find that acceptable. I think you also make a good point about the KC banging on about "fit for function" and then ban docked gundogs from their shows
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 09:44 AM
When they dock puppies nowadays are their little tails still cut off with scissors, or is it done more humanely? It is around 30 years since my GSP, Lizzie, had her first litter, and the pups tails were cut off with scissors with no anaesthetic. I was absolutely horrified, their shrieks will haunt me for ever more. I guess it is this aspect of docking that I hate the most, but I still do not approve in chopping bits off dogs unneccessarily.

I take your point Ripsnorter, and I am terribly sorry for your poor dog, but to give you a scenario, Tai impaled himself on a dead branch a few months ago, he was in terrible pain, and had to have a major op with hospitalisation and may not have survived. However, he still runs through the undergrowth in the woods chasing squirrels, I don't stop him. I guess it is not a very good analogy, but what I saying is that dogs have accidents and injuries the whole time, and I do not believe in chopping puppies tails off just because of "what if". It is very unfortunate that there are cases such as your poor dog, but thankfully they cannot be that common. I do not know of one dog who has ever injured his tail through wagging or in hunting/retrieving incidents, and I must have met thousands of labs, pointers, retrievers, spaniels over the decades, all used for shooting, pointing and retrieving in heavy undergrowth. I don't doubt that these injuries exist, just that they do not justify mutilating little puppies.
Page 7 of 16 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »