View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2011, 11:25 PM
Sad to see the docked tails too, why do I not like dock tails? one word - rotties

They look luuuuuush with their full tails!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2011, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Probably was to be honest there usually really short.
Hers are as short as the one in the group
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2011, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the responses I can now answer my lodger's question. Makes sense, so we should gradually see fewer docked dogs in the next few years and then eventually all show ring dogs will have lovely full tails

I do know a few dogs that have had tO have their tails docked after damaging them doing their jibs running through underbrush etc, but then I know a few people who have trapped their thumbs in desks while filing in office jobs, sitlk I don't think all office workers should have thier thumbs docked!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2011, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Thanks for the responses I can now answer my lodger's question. Makes sense, so we should gradually see fewer docked dogs in the next few years and then eventually all show ring dogs will have lovely full tails

I do know a few dogs that have had tO have their tails docked after damaging them doing their jibs running through underbrush etc, but then I know a few people who have trapped their thumbs in desks while filing in office jobs, sitlk I don't think all office workers should have thier thumbs docked!
The difference being that the opposable thumb is vital to human, the tail isn't to a dog(especially if it born without one !)
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 12:07 AM
[QUOTE=magpye;2204662]Thanks for the responses I can now answer my lodger's question. Makes sense, so we should gradually see fewer docked dogs in the next few years and then eventually all show ring dogs will have lovely full tails

I do know a few dogs that have had tO have their tails docked after damaging them doing their jibs running through underbrush etc, but then I know a few people who have trapped their thumbs in desks while filing in office jobs, sitlk I don't think all office workers should have thier thumbs docked![/Q]

It's only at Crufts and shows were the public pay admission so you'll still see docked dogs a few welsh breeders still dock.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 09:06 AM
I lost part of a finger a few years ago. I can feel it all the time. It is cold, and sensitive. It feels strange. I assume it`s the same when a tail is docked.
Shamus (who was docked when I got him) is very sensitive round his rear end. I can`t help feeling there is a connection there.
kobi
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Kobi just 10 months old.
Was docked as I purchased from a gamekeeper.
Docked and certified as his intention and expectation was to sell into working homes.
kobi
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-03-2011, 09:29 AM
So does this mean I could not do agility/flyball at paid entry shows or does it just apply to show benches
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-03-2011, 09:50 AM
I do not agree with docking for looks at all. I have a docked, 6 year old GWP rescue. I know 3 undocked GWP's who now have no tail at all, not even a stump because they damaged them. If they had been docked in the 1st place this would not have happened. Vets words not mine.
It was nice the see the GWP best of breed was undocked though.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 10:20 AM
To my mind a dogs tail is vital for communication and balance and it's horrifically cruel to dock it. I don't think dogs should have benn deliberately bred to be tailless either but there you go... Though dogs do learn to manage without their tails as people can learn to manage without tongues, or thumbs, or limbs, and leave perfectly happy healthy lives, that sell doesn't excuse the deliberate mutilation.

There now I've broken my promise in the original post and made it about the why's and why nots of tail docking.

There will still be cruel or old fashioned people who will dock their dogs, but hopefully the general public will start getting used to seeing these breeds with tails and demand for tailless dogs will go down. The puppy mills have stopped docking their dogs which can only be a good thing, so many puppies die from infection from bad tail jobs or people who think banding a tail is an exceptable and cheap alternative to a vet bill...

Don't get me started on ear cropping! That ban worked now we just need to see an end to all puppy mutilation for the sake of one or two dogs who might damage a tail while working or worse just for tradition, for looks and for fashion!
Page 3 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »