Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
weevle21
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
some people just have chips on their shoulders.

Live n let live thats my view. I dont give a fig what anyone else is doing or saying Ill do what I like. I traipsed all the way over to Malvern Champ show once (nearly 3 hours from me) not a chance in heck of getting a rossie but the reason i entered? cause I could! Entered East of England champ show too got binned at that as well but didnt bother me, you always take the best dog home as they say and by god they aint wrong

and i have all my boys rossies in pride of place on the kitchen pinboard for all to see as am proud of my boy whether it be best in breed at an open show or 4th place in the working class at a local companion show

I agree. Our rosettes are pride of place in the front room and i have great pleasure in telling people 'that one was won for best trick and that for musical mats!'
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by weevle21 View Post
I feel very sad that when someone starts a thread asking peoples opinions it suddenly turns into an outright attack on one person with a different opinion.

Surely the world would be boring if we all had the same opinion. I am inclined to agree with different bits of people's post but i don't agree with this attack on rune.

Surely if anyone, you should attack me because it was me that started the first post about this (oh, that's right a lot of people did that anyway) but it is just an opinion and a discussion after all.

If it carries on here like it has been i don't think i'll bother with this forum. I thought it was meant to be interesting and interactive not just another breeding ground for bullies.
I dont think anyone is attacking, just defending the right to attend the shows that Rune does, that she has clearly said she wouldnt welcome us show folk to, and being a show organiser as she says, i find that very suprising. Im pretty sure if you re-read the posts it is not all one sided, Rune has given as good as she got I actually found a few of her comments incredibly rude, your first post didnt offend me, but when people were explaining why people would enter their show dogs and how things are done, then the defensive comments started about how show dogs shouldnt be welcome.

I cant see any bullying on either side, just two very opposing views from people who may never agree. I will continue taking my youngsters and oldies to our local companion shows whether people like it or not
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 02:49 PM
I agree. Our rosettes are pride of place in the front room and i have great pleasure in telling people 'that one was won for best trick and that for musical mats!'
My Riley (non show dog) has two special rosettes that have pride of place in the middle of the champ show cards and Crufts rosettes. One was a "Best Puppy in Show" he won at an open show in the days when he used to be shown. The other is his first place rosette for obedience at a local fun show. Both are equally special to me and im equally proud of him for each of them
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 02:52 PM
I have also seen (like rune said) people selling puppies with the room full of rosettes. They say ......dog show or ....dog training club etc and not what class they were for. ).

- at any point did these people suggest they were won by said dog at a champ show or otherwise? or did you just assume they were there to give that impression? did you ask what they were for?

does feela bit spoilt sometimes when there are people standing looking very embarrased that their untrained dog is trying to play with others.
why in the name of god would you be embarassed that your dog acts like a dog and is having fun? its sounds like the people you are referring to have issues with their self esteem?
weevle21
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
-
why in the name of god would you be embarassed that your dog acts like a dog and is having fun? its sounds like the people you are referring to have issues with their self esteem?
Because when you are at a fun dog show and you and your dog are having fun, there are some (NOTALL) people who are very serious with their showing, who won't join in conversations or who push your dog away when they want a sniff (as you say just being a dog) at theirs.
It's a bit like feeling under dressed at a posh dinner.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 03:13 PM
Because when you are at a fun dog show and you and your dog are having fun, there are some (NOTALL) people who are very serious with their showing, who won't join in conversations or who push your dog away when they want a sniff (as you say just being a dog) at theirs.
Oh, dont worry, thats not just fun shows, thats all shows. And, that also happens on walks, at training classes, even puppy classes. There are stuck up people in every hobby or activity, it doesnt mean you should think less of everyone who shows. I love to let my pups play in the ring, especially in a big class so they dont get bored waiting. Infact my adult basenji is worse than anyone, shows so beautifully and always looks very prim and proper for her turn, then as soon as we're waiting in line again she turns into a naughty pup and starts winding the other dogs up She was boxing with a bassett hound at the weekend!! 90% of people love to let their dogs play, but you always get the odd few who wont allow it Just ignore them Its not "show people" in general at all.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 03:17 PM
This is one of those things where I don't think you will change anyones opinions

I think its perfectly acceptable for 'show' dogs to go to companions hows - however, I won't enter my dogs in the pedigree classes as I don't feel the need to - there is also an element of I might get lynched should we do well!!!

I can also see that if you dog really is that successful at shows and champ shows why it is felt the need to win prizes at companion show level - but if you are supporting your local show why not?

We first started showing in 2005 and having only done a little and then entered our local village show - Max went BIS. We then did a couple more and he didn't even get placed was I upset did I think those people must show at a higher level No - at the end of the day it is the judges decision.

I will enter Charlie (doesn't get shown) in the pedigree and bless him he hasn't won any rosettes - but again am I sour that the 'show' guys have beaten - how do I know if they are shown or not - do people know Charlie isn't shown - I will groom him and he will be on a show lead! And Jess will stack him and run him properly! No doubt those that don't show are pointing and saying look a 'show' dog that shouldn't be here!

I had the pleasure of judging the novelty classes last weekend at a companion show - what great fun and I tried to share out the rosettes - I saw dogs that were obviously shown - unnecessarily stacked in prettiest bitch and handsome dog.

I didn't go over the dogs and I didn't feel the need to run them except in the best condition class - yes a pedigree dog won but she wasn't a show dog! Alot of pedigrees got placed.

I was true to myself in what I liked but if I saw someone who had repeatedly enter made sure they got a rosette and I did have a favorite who I would have placed first in all the classes but didn't ! (and no he wasn't a pedigree - just a delightful dog with a great character!)

Also there were two smashing dobermans - who had taken part in the pedigree classes and also entered brace. This man showed his dogs off and they were handled presented to perfection. These dogs were actually rescue dobes - not shown at a high level - no doubt these would have been booed etc. at some of the shows mentioned but it goes to show you can not judge a book by its cover!

People need to go with a better attitude to these shows I had a friend moaning that the judge didn't know its breeds etc. - its just fun and you are there to enjoy your day with you dog.

And remember at the end of the day you take the best dog home!
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 03:20 PM
But how do you know they are show people - there are some people who travel and do companion shows all over and take it far to seriously - in all areas people can be snooty. At agility some may talk to you in the queue - some may not - some are rude to the people who are running it and some aren't. That's just people!
weevle21
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Oh, dont worry, thats not just fun shows, thats all shows. And, that also happens on walks, at training classes, even puppy classes. There are stuck up people in every hobby or activity, it doesnt mean you should think less of everyone who shows. 90% of people love to let their dogs play, but you always get the odd few who wont allow it Just ignore them Its not "show people" in general at all.
Now thats a much better way of explaining it and that's the sort of thing i have personally been unhappy about (the stuck up few who seem stuck in a bubble and not really caring for their dogs outside of the ring-meaning the ones i saw in cages in the sun with no water)
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 03:31 PM
We don't get many companion and fun shows round here (not sure why?) and when we do they often seem to be on Saturdays when I'm working, but if they was one on a Sunday I would take the woofers and would enter them in whatever I felt like. It may be different with my dogs because most people assume they are crossbreeds anyway . I took Loki to a few companion shows and his rosettes are on the noticeboard at work along with Dan and Rio's champ and open show rosettes. I display them at work - not to sell puppies, but because I am proud of them and it also shows my customers that I am a doggy person who is serious about what I do. Wins aren't as important to me as mine and my dog's performance on any show day. If I feel Rio stood and moved well and we were a good team it doesn't matter how she places. Of course if she does get something I'm delighted, but if not we still had a lovely day together.

As for using vet nurses, dog wardens etc as judges, a dog warden judged Loki and wrote his details as a husky cross (He was an Elkhound). Another fun show was judged by the Mayor and the dog that won was obese. The organisers should at least find a judge that knows one end of a dog from another.
Page 7 of 13 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »