Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
footsieG
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I was talking about fun shows NOT companion shows.

Thanks for the info though. Always interesting to know.

rune
I have only just joined dogsey, and this is the only discussion that has got under my skin, Rune you may not be biased but you sound biased and angry, maybe we are reading what you are saying in a different way, ie, You will do, or will you do, isn't it better to ask rather than tell, your post appear to be telling, in other words you sound very very miffed about something. I am now going, removing myself from this thread and taking my boys for a walk, much healthy.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Get an appropriate judge, job done.

Our local show, my friend judged the novelty classes. She breeds and shows pugs. there was a griffen brux????? in best condition class, i remarked afterwards what a fine looking dog he was well muscled shiny and bold as brass. reason he didnt win? 'i couldnt be seen to be favouring a breed similar to mine' It didnt enter any of the pedigree classes on the day and was head and shoulders above the other dogs, the kid was obviously crestfallen (as any kid would be who loved their dog)

Is that fair?

and as for breeders using novelty rosettes to impress prospective owners well, a fool and their money are easily parted.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Possibly---but why would they WANT to? When I competed at agility I wouldn't have gone to a fun village show obstacle course down the road for practice. I'd have gone to an open show or trained somewhere the dog wasn't used to being.

I am talking about purely novelty class fun shows.

rune
Well, i explained why I would want to. In order to support my local shows and charities I care about and at the same time gets my oldies and non-show dogs out and about and joining in with the showdogs that they wouldnt normally get to do. To me they are just pets and in no way show dogs, but maybe to someone like you who saw me grooming them, having a ring clip and handling "correctly" you may see them a different way.

I would much rather get my young pups trained at a more relaxed show where you havent got to worry about who is seeing your pup misbehave And also i would rather have them having been to at least one show before putting them into a show where points are on offer for certain titles as they are in Open Shows.

As you clearly posted, the shows welcome every dog - purebred or cross. Why should you feel it ok to discriminate against show dogs?

Many of our local companion/fun shows have other activities on offer - obedience, agility, scurries. My SHOW dogs also enjoy having a go at that too (with varying degrees of success ), by entering them in those fun things as well as the show classes the charity are getting double the money they would have if i just did the obedience/agility/scurry.

This entire thread does just come across as sour grapes cos you (and others) have been beaten by dogs who were presented better That is what dog showing is about - get over it!!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 11:49 AM
I am well aware how much the clips cost thank you.

As I said when we run them we make sure the judge understands the 'fun' part----once bitten and all that!

We now avoid asking show people to judge and stick to dog wardens, vet nurses etc.

rune
Im sorry Lynne, I thought it was the OP that mentioned ring clips, silly me reading things that you posted as invisible!

If you put on a "fun" show, then thats all it os, if you put on a "companion" show then it must be run by KC rules, simple as.. Of course there is much more work involved with a companion show, fun shows can be done in a minutes notice. You have fun or novelty classes at KC companion shows, they ARE the fun classes.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Well, i explained why I would want to. In order to support my local shows and charities I care about and at the same time gets my oldies and non-show dogs out and about and joining in with the showdogs that they wouldnt normally get to do. To me they are just pets and in no way show dogs, but maybe to someone like you who saw me grooming them, having a ring clip and handling "correctly" you may see them a different way.

I would much rather get my young pups trained at a more relaxed show where you havent got to worry about who is seeing your pup misbehave And also i would rather have them having been to at least one show before putting them into a show where points are on offer for certain titles as they are in Open Shows.

As you clearly posted, the shows welcome every dog - purebred or cross. Why should you feel it ok to discriminate against show dogs?

Many of our local companion/fun shows have other activities on offer - obedience, agility, scurries. My SHOW dogs also enjoy having a go at that too (with varying degrees of success ), by entering them in those fun things as well as the show classes the charity are getting double the money they would have if i just did the obedience/agility/scurry.

This entire thread does just come across as sour grapes cos you (and others) have been beaten by dogs who were presented better That is what dog showing is about - get over it!!
Am I at all allowed to agree with you? Cos Lynne really does have sour grapes!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Am I at all allowed to agree with you? Cos Lynne really does have sour grapes!:mrgreen:
Surely not?? not in her "fun" dog shows where second rate show dogs are not welcome, but then how does she know which is the show dog when there is no paper work to fill in

Just ban anything that resembles a "show dog" but then ALL dog are welcome

Make sure only vet nurses and dog wardens judge the classes, we would not want anyone to judge who may like the look of a pedigree now would we.

Set down rules for judges to "share out" the prizes, ,

yep thats a good fun /fair day out!!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Surely not?? not in her "fun" dog shows where second rate show dogs are not welcome, but then how does she knwo which is the show dog when there is no paper work to fill in

Sounds about right!
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Am I at all allowed to agree with you? Cos Lynne really does have sour grapes!
Good Lord, would such a thing happen??

It really does show that its not always the show folk who are the snobby ones as is so often complained about
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Surely not?? not in her "fun" dog shows where second rate show dogs are not welcome, but then how does she know which is the show dog when there is no paper work to fill in

Make sure only vet nurses and dog wardens judge the classes, we would not want anyone to judge who may like the look of a pedigree now would we.

Set down rules for judges to "share out" the prizes, ,

yep thats a good fun /fair day out!!
So that would mean banning anything bred correctly and resembles the breed it is, and allow all the puppy farm bred and those that look nothing like they should do and encourage those instead, yes?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
Rosettes to impress I have never heard of. I tend to donate any I win back to the show organisers even place ones at champ shows.
I only keep best of breeds and best in show and then don't display them anywhere.
What makes me laugh Is people suggesting that 'show' people that show at a higher level that 'fun' shows would want to keep rosettes from 'fun' shows to Impress people to buy a pup! Complete madness! Plus not forgetting serious show people are not they only ones to breed, pet people do to. They may also enter fun shows and use rosettes to sell their pups! So I guess we should just stop giving rosettes or ban all breeders from showing at fun level ! How very very stupied I must say! But then the opinions on this forum never seem to amaze me.

Also we have none of ours on display either!
Page 5 of 13 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »