Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
hmm thats weird never heard of that before, what breeder you know of does that?
I couldnt Imagine some one that shows at championship level or anyone else for that matter caring about showing possible owners, rossettes from fun shows.

I agree with Dawn the judges decision is final...Of course In any show some people wont be happy with the choice, even champion shows! Just how It goes. Cant please all.
Several locally---I expect you move in more exalted circles and so have never seen it happen.

Fun village shows should be just that IMO---not places for second rate show dogs to pick up easy rosettes.

Of course judges decision is final---goes without saying. It is a learning curve for the organisers. We had the same problem one year---anyone who could put their dog in a stand won---regardless of which class it was.

I reckon that generally if you enter these shows it is a fun way to give to charity and the rosettes are a lovely bonus if you happen to get any.

I like a judge who spreads them around!

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
If it were a companion show, then its run on KC rules. If its a "fun" show then it isnt, however, same remains, the judges decision is final, if you dont want it, dont enter.

Re showing clips, I assume you mean the ring card clip, if so they are 20p each!!
I am well aware how much the clips cost thank you.

As I said when we run them we make sure the judge understands the 'fun' part----once bitten and all that!

We now avoid asking show people to judge and stick to dog wardens, vet nurses etc.

rune
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Several locally---I expect you move in more exalted circles and so have never seen it happen.

Fun village shows should be just that IMO---not places for second rate show dogs to pick up easy rosettes.

Of course judges decision is final---goes without saying. It is a learning curve for the organisers. We had the same problem one year---anyone who could put their dog in a stand won---regardless of which class it was.

I reckon that generally if you enter these shows it is a fun way to give to charity and the rosettes are a lovely bonus if you happen to get any.

rune
They might aswell just buy rossettes then hadnt they..

I enjoy showing our dogs at fun level. Its a day out, supporting local rescues. My JRT love them. Problem Is when you take a show dog Into a showing enviroment they do not know the difference, from a 'real' show to a fun one, so they show off how they have been trained to for higher shows. This Is what some people dont seem to like, as the 'show' dogs are alot of the time better behaved, move out nicer ect! But of course In some of the classes It shouldnt matter how well behaved a dog Is, Its just fun.
footsieG
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
They might aswell just buy rossettes then hadnt they..

I enjoy showing our dogs at fun level. Its a day out, supporting local rescues. My JRT love them. Problem Is when you take a show dog Into a showing enviroment they do not know the difference, from a 'real' show to a fun one, so they show off how they have been trained to for higher shows. This Is what some people dont seem to like, as the 'show' dogs are alot of the time better behaved, move out nicer ect! But of course In some of the classes It shouldnt matter how well behaved a dog Is, Its just fun.
Thank You, just what I was thinking, I was at a companion show last saturday, and because I had bathed and groomed Kyesh (who is shown at championship level, and is being placed not second class, as said previously) I was laught at saying her dog was always dirty, all I can say is Poor Judge, who was a Class A judge. thanks for standing up for the right for any dog to enter any show, (that they are able to) todo the best of their ability, and enjoy it, being placed is a bonus.
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-07-2010, 11:33 PM
There is a few fun shows on here over the next few weeks (one this weekend..) but I've actually been put off going to them because I own a show dog and people give funny looks etc. Mainly because I make an effort with my dog and how I dress in the ring. I'm not there to win anything just to get practise for Blu being gone over. Pet people do seem to have a problem with show dogs being at fun shows and winning. They don't seem to realise the owners might actually support the charity.

I might go on Sunday with my 2 boys but depends how Cheeko looks after I groom him tomorrow..!

As for rossettes.. any we have won say 'fun show/companion show' so would hardly try to show people them to try look like we have won major shows.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 07:13 AM
I think if rosettes for fun classes were marked very clearly with `Novelty Class` it would help. I`ve got rosettes for my dogs in classes like `Best Rescue` etc, and they look the same as Breed Class rosettes.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
There is a few fun shows on here over the next few weeks (one this weekend..) but I've actually been put off going to them because I own a show dog and people give funny looks etc. Mainly because I make an effort with my dog and how I dress in the ring. I'm not there to win anything just to get practise for Blu being gone over. Pet people do seem to have a problem with show dogs being at fun shows and winning. They don't seem to realise the owners might actually support the charity.

I might go on Sunday with my 2 boys but depends how Cheeko looks after I groom him tomorrow..!

As for rossettes.. any we have won say 'fun show/companion show' so would hardly try to show people them to try look like we have won major shows.
They aren't here---only the very big ones.

I don't have any problem with dogs that are shown regularly entering fun shows---it is when the judge is a show judge with no room in their heads to think a 'handsome' dog might not be the one that has been taught to stand the best!

Before I get accused of sour grapes I'd like to point out that Ettas first fun show was last w/e and it was the funniest fun show I have ever been to----and it went by too fast to see who was placed at all! We tend to run them rather than enter them.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 07:47 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I think if rosettes for fun classes were marked very clearly with `Novelty Class` it would help. I`ve got rosettes for my dogs in classes like `Best Rescue` etc, and they look the same as Breed Class rosettes.
It all ups the cost though. We just do novelty classes as that puts off some of the people who want their dog to get practice at being gone over properly.

We don't do any paperwork except winners names for the paper or whatever and we do entries by raffle ticket----one ticket per class collected on the way in to the ring---makes life simple all round for us and entrants.

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Reading the thread about pedigrees/non-pedigrees at local dog shows made me wonder what you would think about the situation we went to at one a few years back.

It was a local dogs show at a fete in a small village in Norfolk. My work colleague lived there and said lots of the village people entered their pet dogs. There were 2 people who came together with "show quality" dogs and had professional looking attire on and show-clips for their numbers. They had an American Cocker spaniel and a smooth Fox Terrier and either one of these dogs won every class they entered throughout the afternoon. It got so that one man was booing him when he won a class near the end of the showing. He also took BIS with the American Cocker.

I did mention after the show to the lady who had been taking entries that it seemed a bit unfair that the same people had won practically everything and she said they had received a lot of complaints and would be looking for a different judge for next year's show as it was a small village companion dog show for pet dogs.

I mentioned this to my friends at agility classes and they said that if those 2 dogs were the best in each class then they should have been chosen. What do you think?

P.S -they did find a better judge for next year's show as Parker won "Best in Show" then!
Judges decision if final,

Originally Posted by rune View Post

rune
Oh for goodness sake , put the claws away, definitely sour grapes there, flippin big ones I might add
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Judges decision if final,

Oh for goodness sake , put the claws away, definitely sour grapes there, flippin big ones I might add
LOL----Doubtful since I probably enter about one show every couple of years!

So on that basis would you like to elaborate on why I should be sour grapish?

rune
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »