Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 08:55 PM

What is fair?

Reading the thread about pedigrees/non-pedigrees at local dog shows made me wonder what you would think about the situation we went to at one a few years back.

It was a local dogs show at a fete in a small village in Norfolk. My work colleague lived there and said lots of the village people entered their pet dogs. There were 2 people who came together with "show quality" dogs and had professional looking attire on and show-clips for their numbers. They had an American Cocker spaniel and a smooth Fox Terrier and either one of these dogs won every class they entered throughout the afternoon. It got so that one man was booing him when he won a class near the end of the showing. He also took BIS with the American Cocker.

I did mention after the show to the lady who had been taking entries that it seemed a bit unfair that the same people had won practically everything and she said they had received a lot of complaints and would be looking for a different judge for next year's show as it was a small village companion dog show for pet dogs.

I mentioned this to my friends at agility classes and they said that if those 2 dogs were the best in each class then they should have been chosen. What do you think?

P.S -they did find a better judge for next year's show as Parker won "Best in Show" then!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 09:00 PM
The judges decision is final.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 09:21 PM
If they were the best 2 dogs then they were the best 2 dog, however, this is why 'companion shows' have other classes such as, 'waggiest tail' and 'best 6 legs' and 'best crossbreed' e.t.c, the more 'fun' classes which the other shows don't, so the 'showy dogs' don't win all the classes.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Judge obviously didn't understand 'fun' dog shows!

We make sure we find judges who do when we run the local rescue kennels show.

Sadly the rosettes are often used to impress possible puppy buyers who don't know what they are looking at.

rune
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Judge obviously didn't understand 'fun' dog shows!

We make sure we find judges who do when we run the local rescue kennels show.

Sadly the rosettes are often used to impress possible puppy buyers who don't know what they are looking at.

rune
If it were a companion show, then its run on KC rules. If its a "fun" show then it isnt, however, same remains, the judges decision is final, if you dont want it, dont enter.

Re showing clips, I assume you mean the ring card clip, if so they are 20p each!!
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
The judges decision is final.
I agree.

Complaining after always makes me think 'bad loser'
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 09:52 PM
Where I live the agricultural shows are highly competitive. I have been doing them for the last 4 years with my non pedigree "show dog". Sacha is trained in ringcraft, loves showing and we make an effort to be well turned out at shows and yes have clips for our numbers.

I don't complain if we are competing against KC show dogs, I take great pleasure when we beat them

Yes these shows did get me wanting to go further, but I had an almost 2 year wait for my KC registered dog who is yet still too young to show.

I see no reason why the main showing classes at our local shows shouldn't be won by the dogs and handlers that are well turned out and make an effort. There would be many complaints if they weren't!! You usually see the same group of people at all the shows within a 50 mile radius of us.

The shows always have classes for the local pet dogs and fun classes so the locals are not left out and often go home with a prize.

I know lots of people that got involved in showing at these shows and moved onto KC showing. I also know alot of people that have no wish to go further than the agricutural shows, but are present at most of them and love showing their dogs. I can't see a problem with the best dog winning whatever it is.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 09:54 PM
The fun show we entered had a special class at the end that could only be entered by dogs who hadn't won anything else
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by wallaroo View Post
The fun show we entered had a special class at the end that could only be entered by dogs who hadn't won anything else
A lot of 'pedigree' shows have similar classes, most of the time. The best dog wins at the end of the day and if that dog is outstanding and enters more than one class, it may well win more than one class, it's just how the cookie crumbles, at least in 'fun' shows it would be highly unusual to get all the 'facey placings', i.e., a certain person could have a pig on the end of a lead and it would still win the class.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post

rune
hmm thats weird never heard of that before, what breeder you know of does that?
I couldnt Imagine some one that shows at championship level or anyone else for that matter caring about showing possible owners, rossettes from fun shows.

I agree with Dawn the judges decision is final...Of course In any show some people wont be happy with the choice, even champion shows! Just how It goes. Cant please all.
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »