Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
I completley agree with Dawn

i think it would be terrible disresptectful to enter a dog to a dog show to have to be judged on its looks, if it wasnt prepared properally. Shows zero respect for the judge imo.

Its only "a part" of what the judge is looking for.

Its abit like me going to a ob show , having the BEST heelwork but not having bothered to teach the rest of the things required, & therefore just wasting the judges time
As much as obedience isnt my "thing" I do agree that most people who compete from what I have seen care very much about their dogs condition and presentation It looks much better on the eye to know people have put in a bit of effort to produce and present their dogs to their best advantage both physically and training wise.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Yes thats a good point! I enjoy perparing the dogs for the ring! I want them to look their best, show their best and be In with a chance of a fair placing. But If a judge turned around to me and told me she/he didnt like how I had trimmed the ears I would be right p'ed off! With Puffs, you can have shaved ears, or leave them with the fringing.
Also the Puffs can be erect or dropped ear'ed. If a judge choose another dog over mine just because how my dogs ears were perpared or how they stood, then I would have something to say, because after all its just their opinions and how the ears are prepared makes no difference on the over all dog.
Some people dont put enough effort Into perparing their dogs, and some people go way ott!

Btw Dawn - Dont ever meet me at a show because I think I would be coming home with a couple of extra dogs!!
You'd send them back, I promise you!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
As much as obedience isnt my "thing" I do agree that most people who compete from what I have seen care very much about their dogs condition and presentation It looks much better on the eye to know people have put in a bit of effort to produce and present their dogs to their best advantage both physically and training wise.
Because the dog is judged on preformance, i dont need to bath or groom the dogs before a show (thankgod), but because they need to be at peak phyiscal fitness to preform 100% they tend to look ok (fit-good muscle tone , shiny coats etc)

some people do trim their dogs feet because they think it completes the picture, my dogs dont seem to have very hairy feet though!!!! You have to be careful with your clothes so they dont flap in your dogs face & tidy neat shoes so that the human side of the partnership dosent let the dog down
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2010, 01:07 PM
You have to be careful with your clothes so they dont flap in your dogs face & tidy neat shoes so that the human side of the partnership dosent let the dog down
You should have seen what some of the crested people where wearing at crufts while showing Some didnt just flap in the dogs face/bum while walking but where so bright and sparkly was putting me off watching the dog lol

Also I HATE to see people wearing jeans while showing at championship level, its a real bug bear!

I remember the first show I ever went to that I was handling at was a crested champ club show and a girl was asked to leave the ring as she was wearing pink jeans, that looked to have never seen an iron.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Because the dog is judged on preformance, i dont need to bath or groom the dogs before a show (thankgod), but because they need to be at peak phyiscal fitness to preform 100% they tend to look ok (fit-good muscle tone , shiny coats etc)

some people do trim their dogs feet because they think it completes the picture, my dogs dont seem to have very hairy feet though!!!! You have to be careful with your clothes so they dont flap in your dogs face & tidy neat shoes so that the human side of the partnership dosent let the dog down
Oh yes have seen the flappy leg syndrome.
You should have seen what some of the crested people where wearing at crufts while showing Some didnt just flap in the dogs face/bum while walking but where so bright and sparkly was putting me off watching the dog lol

Also I HATE to see people wearing jeans while showing at championship level, its a real bug bear!

I remember the first show I ever went to that I was handling at was a crested champ club show and a girl was asked to leave the ring as she was wearing pink jeans, that looked to have never seen an iron.
Its best we dont meet then. Every other person I know wears jeans.
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2010, 01:42 PM
That was my point, its only pictures. Tarn was too hard a Terrier to be any good as a Fox dog, he also has a barrel rib cage, evident in that photo, he would not be able to get to ground easily with that shape rib, they should be flat. Of all the pics, Orey is in the best "coat."

No feathering because they shouldnt have any.

It doesnt though, working gundog folk, like Terriermen wouldnt be bothered about grooming and they wouldnt care about what the dog "looked" like, its more likely for their benefit the dogs lack the coat the breed dictates they have, however working Spaniels in many cases do have deformed fronts, you wont find that on a show dog.

Same applies, they want a lighter dog all over, so they bred from smaller, lighter animals, they dont conform to the breed standard laid down for them.
I am not familiar with the breed standard for border terriers...hence making an assumption based on pictures. I would be a rubbish judge tbh.

That confirms it then...a breed standard is not set out to raise the points that make that breed a sound well-proportioned working dog but more what people like to look at. A dog with beautiful feathers is lovely but surely you agree that it would not do well tramping around woods, clambering through bushes, in rivers and under fences.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Its best we dont meet then. Every other person I know wears jeans.
Really, Have you ever seen a judge moan about handlers In jeans? alot of judges get funny about jeans so Im told. There Is one judge In cavs that will never judge a dog If handler is wearing jeans - So no one would dare turn up wearing them. If anything I would be to scared to enter the ring In jeans! Getting sent home after spending £50 odd I dont think so! Alot of the crested people wear jeans, and I havent seen them moaned at other than the girl I mentioned before.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Really, Have you ever seen a judge moan about handlers In jeans? alot of judges get funny about jeans so Im told. There Is one judge In cavs that will never judge a dog If handler is wearing jeans - So no one would dare turn up wearing them. If anything I would be to scared to enter the ring In jeans! Getting sent home after spending £50 odd I dont think so! Alot of the crested people wear jeans, and I havent seen them moaned at other than the girl I mentioned before.
I have never ever in 23yrs known a person to be critisized for what they wear in the ring, ever. They are there to judge the dog, not what the handler chooses to wear.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2010, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by Kalasin View Post
I am not familiar with the breed standard for border terriers...hence making an assumption based on pictures. I would be a rubbish judge tbh.

That confirms it then...a breed standard is not set out to raise the points that make that breed a sound well-proportioned working dog but more what people like to look at. A dog with beautiful feathers is lovely but surely you agree that it would not do well tramping around woods, clambering through bushes, in rivers and under fences.
I dont agree that a coated dog cant do the job it was bred for no. Did you look at the link I posted? Those dogs are show champions, they also WORK! They work in the conditions their breed dictates, there is absolutely no reason that I can see for a coated dog not to work. Do you think a long coated GSD cant do the job it was bred for? How about an Afghan Hound?

Im not trying to be difficult here, just understand your reasoning.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2010, 06:57 PM
I have never ever in 23yrs known a person to be critisized for what they wear in the ring, ever. They are there to judge the dog, not what the handler chooses to wear.
ah well just shows some judges like to be over controlling.
I've also known over showers to moan and critisize other people In the ring for what they are wearing. One shower advised me to wear something that showed my cleavage as the judge, judging that show liked it along with short skirts! Thats the day I wondered If showing was for me!
Page 4 of 35 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »