Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by weevle21 View Post
Well the show went ahead and the judge was not at all like they had advertised. She did merit a variety of dogs and it was a good day.
I was appalled by some showers though. There was a car there with 3 cages of dogs -A Jack russel and two king charles spaniels, plus a golden retriever and a crossbreed terrier. They had the cages in the full sun (when there was shade on the other side of the car) all day with no water. When two of the dogs came into the ring they dragged her over to us and the dogs were trying to rip through the fence to get to the water. We put our bowl under the fence and both dogs stuck there head in it and drank it dry.
Then we filled it up and on their way out they passed us and did the same.
That to me is as bad as leaving a dog in a hot car and this is what i don't like in fun dog shows- When they don't appear to be pets (like us where they go everywhere with us) and have no human interaction until its there time to show.
It was a nice day on our part though, and the judge let the trophy donor pick best in show which was nice.
I'm glad you had a good day

I agree that leaving the dogs caged in full sun and without water was cruel. However, you seem to be implying that this was because they were 'proper show dogs'.....but this can't be the case as Jack Russells are not a recognised KC breed and can't therefore be shown at shows other than fun/companion shows (nor of course can the terrier x). This just therefore goes to show that it isn't whether or not the dogs are pedigrees/formally shown, but how the indivudal owners act and treat their dogs (and that there is good and bad in both 'formal showers' and in 'pet showers').
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 11:35 AM
I agree with Fiona, you get idiots that leave dogs in hot cars, without water etc regardless of whether they are show dogs.

Had that been me I would have had to report the owners to whoever was running the show, or had a quiet word with them as their dogs were drinking.

It seems to me that an assumption was made, once again, that these were serious showers as apposed to fun showers and that their dogs didn't go everywhere with them like yours do so therefore they must be serious showers...or do you know for certain that they are always caged, deprived of water and only brought out to show?
weevle21
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-07-2010, 01:19 PM
[QUOTE=Hali;2007882]

you seem to be implying that this was because they were 'proper show dogs'

No i didn't mean that it was because they were proper show dogs. Just that these particular people did not seem to have pets, they just had their dogs for this purpose (either to up the ratings of their future puppies or just because). They were not having fun and the girl showing them was very stroppy every time she did not get a prize and when they got 4th or 5th she was complaining she has too many of those and wants better!
We have seen them before with their dogs there in cages. I felt like saying something about the water but i didn't.
I'm not implying its show dogs who are not pets i know most are very much family dogs i', just talking about these particular people on the day. ( plus one or two others i have seen around before)
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-07-2010, 04:29 AM
up the ratings of their future puppies ? ..come on now I really don't think anyone gives a flying fig how well a dog does at these types of shows - the only wins that really count are CC, Reserve CC's and winning into the stud book - all of which can only be won at Championship shows.

To be honest if the rosettes are just " to be shared out " then why call it a dog show at all ?- of COURSE the best constructed, presented, groomed,well muscled and trained dogs should win..if they are not judged on these criteria then what are they judged on ... simply turning up ??? ..and equally of course the judge should know about construction , movement etc etc and they should also know how to approach and go over dogs without spooking them ...

.after all if you went to a 'fun ' agility event the dogs would be placed according to how well they had competed the course by a judge that knew about agility and the rosettes not just shared out !

this all smacks of the old green eyed monster to me !

Yvonne
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-07-2010, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I'm glad you had a good day

I agree that leaving the dogs caged in full sun and without water was cruel. However, you seem to be implying that this was because they were 'proper show dogs'.....but this can't be the case as Jack Russells are not a recognised KC breed and can't therefore be shown at shows other than fun/companion shows (nor of course can the terrier x). This just therefore goes to show that it isn't whether or not the dogs are pedigrees/formally shown, but how the indivudal owners act and treat their dogs (and that there is good and bad in both 'formal showers' and in 'pet showers').
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
I agree with Fiona, you get idiots that leave dogs in hot cars, without water etc regardless of whether they are show dogs.

Had that been me I would have had to report the owners to whoever was running the show, or had a quiet word with them as their dogs were drinking.

It seems to me that an assumption was made, once again, that these were serious showers as apposed to fun showers and that their dogs didn't go everywhere with them like yours do so therefore they must be serious showers...or do you know for certain that they are always caged, deprived of water and only brought out to show?
I agree with both the above, and 2 assumptions have been made, 1) they must have been show peopel 2) because they left their dogs in the car, they cant love them as pets

I agree , leaving dogs in hot cars is idiotic, but sadly that trait is not exclusive to one type of owner, nor does it imply the owners dont love their dogs.

You can go to any event around the country in the summer months, and see dogs left in cars, and the owners will be from all walks of life. they just leave their brains at home, when they go for a day out!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-07-2010, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by bijou View Post
up the ratings of their future puppies ? ..come on now I really don't think anyone gives a flying fig how well a dog does at these types of shows - the only wins that really count are CC, Reserve CC's and winning into the stud book - all of which can only be won at Championship shows.

To be honest if the rosettes are just " to be shared out " then why call it a dog show at all ?- of COURSE the best constructed, presented, groomed,well muscled and trained dogs should win..if they are not judged on these criteria then what are they judged on ... simply turning up ??? ..and equally of course the judge should know about construction , movement etc etc and they should also know how to approach and go over dogs without spooking them ...

.after all if you went to a 'fun ' agility event the dogs would be placed according to how well they had competed the course by a judge that knew about agility and the rosettes not just shared out !

this all smacks of the old green eyed monster to me !
Yvonne
Yep, it will never be made redundant, you know the saying, never a good loser
molezak
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Lol at being able to charge more pups having won for 1st in waggiest tail! I wish!! Most people that come and meet me and my dogs don't even notice the Best of Breed Champ show rosettes/certificates let alone a little red one!
Page 8 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8