View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-07-2010, 04:16 PM
When I first started showing I showed an un registered GSD. At one show we had won the no sporting class a white GSD won the open class and a white GSD puppy the puppy class. The sporting class was won by a racing greyhound. It also went into the open class and was beaten by the GSD. Someone at the ring side said it wasn't fair as the GSD's were proper show dogs. Non of them could be shown properly and the greyhound was a beaten dog so couldn't win anyway. My GSD won BIS.There was more chance of the greyhound being shown ' proper ' shows than the other 3.

I will be going to a companion show on sunday with the twins and Owen. They are having the pedigree classes including a veteran class and junior handler class then BIS for the pedigrees. Then a class for the non pedigrees and a trophy for their BIS. These classes include a class for JRT but you can bet they will also go in the sporting class for pedigrees.

After the classes for the non pedigrees they are having the novelty classes which anyone can enter. So by doing it this way everyone has a class they can go into It also says no CC winners allowed
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-07-2010, 06:15 AM
fun and companion shows are invaluable training grounds for youngsters destined for the showring - I always take mine to these types of shows before entering them at Champshows - I view them as extra training sessions and yes I groom, present and move my young dogs in the same way as I would at a more 'serious' show - the whole idea is to give your pup or inexperienced dog exactly the same kind of routine as they would have later on.

I also use these shows to help iron out any problems such as standing for the judge , moving at the right pace and keeping my youngsters focussed - those of us that show seriously may well win often because although raw and untrained we put a lot of hard work into our dogs training and presentation and they are generally of excellent quality but winning is not why we go - it's the training aspect that is the more valuable part of these types of shows .

Yvonne
Kanie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-07-2010, 01:03 PM
I can see absolutely no justifiaction for banning KC registered or show-dogs from fun shows. Whether a dog is a Heinz 57 or BIS at Crufts will have no bearing on its ability to wag its tail / do a trick / catch a sausage etc.

As the organiser of a fun day, I was left close to tears last year by the very pointed comments of a pair of disgruntled competitors who bemoaned the fact that there were some really well presented, healthy, sound dogs present - who just happened to be there with their owners who had given up their day to teach owners how to look after wiry coats properly. Apparently, the show was full of poseurs with show dogs and therefore not 'fun'

We always select judges specifically because they are able to put competitors at ease and the first four classes are all about finding the dogs in the best condition, so breed standards are not applied - which means all dogs are competing on a level playing-field. However, we welcome show people who want a bit of extra experience for their dogs in the ring and the judges always do their job properly and do look at teeth, movememnt and general condition. To not do so would, in my opinion, be insulting to the people who had worked hard to get their dogs into great shape. A judge asking dogs in a class for 'best condition' to walk up and down is not 'making it like Crufts' at all: it is giving everyone who has taken the trouble to enter the chance to be judged fairly

Perhaps before people complain, they should put themselves in the shoes of the people who give up their free time to run events like this. The venue, the stalls, rosettes, prizes, promotion etc. do not happen by magic and not all people who organise fun shows are 'kept women' who can pootle about with their dogs all day, spending their husband's wages (I wish ) or retired people with time on their hands. Most of us are people just like you (I guess most of you) - ordinary folk who love their dogs and just want to give something back

We know we can't please everyone, but we give it our best shot!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Good post! Just because some one shows at champtionship level does not or should not mean their not entitled to a nice day out with their fur kids and should never be made to feel like that I mean heck It was a fun dog show with a foster whippet that made me want to take things to a higher level, when my mum got Into the Chinese Cresteds....
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 02:50 PM
Attended our local show at the weekend and there was a real mix of people. Some that were there to enjoy it and some that felt superior to others (despite the fact that they themselves wouldnt have had a chance in heck of winning 'best condition' themselves! ahem..) We clapped wildly for my friends sisters Chi who refused to walk round the ring, the dachs who had at least 5 rossies by the end of the day and the dog who my friends daughter gave some ringcraft advice too who got a rossie as well.

And i saw my first ever real life Powder Puff!! Am a dobe girl through and through, would never have a fluffy or small dog but then OMG! Hairless face and neck and the rest this gorgeous white coat! I was just totally taken by this little character

so our fun show was fun
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
.And i saw my first ever real life Powder Puff!! Am a dobe girl through and through, would never have a fluffy or small dog but then OMG! Hairless face and neck and the rest this gorgeous white coat! I was just totally taken by this little character

so our fun show was fun
Glad you had a good day, and saw a little Puffer! Beautiful Beautiful dogs huh? Big dogs In little dogs bodies! So you can stay a big dog lover at heart !!!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
We were in a show where Simon Cowell was the judge. When he bent down to talk to Tilly she cocked a deafen and proceded to lick her bum instead!
All I can say is Tilly is obviously a dog of taste!
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
All I can say is Tilly is obviously a dog of taste!
Lol. Not star struck in the slightest!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by weevle21 View Post
There are a lot of people who have noticed here in Devon that 'Fun' dog shows are being overrun by people with KC dogs who are going into the pedigree classes then also getting top of the pops in the fun classes too.
A local dog show has been set up for next weekend and they are saying if the dogs are KC registered they will not allow them to enter.
The local KC dog people that do the rounds are getting very upset about it but actually i agree.
It's unfair that these people can have their own classes and then enter with us too and then use rosettes for 'waggiest tail' or 'fastest bonio eater' in order to gain a higher price on their pedigree pups.
What do you think?
Just get a judge who will judge fairly & "prep"them re the fun classes.

All the people we used to get to judge the pedigree classes judged them properly & the fun judges always spread the prizes around

I've done loads of judging & showing at Exemption/Companion shows & many years ago was accused of entering my Champion bitch in the puppy class ! She was a blue & my puppy was a brown Some people are just bad losers & this was a guy who entered his Yorkshire Terrier in the Toy class & the Terrier class !!!!!

I once gave a BIS to a short legged Jack Russell It was the best mover at the show !
weevle21
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-07-2010, 10:14 AM
Well the show went ahead and the judge was not at all like they had advertised. She did merit a variety of dogs and it was a good day.
I was appalled by some showers though. There was a car there with 3 cages of dogs -A Jack russel and two king charles spaniels, plus a golden retriever and a crossbreed terrier. They had the cages in the full sun (when there was shade on the other side of the car) all day with no water. When two of the dogs came into the ring they dragged her over to us and the dogs were trying to rip through the fence to get to the water. We put our bowl under the fence and both dogs stuck there head in it and drank it dry.
Then we filled it up and on their way out they passed us and did the same.
That to me is as bad as leaving a dog in a hot car and this is what i don't like in fun dog shows- When they don't appear to be pets (like us where they go everywhere with us) and have no human interaction until its there time to show.
It was a nice day on our part though, and the judge let the trophy donor pick best in show which was nice.
Page 7 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >