View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
malwhit
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-07-2010, 01:59 PM
A sunshow is meant to be fun - and should be open to all dogs, mongrels, crosses or pedigree.

I don't think winning a prize at a local show will enhance a breeder's reptation or increase the value of their dogs, as someone said earlier.

As I don't drive and can't attend KC shows easily - my local companion shows are not only a day out for me but also for the dogs (pedigree and crosses). I don't go with the intention of winning, just to have an enjoyable afternoon
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by malwhit View Post
A sunshow is meant to be fun - and should be open to all dogs, mongrels, crosses or pedigree.

I don't think winning a prize at a local show will enhance a breeder's reptation or increase the value of their dogs, as someone said earlier.

As I don't drive and can't attend KC shows easily - my local companion shows are not only a day out for me but also for the dogs (pedigree and crosses). I don't go with the intention of winning, just to have an enjoyable afternoon
Excellent post
pam2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Oh dear, I didn't realise the fun dog show world was so serious
I went to one a few weeks ago which I had seen advertised on here, we took Charlie, a pedigree golden retriever and entered him in sporting dog, he got a 3rd and I was delighted.
No one asked me if he was KC registered, everyone was very friendly and there was a mixture of pedigree and crossbreed dogs, different classes, stalls, food and I took it for what it was, a fun afternoon out.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I agree with H. To me it just sounds like sour grapes.

Why can't a pedigree dog (even a Crufts champion for that matter) have the right to enter a 'waggiest tail' competition? Does being a pedigree give them any more advantage over the other contestants - absolutely not.

Can they use fun show rosettes to con people into paying more for pups - well if they can, more fool those who pay - they should do their research and know exactly what they are buying.

I also have no objection to serious show goers entering breed classes - there are many reasons why they might want to do so - e.g. giving a young inexperienced dog some confidence, letting their children have a go at handling, etc. etc.

And I should imagine that anyone who's dog does really well at 'serious' showing would not bother entering the breed classes at a fun show because where is the pride to them in winning something like that?

I have rescues, none of which have ever had KC papers (as far as I know). But to me, I'd be happy as larry if my dogs beat a 'proper show dog' in a fun breed class - and if we didn't, well, so what?

The only people who I think should be banned from fun shows are those that are so hell bent on winning that they spoil the fun for others. 'Spoiling the fun of others' doens't include things like having a thoroughly well groomed dog or using a proper show lead in a class, but it does include things like moaning/complaining at the judge or trying to exert pressure on them to make a decision in their favour. And this can happen from owners of non-kc dogs as well as from those with kc dogs.

Good Post - I wouldnt say I am a 'serious' shower, But I show at championship level, Qualifing for crufts. How ever, I still like to show support to local rescues and go to fun shows If there close enough. I take Fable and Zani who are pets, and have taken some of the babies we show at championship level to. so what? Star (who is now qualifed for crufts)! Didnt get placed in the two classes she was entered. One being the dog the judge wouldnt want to take him Thinks its because she is a naked butt
Didnt bother us, she had no advantage over the cross breeds (clearly) and didnt do any better, we went for a day out, paid support and left. we didnt care, If she we didnt get placed. I could have easily brought a rossett and pertended If I was that deverstated and Im sure people do things like that.

Star or any of the others qualifed for crufts, shown at championship level are NOT better than any dog. Yes breed standard wise and the like, But as a pet dog in a fun dog show she is no better.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by weevle21 View Post
It's unfair that these people can have their own classes and then enter with us too and then use rosettes for 'waggiest tail' or 'fastest bonio eater' in order to gain a higher price on their pedigree pups.
What do you think?
ermm - Thats the funniest thing I've heard. You think people would take them seriously?
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2010, 03:12 PM
No idea how they will manage it but maybe it will be more like turning away the ones who come with a car full of show dogs and pull out their grooming tables etc

Very odd - tis like removing anyone who has a decent voice (whether professional singer or not) from X Factor ....

I find it sad that a group of people take it all so seriously they feel the need to exclude competition and poor charity that will miss out .... all that needs doing is a reminder to judges that it is a fun show and give everyone a fair shot ....

but all these people who object so strongly to being beaten etc - if they are so hot keen on showing - why don't they take it up properly.

Never heard anything so bizarre - objecting to people who love dogs shows, attending a dog show!
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2010, 03:15 PM
OK so what about when i entered my dog ina fun class and she was frightened of the judge and barked at her backing off.
One of the owners that had a less than well behaved dog piped up 'that dog should be entered in the 'dog the judge would most like to shoot'
You call this fun?
it's not about jealousy and there's no need to get personal. I don't mind if i win or not i always congratulate the winner. 'FUN' dog show remember
You met ONE rude person who could have been anyone .....
weevle21
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
You met ONE rude person who could have been anyone .....
She wasn't the only one, there was a group of them from the local village all joining in and it was quite upsetting and embarrasing.

I agree that it is a bit much and that the judges should just be reminded that it is a fun show and not championship standard judging but i would find it hard to do that.

Last year we went to a few and had so much fun but this year has really opened my eyes to how serious and bitchy some people get and i have been put off some (not because we're not winning cause we have had a few rosettes, but because of the ones who do the rounds and are really off and bitchy out loud about dogs that are excited and enjoying themselves)
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2010, 03:35 PM
She wasn't the only one, there was a group of them from the local village all joining in and it was quite upsetting and embarrasing.

I agree that it is a bit much and that the judges should just be reminded that it is a fun show and not championship standard judging but i would find it hard to do that.

Last year we went to a few and had so much fun but this year has really opened my eyes to how serious and bitchy some people get and i have been put off some (not because we're not winning cause we have had a few rosettes, but because of the ones who do the rounds and are really off and bitchy out loud about dogs that are excited and enjoying themselves)
Sorry you've had a bad experience but it still isnt fair to stop people with Pedigree dogs showing.
Would you want to ban cross breeds if the people showing these were nasty!!!
weevle21
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-07-2010, 03:36 PM
It's not my dog show, im nothing to do with it, i just got told by the bloke who was handing out the leaflets

They are not stopping pedigrees they are just makinga point that it is a FUN/Family dog show and not a KC show and that they are going to be (possibly) ignoring those that do all the real ringcraft stuff that comes with the more serious shows.
Like i say i don't know how they will do it just seeking peoples opinions on what we were told
Page 6 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >