Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bassetsforbrown
New Member!
Male 

28-10-2014, 08:38 PM

GPS tracker without a monthly fee?

Hi,

My Basset Hound escaped today, and during the two hours it took to find him I was constantly thinking about how much safer he'd be if I just had a GPS device on his collar. He has one of those injected microchips that can be scanned for contact info, but they do nothing to pin point his exact location.

Briefly looking online I found a few such products, however they are all in the $100-$200 range, with a roughly $10/month fee. This cannot possibly be the extent of pet GPS products on the market, can it? The idea of paying some company a monthly fee of ANY amount for the service is a joke, as you can install a tracker in a vehicle for only a base price.

Thanks for any input or help you can offer!
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-10-2014, 10:13 PM
From what I understand microchip is no proof of ownership, it only shows the owner, via papers issued linked to the chip, at the time of the chipping proceedure.
Bassetsforbrown
New Member!
Male 

28-10-2014, 10:36 PM
I'm not concerned with proving ownership, so much as I am in being able to go online and pin point the location of my Hound if he were to ever escape again.

If someone else found him and tried to claim that he was their dog, I'd be willing to take him back home barbarian style.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-10-2014, 11:47 PM
With you there all the way Bassetsforbrown, exactly my response if I had someone laying claim to one of mine. Sadly I cannot help with your original querry as I have little or no knowledge of GPS. Still I wish you every success with your quest.
tobythetoller
New Member!
Male 

29-10-2014, 09:19 AM
You might want to look at www.pawtrax.co.uk , although its a British company it looks like they ship to the U.S. Just make sure you can get a correct SIM card for it. It may not be the cheapest but there is no monthly fee.