register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: would you pay for an off lead walk for your dog while in kennels
Yes! everyday 17 47.22%
Yes every other day 5 13.89%
Only once or twice durin their stay 2 5.56%
No, not atall 12 33.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 06:03 PM
I've never ever put a dog in kennels and never would.

But hypothetically if I did, I'd expect my dogs to be walked as part of the overall cost and not to be charged extra for it.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
No I would not pay extra for my dogs to have an off lead walk in a enclosed paddock; I doubt mine would run around in it even if one were available as most dogs run WITH each other.

As I would NEVER want my dogs to run with ANY other dog the issue is a moot point. My dogs would just view it as a BIGGER kennel and run.

One of the reasons I put my dogs INTO kennels is so that I am 100% sure of their safety and cannot escape, get run over, be attacked by another dog.

They do not NEED exercise in the kennels as all the comings and goings and noise etc is tiring enough for them.

I know MANY boarding kennels owners and NONE of them exercise the dogs UNLESS they were specifically asked to and it would be an EXTRA charge.

If you think about it, count how many kennels there are, how many dogs, and how many staff and how many hours they are open.

For ALL dogs to be given a walk every day at kennels would mean a HUGE increase in prices as kennel staff are fully occupied cleaning kennels, receiving boarders, checking out boarders, feeding them etc etc

Also germs etc breed and are around a lot longer on grass than on concrete.
Well if your experience is the norm, this is the exact reason I'd never use a kennel! perhaps I'm a soft touch, but you couldn't pay me to shut my dogs in a kennel for an entire week or two with zero exercise...I'd rather not go on holiday!
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 06:26 PM
I wouldn't put Toby in a kennels if he didn't get at least some off-lead time each day. If I had to pay extra for that I would, but I would be more inclined to book a kennels where it was done as standard.

I would be interested in being able to use the field when my dog is not in kennels, and would be happy to pay a fee to hire a secure area for training etc.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Well if your experience is the norm, this is the exact reason I'd never use a kennel! perhaps I'm a soft touch, but you couldn't pay me to shut my dogs in a kennel for an entire week or two with zero exercise...I'd rather not go on holiday!

THat is your choice, 99% of the time mine are in kennels not because I am on holiday but because I am flying on business.

We are all different, you could not pay me to leave my dogs somewhere OTHER than a kennel.

Fortunately there are a variety of methods to suit everyone's taste (and everyone's dogs)!
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 07:50 PM
I'd expect my dogs to have some sort of exercise if kennelled them too, not fair to be stuck in a kennel/run without it imo. I have only kennelled my dogs once and that was only for one day and one night and they got walked, well thats what was said in the contract i signed and it was included in the price.
kita
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2011, 08:05 PM

They do not NEED exercise in the kennels as all the comings and goings and noise etc is tiring enough for them.

I would agree with that.

I have worked in kennels and non exercised the dogs to any degree.

The dogs had their night time kennel and an individual outside run.

I had my own giant breed dog with me, he normally (when not at kennels) had an hour long walk in the morning, a three hour walk in the afternoon and an evening walk of one hour (this was a minimum). When he was in the kennel 'run' he got three 15 mins walks a day and he was shattered!

Dogs in a kennel environment tend to spend the whole day awake and running around the run, checking on the workers coming and going and constantly on the alert to new dogs coming into runs alongside them, they are barking and generally busy all day.

Most people find their dogs will sleep lots when they return home from kennels, some people think the dog is sulking at having being left - but in reality it is just shattered.

My dog used to love being at the kennels and he was much leaner and fitter (because of the constant exercise), he also used to eat more because he needed the energy.

I think he also used to love being part of a 'pack' or 'community' of dogs - even though he did not actually mix with the other dogs, the fact that he could see them and bark at them/with them made him feel more natural.

To be honest I would not like kennels to exercise any dog of mine - I would be too scared that they would make a mistake and the dog would escape.

Sue
rossi roo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2011, 08:06 PM
we are very lucky rossi dosent have to go into kennels but if he did i would pay whatever to make his stay more plesant & normal for him
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by wallaroo View Post
I wouldn't put Toby in a kennels if he didn't get at least some off-lead time each day. If I had to pay extra for that I would, but I would be more inclined to book a kennels where it was done as standard.

I would be interested in being able to use the field when my dog is not in kennels, and would be happy to pay a fee to hire a secure area for training etc.
I agree entirely. A lot of Greyhound owners that I know pay to use fields for off-lead runs, so in that respect if could be an option. But if I was already paying for a boarding kennels, I'd expect my dog to get a run included.
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2011, 09:12 PM
No I would not pay extra for my dogs to have an off lead walk in a enclosed paddock; I doubt mine would run around in it even if one were available as most dogs run WITH each other.

As I would NEVER want my dogs to run with ANY other dog the issue is a moot point. My dogs would just view it as a BIGGER kennel and run.

One of the reasons I put my dogs INTO kennels is so that I am 100% sure of their safety and cannot escape, get run over, be attacked by another dog.

I know MANY boarding kennels owners and NONE of them exercise the dogs UNLESS they were specifically asked to and it would be an EXTRA charge.

If you think about it, count how many kennels there are, how many dogs, and how many staff and how many hours they are open.

For ALL dogs to be given a walk every day at kennels would mean a HUGE increase in prices as kennel staff are fully occupied cleaning kennels, receiving boarders, checking out boarders, feeding them etc etc

Also germs etc breed and are around a lot longer on grass than on concrete.
I worked in kennels and the dogs were walked at least twice a day. If they wouldn't toilet in their kennels or runs they were put on the 'extra walks' list and went out at least 3 times a day.

What would the people you know who run kennels do if the dogs in their care wouldn't toilet in their kennels or runs?

Why shouldn't a dog in a kennel get a walk? A lot of dogs go stir crazy in kennels because they aren't walked /enough/.

Kiba will never go in a kennel because of his SA but if he was staying with anyone I would expect them to walk him on lead and maybe off lead if I was sure it was an enclosed place he couldn't get out of.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Don't like the idea of leaving my dogs in kennels, especially now people are saying they don't get exercised. I take ours on holiday with us normally but when we didn't last year we got house and pet sitters in to keep to their normal routine which as Cherry is partly-sighted was the best option really (though not the cheapest!).

It's horses for courses though-some people have to leave their dogs in kennels-it's just not for me.
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »