Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
doglover10398
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-06-2018, 06:29 PM

What questions should i ask at the vet

so i am taking my dog too the vet next week to get a weight loss plan but what questions should i ask about it thanks for an help and info
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-06-2018, 11:41 AM
Has your dog not lost any weight in the 3 months since you asked for weight loss advice on here?

I would put money on your vet suggesting an expensive vet based diet or testing the dogs thyroid levels if it hasn't lost any weight (assuming you have restricted its diet and increased its exercise as suggested back in march)
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2018, 02:15 PM
I would advise not going to the vet - it is basic commonsense. You put in less than the dog puts out - simples!! And as with us, avoid the carbs - a raw meat and veg diet with raw meaty bones and NO refined carbs will do the trick.

Vets are in my opinion rather unknowledgeable about canine diet and will as already suggested plug the dried kibble that they sell and make money out of.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-06-2018, 04:57 PM
Is this the same dog who was trying to lose weight before?
Did you follow the advice to reduce intake and increase exercise?
Has he/she lost any weight in that time?
I do have to say in my experience vets are not particularly well informed regarding diet.
If the dog is now getting a reasonable amount of exercise on a regular basis then you may need to consider the reason is not food related. If it is food related it's a lot easier to deal with.
If you're still going to the vet then ask him what he thinks could be the cause and what tests would need to be done to verify it and what the cost of those tests are. You can then evaluate where you go from here.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2018, 11:19 PM
I have to agree about the vet thing. I went to a few different vets. They all recommended different things. One vet just said he would like the dog to lose weight. When I asked what I should do and explained... He merely said to KEEP TRYING. Eventually I gave up and resolved that my dog will just be a bit fat. My last dog was a bit skinny and so there it goes. This will be my last dog and he seems happy and he doesn't have any health issues at all so far (he is 6) and so I won't keep trying pointless diets and exercises that he doesn't like and refuses to do.
doglover10398
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-08-2018, 01:21 PM
thanks everyone. yes some vets are like that lots of them are one time i took my lab to a vet i never go to anymore and he said her weight was ok and he said he had an over weight dog his self and acted like it was ok but know i have found a vet that really cares about your pet and not the money it might a an hour drive to get there but she is the only good vet around and my lab is on a weight loss plan that is working she is due for a weigh in next week supper excited to see how much she has lost. thanks every one for all of your help
hippy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-08-2018, 09:10 PM
"at what rate should I be expecting my dog to lose weight?"

I made the mistake of expecting my dog to lose at the same rate as me....1-2 lbs a week. Nope! It is all relative to their size. I was disappointed with a loss of a few ounces in a month but the vet was pleased. It was going down. She only has 2.5/3kg to lose, so a few ounces was great. Since then she has lost another couple, so I think she might be at half a kilo. 4-5 months and we will be there! AND....she will get more exercise when the weather is cooler. In this heatwave we had to be careful.