View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tinglesnark
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-01-2011, 11:17 AM

Stupid, stupid man! Friend and his ill advised choice in breed...

A close friend of mine has never been a "doggy" person, she love them but doesn't particularly want one as she doesn't want to commit to walks etc so she has a cat. Sensible option for her. He OH has decided that he wants a pup, after seeing Delilah and how well behaved she is (of course she is - she is only 11 weeks old - plank!) He doesn't have experience of having his own dog so has done a fair bit of research (read - has googled a breed standard and glossed over the important bits) So he has decided to get.....

wait for it......

......you will NEVER guess.....

A Husky

Of course, the perfect breed for a man that works 6 days a week and doesn't arrive home until gone 7pm with a family that don't have time for it either...

He is, as you have probably guessed, the sort that pooh poohed the whole list of info that i passed on to him. Told me to mind my own when i explained about them being a pack animal and how he would struggle to make the dog happy considering the amount of time they spend at work. Not just that breed but any dog

I hate people like that, they refuse to listen to common sense because they are always right...

what a damn shame it will be when they do get one
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

05-01-2011, 11:29 AM
All I can say is that I feel for you. I'm left shaking my head at that....
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Next they'll be handing him over to a rescue because 'he jumps up' or because 'he has too much energy'. And I've heard worse.

Stand to attention Husky Rescue UK.

Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 12:18 PM
He wouldn't be my friend any more.
Shaking my head here too!!
Tinglesnark
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-01-2011, 12:23 PM
he isnt a friend, he is my best friends OH so kind of under sufferance when in my house haha!
Oh it gets worse, when i asked about how he would train his Husky he looked blank and said "it'll do as it's damn well told"
I just looked at him and changed the subject but did implore my friend NOT to allow it but you can't force people to listen to you can you? All you can do is offer advice, if it isn't heeded then what do you do?

Let us hope that it was just a rather silly man speaking a load of old tosh without any real intent behind it eh?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by Tinglesnark View Post
A close friend of mine has never been a "doggy" person, she love them but doesn't particularly want one as she doesn't want to commit to walks etc so she has a cat. Sensible option for her. He OH has decided that he wants a pup, after seeing Delilah and how well behaved she is (of course she is - she is only 11 weeks old - plank!) He doesn't have experience of having his own dog so has done a fair bit of research (read - has googled a breed standard and glossed over the important bits) So he has decided to get.....

wait for it......

......you will NEVER guess.....

A Husky

Of course, the perfect breed for a man that works 6 days a week and doesn't arrive home until gone 7pm with a family that don't have time for it either...

He is, as you have probably guessed, the sort that pooh poohed the whole list of info that i passed on to him. Told me to mind my own when i explained about them being a pack animal and how he would struggle to make the dog happy considering the amount of time they spend at work. Not just that breed but any dog

I hate people like that, they refuse to listen to common sense because they are always right...

what a damn shame it will be when they do get one

O no! My heart was in my mouth as I read your story, guessing that the dog of choice was going to either be a Husky or a Mal. How stupid, selfish and thoughtless can some people be. I really hope the poor dog eats his house and garden whilst it is left home alone all day ... the quicker the better, so that the idiot is forced to rehome it, hopefully to a suitable home this time.

Yet another beautiful dog doomed to end up in misery because of human ignorance and downright stupidity

Let's hope that the breeder is ethical enough to refuse to sell a pup to him, assuming he tells the truth of course.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by Tinglesnark View Post
he isnt a friend, he is my best friends OH so kind of under sufferance when in my house haha!
Oh it gets worse, when i asked about how he would train his Husky he looked blank and said "it'll do as it's damn well told"
I just looked at him and changed the subject but did implore my friend NOT to allow it but you can't force people to listen to you can you? All you can do is offer advice, if it isn't heeded then what do you do?

Let us hope that it was just a rather silly man speaking a load of old tosh without any real intent behind it eh?

O heck, it gets worse! I've yet to meet ANY husky who does what it's told!! More like does what he or she pleases, with a great reluctance to do anything his or her owner may wish! I sincerely hope he isn't physically aggressive, sounds like he might be
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 12:35 PM
[QUOTE=Gnasher;2137769]O no! My heart was in my mouth as I read your story, guessing that the dog of choice was going to either be a Husky or a Mal. How stupid, selfish and thoughtless can some people be. I really hope the poor dog eats his house and garden whilst it is left home alone all day ... the quicker the better, so that the idiot is forced to rehome it, hopefully to a suitable home this time.

Yet another beautiful dog doomed to end up in misery because of human ignorance and downright stupidity

Let's hope that the breeder is ethical enough to refuse to sell a pup to him, assuming he tells the truth of course.[/QUOTE]

That's what I was going to say! Let's hope he goes to a decent breeder who will refuse to sell him a pup. I would really hope that ethical & caring breeders of these type of dogs would not allow a first time dog owner who works full time & whose family isn't really into dogs, & who have a cat as well, definitely WON'T let him have a husky.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Gosh I wish all dogs would do as they were told without being trained They come out that way...

Plank!
Tinglesnark
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-01-2011, 12:39 PM
I dont think that he will actually get the dog - i'm praying that he doesn't, he likes his drink rather too much and is quite rough with his language which is shocking considering that my friend is very well spoken and well mannered etc. She is in the process of leaving him but keeps changing her mind as there is a child involved. It is all very involved but even MORE reason NOT to get any sort of dog! The daughter adores animals but has always come to me for her doggy fix.

This is why i stand by a pet education scheme! really it should be essential, in this day and age!

Oh dear, i have a feeling that this threqd will cause upset - i am so sorry, it wasn't intended to spark a riot i am just so incredibly frusatrated that this man just let my advice wash over him as though i was talking rubbish.

Nothing worse than a know it all, even worse when they think they know it all over children and animals when they clearly do not...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »