Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 08:29 PM

Sudden change in appetite (GSD)

Well Duke is normally quite a fussy dog and will sometimes leave his food and even refuse certain treats...well not anymore, hes been eating every meal going mad for treats and even trying to go in the bin! ive recently wormed him with drontal, shoud i worry or could he have just changed
thanks
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 09:27 PM
What age is he?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Hi Kirsty any change in behaviour really shouldn't be ignored. I guess Duke isn't a puppy and you haven't changed his food or increased his exercise recently.

I would have Duke checked by the vet, a sudden ravenous appetite can be one of the first signs of diabetes.
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
What age is he?
hes just turned 5years

Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Kirsty any change in behaviour really shouldn't be ignored. I guess Duke isn't a puppy and you haven't changed his food or increased his exercise recently.

I would have Duke checked by the vet, a sudden ravenous appetite can be one of the first signs of diabetes.
i havn't changed food and i'd say hes been having abit more exercise than normal as it hasn't been too hot for him the past couple of weeks. i woudln't say hes ravenous with his main meals but definately more keen than he normally is!
would there be any other signs of diabeties?
thanks
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-08-2010, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by kirsty_ View Post
hes just turned 5years

i havn't changed food and i'd say hes been having abit more exercise than normal as it hasn't been too hot for him the past couple of weeks. i woudln't say hes ravenous with his main meals but definately more keen than he normally is!
would there be any other signs of diabeties?
thanks
Hi Kirsty yes there could be other signs like an increase in thirst and urination also weight loss.

There are other medical conditions which affect the appetite too though Duke may just be a little more hungry that usual. I would certainly have a check up with the vet just as a precaution
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2010, 06:37 AM
Is he on any medication?
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Is he on any medication?
no hes not on any medication
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2010, 07:57 AM
In that case I`d ask the vet to check him over. I hope he`s back to his old self soon.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2010, 11:14 AM
I'd be worried about worms quite honesty, that makes them more hungry, but then you've just done the Drontal I can only tell you that the same thing has happened here, Zena is quite ravenous at mealtimes, especially in the evenings, but I've put that down to more exercise (now that I'm on that bike and she has to trot the whole way!). I'd be a lot more worried if she was off her food like I've had in the past. You never know, maybe he was worm burdoned before, and that can make them feel sick sometimes can't it, so now that you've got rid of them, he's got some catching up to do, I hope so!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2010, 07:34 AM
Like Helena, I would be more worried if he was off his food, rather than hungrier. However, if this is out of character then I would certainly keep an eye on his water intake and also his weight, as well as his general energy levels etc. If any of the other things are giving you cause for concern then I would pop him along to the vet for a quick check up.

Hope he is ok.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >