View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
New2Dogz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-03-2010, 07:11 PM

Introducing our cat to our puppy - any tips?

We are due to be bringing home our JR pup at the end of this week and I'm already a little nervous about the way that our 15-year-old cat, Sooty, is going to react. He has always been very vicious towards dogs, not retreating but actively seeking to give them a scratch on the nose!

Following something I read in a book, I have bought some catnip powder (not spray) to put on the back of the puppy - apparently this is harmless for the puppy but will encourage Sooty to have positive feelings towards her. We have also got a crate for our puppy so she will have a safe refuge when necessary!

Our cat is actually a softie towards the family . . . but not towards dogs. If anyone has experienced this predicament before, I would love to hear from you or if you just have any tips or suggestions for us.
spaznchevy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-03-2010, 10:51 AM
yes we had a older cat that was the same way.... we just slowly introdiced them together didnt leave them alone...alot of the times if the cat is bigger and its just a little puppy alot of cases the cat will know that the puppy is defenceless and means no harm and by then when the puppy gets bigger they will get used to eachother ...our cat hated dogs until we brought home a puppy then she thought it was her baby!!

If you need anything or got any question let me know i'll be glad to try and help
New2Dogz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Thanks for that - appreciate your advice. I've learned on Catsey not to try the catnip - well, not on the puppy anyway! Sooty will be bigger than Millie so I'm hoping he will be fine - I've got a crate to protect the pup and the upstairs will be the cat's domain too so hopefully it will all work out. I'll let you know how they get on when they meet at the end of the week.
Tx
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2010, 09:59 PM
OMG glad to hear you will not be using the catnip on the puppy, it can cause "highs"in cats as it contains Nepetalactone which is an hallucinogenic !

Make sure that your cat can escape upwards & don't leave the puppy unsupervised with the cat at all. Crate the puppy when you are not around or keep the cat out of the room where the puppy is if you are not around.

My cats are totally dog proofed as I brought them up as kittens in the reverse way(crating the kittens when I wasn't around)& my cats either play with the dogs or totally ignore them ! They do have a place thet the dogs have no access to both inside & outside the house.

I have a friend who has a JRT & a cat & they are the best of mates & if they get told off for excessive playing, it's always the cat who starts again !
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2010, 10:11 PM
hi
good advise already
i just wanted to add...it can be done,but it really does depend on the cat.
my cat adored his pack of sibes (my lurcher and collie were terrified of him )
and our work cat spends his day with 6 dogs,but also thinks he is one im sure
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2010, 10:24 PM
here is my jrt with my cats. i followed the same advice that has been given although my cats already lived with another dog, they had never met a puppy. especially the tortie who is 10 and doesn't like anyone very much! 3rd photo down is tabitha the unsociable tortie and lily. it still amazes me that those two are such good buddies but i can't argue with the proof!

ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2010, 10:26 PM
if your cat is an out door cat keep her in for a few days, dont push them together, leave the pup in the cage and allow your cat to 'find' him. your cat may turn on you for a while, mine did that when I brought any new animal in the house. She actually tuned on me too. Your cat needs to put the pup in its place
ATD x