View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Me and my wife to be would love nothing more than to have our own little bit of land for a couple of horses, some chickens etc grow our own veggies be able to have another doggie or two....maybe one day!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

21-02-2010, 05:06 PM
I wouldn't want to do it as a 'job' tho - don't think I could cope with all the hard work

Would be nice if there was a small farm with a fast broadband connection going cheap somewhere
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 05:13 PM
I'd love to run a livery or dog kennels
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 05:20 PM
That's why we went for a 'normal' house with extra land... can't afford to farm as a day job, so we searched for, and found, a house with about 1/3 of an acre. Not large enough for sheeps/cows/pigs, but plenty of land for growing enough for us, for chickens and the dogs

It's not quite large enough to be a small-holding, it's more a mini-holding!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

21-02-2010, 05:29 PM
I thought it would be cheaper to get a small farm - than a house with lots of land (as most people would want that - pushing the prices up). Hence thinking about looking for a cheap farm
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-02-2010, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I've never really like the idea of renting Mini - always thought it was a bit of a waste :- /
I agree, for £520 a month you'd need to be running a business and a smallholding that size would be hard IMO to cover the rent, just my opinion but a quick back of a fag packet caculation tells me so.

Pity 'cos the area around Carmarthen is nice and I have looked at properties there in the past year and will be again next month.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-02-2010, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I thought it would be cheaper to get a small farm - than a house with lots of land (as most people would want that - pushing the prices up). Hence thinking about looking for a cheap farm
A lot of small farmers are chucking it in 'cos they can't make a living so there will be places come on the market but you need 'inside' information 'cos the property developers and estate agents will be in there before anyone not 'in the trade' can get a look in and with a quick bit of decoration and such it will go to a mug punter for x2 or even x3 what they paid the poor farmer.

To be honest Azz it might be worth investing in a classified ad in Farmers Weekly or some similar magazine, run it for at least 12 months and make sure you're ready to move quickly when something that suits you comes up.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 06:06 PM
What a shame you dont fancy a place in Scotland, this one sounds like a bargain and Banffshire is a beautiful part of the country.

http://www.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction.../df609d55.html
Azz
Administrator
Male 

21-02-2010, 06:11 PM
I think Scotland is beautiful... but just so cold

Ideally I would want to live as further south as possible maybe even southern France or Spain
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 06:12 PM
But that is why they invented jumpers, you would soon toughen up
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >