View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Oh WOW, look at him!!! Are you SURE this is Pippin???? Hats off to you, you've done a brilliant job there, poor little fella, what he must have gone through before he landed on your yard!

Re: the putting him out, I'm sure you know what you're doing, but just wanted to say, my horse was the same on his own, if you took his mate away from his field he would go ballistic even if he COULD see other horses. He was sort of ok if there was a horse right next to his fence that he could still chat to. Having said that, however, I could actually PUT him out in a field on his own no worries, so whatever you do, try that one first, but don't attempt to put him somewhere, where the other horse would be taken out to be ridden or something, but I'm sure you know all that!!! I'd hate for him to do what my own horse did one day, jumped a wire fence (they "forgot" to put the white tape along the top!!!!!! ) clipped the top edge coz of course he couldn't see it, flipped over, landed on a flint which ripped his side open, and landed on his muzzle, causing untold damage on the underside with blood gushing out!! Not a pleasant sight for me to have to arrive at the field!!! As you well know, they can do the stupidest of things when left all alone!

All the best with your continued progress with dear Pippin, he just looks amazing now!! I do love these little Welshies!!! You would never have thought he WAS one before though would you!!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Oh WOW would you look at him now! He looks amazing what a credit to you and everyone involved, what a wonderful job on his feet they look great now! I can't believe the difference already, what a lucky lucky lad! Made my day.
Angel44
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-11-2008, 08:18 PM
I've only just seen this thread and I'm absolutely amazed at the incredible improvement in Pippin's feet and condition. As owner of a lamanitic pony I know just how difficult it is to keep them sound and healthy. Well done for such an amazing job He really has landed with his bum in the butter, lucky little boy

With regards to the feet growing up like that, when a horse gets laminitis one of the bones in the feet (pedal bone) rotates. This is why they are in so much pain and also why the feet start curling up. The horse will walk on it's heel to try to alleviate the pain and pressure on the toe area and sole of the foot. Because the heel is on the ground and the toe is in the air, the foot will start growing that way resulting in a curled up toe Therefore a normal healthy horse would be able to go for longer periods without a trim as they walk normally and the foot remains in the correct shape
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2008, 08:28 PM
I can't remember a thread I've enjoyed reading more than this one - just sorry I've only spotted it now.

What a fantastic thing you have done (and massive pat on the back to your farrier for doing all that work for free, there are some lovely people left in the world thank goodness!).

It is truly amazing to see the difference in those updated photos, his feet especially so, what a difference! He looks much healthier and you can definitely see he's put weight on.

Massive congrats to you for all this hard work, you are a STAR - it really warmed my heart reading this
halfpenny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Hi, I haven't been on for a while, but just thought I would give you an update on Pippin.
He is going out on a fairly regular basis, I don't put him out if the weather is very bad or if Mike is away as it takes 2 to catch him.
He is being put into the sand school at the moment to stop his feet being exposed to the mud or any sharp stones.
The first day he went out it took us an hour to catch him, but he eventually gave in, since then his doesn't take long to catch, but you need 2 people, one to walk into the corner he is at and the other to wait at the gate. As you go into the corner, he trots off to the person at the gate, waits a few seconds and then gives in for a piece of carrot. If you are on you own, he won't come to you at all.
He has had his feet x-rayed and the are not as bad as the vets had thought they would be, there is rotation and the pedal bone has dropped, but it could have been a lot worse.
The farrier is going up this week to see them and I think he is planning to try cytek shoes on him, the fronts at least.
We also got bloods taken as he has some fat pads around his eyes and pees a lot, so we are checking for liver damage and pre cushings, just in case.
Anyway, here is a wee video(I hope) of Pippin on his first day out, excuse my high voice but I was trying to keep it light when I was getting very frustrated, a pet hate of mine is a horse who won't catch.

Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Oh wow look at him! I've loved this thread and Pippin is looking fab! Moving really well!!

I know nothing about horses but you've clearly done so, so well with him!

Even if he still won't catch If at first you don't succeed...

Well done you!
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2009, 04:09 PM
He's looking great!

Got to mention... You said in an earlier post that his feet hadn't been done for 16 weeks... I'd say more like 16 MONTHS! Or more - probably more. My horses go 10-12 weeks between trims and their feet have hardly even started to look long. That was a LOT of growth on his poor feet. Shame on his owners, elderly or not!!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2009, 09:10 PM
He looks fab! What a wee imp but such a happy one! Well done to you, hope the bloods come back ok.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Wow, been following Pippin's progress for a while now, he is looking fantastic. His feet look so neat and dainty compared to the way he was when you first got him. He has clearly come on in leaps and bounds so well done for all your love, care and attention with him. What a lovely wee man.

Congratulations and well bloody done! Seriously! Well done, he looks fantastic.
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2009, 12:10 AM
Good to see Pippin looking so well, he's almost showing off for us in that vid. well done what a wonderful job you have done, thank you for keeping us updated.

He really does look like a different pony.
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >