Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2009, 04:58 PM

Methods to Stop A Dog Chasing

The OH has decided he wants to stop his GSP chasing. When I first met him, a little over a year ago, she didnt chase and would stop on the whistle and recall ok. Now, because he has left her to her own devices, she basically sticks 2 fingers up to him and wont listen to the whistle. Her hunting is out of control and it's becoming an issue, especially during the hunting season, nobody likes a dog chasing their game!

The way I see it, he has 2 options:
A) use a long line and check her when she starts to chase
B) use a remote shock/spray collar

Now, I know for a fact he wont go for the long line, it's too much hassle for him (he doesnt like putting in the effort, hence why she out of control) and he's all up for the ecollar. The trouble with the ecollar is that 99% of the time, Millie is totally out of sight, it's not unusual for her to be half a mile away (no exaggeration!) I've also explained to him that his timing has got to be spot on, he doesnt want his dog associating the shock/spray with something totally different or to put her off hunting altogether.

Basically, i'm trying to talk him out of the collar route. I know trying to control a dog that is at a distance is nigh on impossible and I cant think of any other way than those 2 above.

I just wondered if any of you had any other ideas to throw at me? Has anybody got any other suggestions that might work?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2009, 05:13 PM
I would retrain using a different whistle. My GSPs (even the terminally dim Shamus) have all had brilliant whistle recall but I do work at it, recalling them and treating / rewarding every time we go out.
I don`t see how a spray or any other remote would make the GSP return. It would surely just punish them for whatever they`re doing at the time - which may well be something you want them to do - like point. And they are very sensitive dogs - I really wouldn`t punish one, personally. They are people-centred dogs. Playing with them is the best way to motivate them, I`ve found.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Hmmm, never thought about trying a different whistle. We both have the same pitch Acme gundog whistles and when he blows for Millie, he gets Flynn and not his own dog so it could be beneficial in more ways than one.

Part of the reason Millie has gotten so bad is because my OH doesnt interact with her. He never plays with her (all toys are completely new and unused!), never even strokes her so there is no reason for her to be around him, hence why she is so fixated on hunting, because its the only thing she has to entertain her.

Sometimes I try and engage her along with my own dogs but she's like a fish out of water, doesnt have a clue how to interact on the same level my own dogs do. The OH commented the other day about how much attention my dogs pay me and I explained to him it because I do stuff with them when we are out, make myself interesting.

I think, because he's a falconer and his dogs have always been workers (Millie is only a pet, never worked), he thinks playing with them, talking to them etc is a little bit silly and perhaps doesnt want to lose face with his mates.

I agree though that he needs to make himself a good place for Millie to be so she has more to focus on than chasing rabbits, hares etc.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2009, 05:40 PM
David Ryan's book has a structured training method for stopping dogs chasing:

http://www.dog-secrets.co.uk/how-to-...asing-in-dogs/
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2009, 09:36 PM
There are no quick fixes. Your OH needs to interact with his dog and brush up on her training. As you know GSPs are wilful, intelligent dogs that will exploit an opportunity to do their own thing.

Can we see a picture of Millie? I think you posted one before and she's gorgeous!!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2009, 07:33 AM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post

Part of the reason Millie has gotten so bad is because my OH doesnt interact with her. He never plays with her (all toys are completely new and unused!), never even strokes her so there is no reason for her to be around him, hence why she is so fixated on hunting, because its the only thing she has to entertain her.

I think, because he's a falconer and his dogs have always been workers (Millie is only a pet, never worked), he thinks playing with them, talking to them etc is a little bit silly and perhaps doesnt want to lose face with his mates.

I agree though that he needs to make himself a good place for Millie to be so she has more to focus on than chasing rabbits, hares etc.
You've certainly hit the nail on the head there. Is it possible for you to explain nicely that it's his fault that Millie is running off hunting? because he's not paying her any attention? So therefore, using a shock collar is not a fair thing to do - he should be prepared to put in the work

It's difficult when people are in a very traditional environment, I can appreciate that. But most good working dog people do seem to have a good relationship with their dog, whereas your OH doesn't seem to have much of a relationship at all? would you agree?

If the worst comes to it, and he does use a shock collar, try to ensure he uses it so that Millie can at least understand what he is doing. Otherwise there is a strong possibility of her bolting esp. as she is so far away when she ranges.

This may be useful to show him:
http://www.apbc.org.uk/sites/default...nsultation.pdf if you scroll down to the Appendix, there are some case histories where electric collars have caused problems.

Also here: http://www.dog-secrets.co.uk/negativ...-shock-collar/

There is also info on the same site about how dogs learn, relationships etc which may also come in very handy! It's the same site Merlin's Mum has linked to
Wys
x
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2009, 05:58 PM
Its unbelievable to see the various problems shock collars are used for. Flynn pulls on a lead something terrible (re the 2 springers) but I wouldnt dream of using a shock collar for that. I do own a citronella spray collar for barking and it sprays automatically. It hasnt worked and it ended up making him fearful of going in his car crate so I stopped using it.

Ive told the OH countless times the reasons Millie is the way she is. He nods his head and agrees but never changes his approach. His previous dogs were all used with birds of prey and didnt chase so it's simple laziness.

Thanks for the links too, might invest in that book as my own dogs do chase rabbits etc but not quite to the extent Millie does because they arent obsessed with hunting so dont find every critter within 1 mile on a walk!

Here is Millie (notice the grey jowls? She's only 2 and going grey at a rate of knots!)
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Millie is a very beautiful girl grey jowls or not!
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
Millie is a very beautiful girl grey jowls or not!
And grey jowls are a feature of some breeds, right, Wysi?
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
And grey jowls are a feature of some breeds, right, Wysi?

My 19 month year old solid black GSP is starting to go grey around the face already. It looks distinguished!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >