register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Stormey is offline  
Location: Manchester
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 8,479
Male 
 
03-11-2008, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I totally disagree, given that in the not too distant past women died to allow women the right to vote (I'm certainly not talking about forcing people to vote), but to choose not to is very disrespectful to them imo. Democracy is a very important thing and I think it's vital to remember how lucky we are that we're allowed to choose in the first place. Being complacent, by choosing not to vote, can lead very quickly down the slippery slope to dictatorship, if you don't bother to choose, then someone else most certainly will and I for one don't want to live that scenario out! Although some poor souls in this world already are.
But women now have the right to vote if they want, or not, that has got to be better than not having that right at all?

We are lucky to choose and I also think that should extend to voting or not. I dont see it being a slippery slope as there will always be the die-hard members and supporters of both partys that will outnumber voters for crap like the bnp, however if people were required to vote that is a chance(if they felt the major partys were not viable) they would mark the ballot for someone like the bnp thus increasing their vote(hope you follow me) and for me that would be alot worse than people not voting.
Reply With Quote
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Ripsnorterthe2nd is offline  
Location: Co. Durham, UK
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 11,213
Female 
 
03-11-2008, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
But women now have the right to vote if they want, or not, that has got to be better than not having that right at all?

We are lucky to choose and I also think that should extend to voting or not. I dont see it being a slippery slope as there will always be the die-hard members and supporters of both partys that will outnumber voters for crap like the bnp, however if people were required to vote that is a chance(if they felt the major partys were not viable) they would mark the ballot for someone like the bnp thus increasing their vote(hope you follow me) and for me that would be alot worse than people not voting.
I feel you're missing the point mate, yes we all have the right to vote now, but what do you think would happen if everyone was complacent. Hypothetical yes, but think about it. It's the principle for me more than anything, imagine what someone from a dictatorship country would say to you if you told them you couldn't be bothered to vote, I'm pretty sure they'd be horrified. Some people on this Earth would give anything to be allowed the right and freedom to choose, living in a democratic society is a privilege and I'm going to vote come hell or high water to make sure Britain stays that way.
Reply With Quote
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Stormey is offline  
Location: Manchester
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 8,479
Male 
 
03-11-2008, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I feel you're missing the point mate, yes we all have the right to vote now, but what do you think would happen if everyone was complacent. Hypothetical yes, but think about it. It's the principle for me more than anything, imagine what someone from a dictatorship country would say to you if you told them you couldn't be bothered to vote, I'm pretty sure they'd be horrified. Some people on this Earth would give anything to be allowed the right and freedom to choose, living in a democratic society is a privilege and I'm going to vote come hell or high water to make sure Britain stays that way.
It is Hypothetical because like I said you will always have the die-hard voters who will always vote(like yourself, even me, I have always voted)and I would much rarther people did not vote than vote for someone as they cant choose of feel the main partys offer nothing and have someone like the bnp gain a foothold.

I feel there will be a minor party do well next time round as the main two imo dont offer much.
Reply With Quote
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Ripsnorterthe2nd is offline  
Location: Co. Durham, UK
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 11,213
Female 
 
03-11-2008, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
It is Hypothetical because like I said you will always have the die-hard voters who will always vote(like yourself, even me, I have always voted)and I would much rarther people did not vote than vote for someone as they cant choose of feel the main partys offer nothing and have someone like the bnp gain a foothold.

I feel there will be a minor party do well next time round as the main two imo dont offer much.
But nine times out of ten there will be someone out there who you feel you can vote for, it's a very poor minded person who uses that excuse every single time. I would far rather that people bothered to look into it a little and vote for the party that best met their opinions, than not bother at all.
Reply With Quote
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Stormey is offline  
Location: Manchester
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 8,479
Male 
 
04-11-2008, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
But nine times out of ten there will be someone out there who you feel you can vote for, it's a very poor minded person who uses that excuse every single time. I would far rather that people bothered to look into it a little and vote for the party that best met their opinions, than not bother at all.
I take your point, and I am bowing out there as I really cant stand politics.
Reply With Quote
Losos
Dogsey Veteran
Losos is offline  
Location: Suffolk, England
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,072
Male  Silver Supporter 
 
04-11-2008, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Some people on this Earth would give anything to be allowed the right and freedom to choose, living in a democratic society is a privilege and I'm going to vote come hell or high water to make sure Britain stays that way.
Well said Emma

I am temporarily living in a country where in 1948 the people were still trying to sort themselves out from the horror of WWII and when the elections were held large numbers of people didn't vote, the communists got a slender majority on a 40% turnout, and for the next 41 years no one had any say in government, 'mock' elections were held where the choice was Comunist Party or the Comunist Party, and life was hell for everyone except those party members who of course arranged that all the food and goods that were not available for the people went to them.

I could write pages on this, but the bottom line is that if apathy takes over in the UK the BNP or the COMUNISTS or any such party could get power, and once in power change the law so that they stay in.
Reply With Quote
Gellygoo
Dogsey Veteran
Gellygoo is offline  
Location: Leeds West Yorkshire UK
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,792
Female 
 
04-11-2008, 09:18 AM
I have to say that I will always use my vote as it was hard won in the past for us girls.
BUT I think I would be worried if everyone was forced to use their vote that we would be back in the 18th century with the potwalloper boroughs, where the rich people bought the votes of the poorer ones who weren't fussed for using theirs. That way we would end up with a one party system more or less...the one for the well to do!

I have to say that the very first time I voted, my grandad went with me...he was a chap born in 1896 who worked in the pit at 13! He fought to set unions up and lost many jobs because of this....anyways, when we went to vote, he actually came in the booth with me AND showed me where to put my cross!!!! Good job I agreed with him cos all hell would have broken out if I had voted for someone else.
Reply With Quote
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Stormey is offline  
Location: Manchester
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 8,479
Male 
 
04-11-2008, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Well said Emma

I am temporarily living in a country where in 1948 the people were still trying to sort themselves out from the horror of WWII and when the elections were held large numbers of people didn't vote, the communists got a slender majority on a 40% turnout, and for the next 41 years no one had any say in government, 'mock' elections were held where the choice was Comunist Party or the Comunist Party, and life was hell for everyone except those party members who of course arranged that all the food and goods that were not available for the people went to them.

I could write pages on this, but the bottom line is that if apathy takes over in the UK the BNP or the COMUNISTS or any such party could get power, and once in power change the law so that they stay in.
But that is a big risk if people have to vote, If they feel their cannot vote for a main party they are more likely to mark any random party thus giving them a vote which they would not have got if the person didnt vote.

I do take your point that if apathy takes over it could happen also, but if that is such a fear for those in power then maybe they should work on improving things in the country so people will get out and vote, instead of debating whether or no Ross and Brand should be sacked, coming up with daft ideas such as "the winter lights festivel" arguing in a childish manner in the commons, many times would make schoolkids feel adult. What I am trying to say is make politics something people want to take an interest in.
Reply With Quote
Gellygoo
Dogsey Veteran
Gellygoo is offline  
Location: Leeds West Yorkshire UK
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,792
Female 
 
04-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Perhaps a lot of people think that they dont know enough about politics.
When I was at school, we could take economic and public affairs as a top up "O" level when you were doing your "A"'s. I dont know if this is still offered in school. Also we were expected to debate stuff like this all the time, but now with the lessons in schools being so prescriptive,kids dont get a chance maybe to form knowledgable opinions through debate.
Reply With Quote
Losos
Dogsey Veteran
Losos is offline  
Location: Suffolk, England
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,072
Male  Silver Supporter 
 
04-11-2008, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
What I am trying to say is make politics something people want to take an interest in.
Well I think most people would agree with that one Stormey, but how to do it

There's such a lot of 'dumming down' in the media, and every news reporter knows that you can't do an interview with anyone for longer than about five minutes or the audience will go glassy eyed and nod off, it all has to be 'sound bites' or summit.

Any ideas on how to 'educate the masses' Stormey
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top