Dog News

Ofcom rules on BBC's pedigree dog expose

...has received 40 comments (page 4)
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
There have always been unregistered dogs (whether they are tested is not a function of registration).

That some people are making claims about their unregistered pups does not translate as a "huge increase" in their numbers.
It certainly does, look how many "staffies" there are now, mainly unregistered, and a lot use the unreg bit as a ploy for what they actually are. We are seeing a LOT of "designer" crossbreeds and "types" that are sold "healthy" as they are not KC registered!
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
It certainly does, look how many "staffies" there are now, mainly unregistered, and a lot use the unreg bit as a ploy for what they actually are.
my emphasis

Sorry I don't understand. Can you clarify?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Frankly PDE has been vindicated (again).

Having had 90%+ of the complaints against them judged to be baseless the KC has come across as whinging, weasel-worded whiners.

They haven't come clean on how much they've wasted on legal fees and costs in this failed attempt to wriggle of the hook but it is doubtless a staggering sum - that could have been invested in health programmes.
I'm still waiting for my complaint to be replied to from the BBC Trust !
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2009, 04:54 PM
If you view certain Internet puppy selling sites, you will see litter after litter of pedigree dogs with the wording that because they are not KC registered they are healthier & not inbred. The advertisers however upon questioning do either GP vet only tests or no tests only done. Several have told me that unregistered BCs don't have any health problems & the SM, MVD & HC is only seen in KC registered dogs-didn't I see the TV program-in which the Cavalier bitch with symptomatic SM was in fact multi generation non KC registered dogs !

Again Jemima Puddleduck knew this(& the Boxer was from brother sister mating of unregistered dogs)but it would not have made such a sensational impact if this had been admitted !!!! & she has posted this on another forum !
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-12-2009, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
If you view certain Internet puppy selling sites, you will see litter after litter of pedigree dogs with the wording that because they are not KC registered they are healthier & not inbred. The advertisers however upon questioning do either GP vet only tests or no tests only done. Several have told me that unregistered BCs don't have any health problems & the SM, MVD & HC is only seen in KC registered dogs-didn't I see the TV program-in which the Cavalier bitch with symptomatic SM was in fact multi generation non KC registered dogs !
The fact that sellers are misrepresenting the programme to add to their sales spiel doesn't mean that there are more sellers.

Some low quality commercial breeders have moved from poor quality pedigree dog production to equally low quality mixed-breed production but that doesn't actually mean more dogs are being produced or that those being produced are of lower quality than before.

We do know that the KC will now not register father/daughter, mother/son or full sibling matings since PDE was shown.

Verifiable gain > speculative cost
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2009, 05:42 PM
my emphasis

Sorry I don't understand. Can you clarify?
For example. We have had clients claim their oversized bucket headed Staffords are healthy and unregistered and bigger cos they are healthier! They clearly are not Staffords. We have also had several "Irish" Staffies of late, with a couple owners saying the Irish ones are not KC registered and again, are healthy which is why they are shaped the way they are.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-12-2009, 05:51 PM
There were plenty of staffy crosses around before PDE was aired. Staffs didn't even feature on the programme and, if people are misrepresenting the programme, that is not something the makers can be called into account for.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2009, 06:04 PM
There were plenty of staffy crosses around before PDE was aired. Staffs didn't even feature on the programme and, if people are misrepresenting the programme, that is not something the makers can be called into account for.
Neither can the KC! Most folk seem to blame them though!
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Can't speak for 'most folk' but I've only ever criticised the Kennel Club when its policies and actions have contradicted its own declared objective "'to promote in every way, the general improvement of dogs".

The KC styles itself as the guardians of British Dog-dom. Perhaps if it did as it promised and acted in the interests of dogs instead of in the interests of itself, and a select core of its members, it wouldn't get so much flak.

Just a thought.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon

But for some, its so much easier to blame the KC for all dog related issues.

Yes, plenty of Staffie crosses, along with numerous crossbreeds, and unregistered pedigrees, they were there before and are there now, in that nothing has changed.

The benifit in their favour the programme gave them is an opening to promote their breedign practices as "healthier" than KC registered dogs, because the programme gave them a bandwagon to jump on, and oh have they done so with gusto.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top