View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2014, 08:29 AM
That's a bit harsh jakes mummy. Kingpitbull is entitled to her opinions and she has aired them in a polite way despite hostility from most people. To me that's bullying, and I thought dogsey no longer tolerated such behaviour. I for one have found kingpitbull's thought-provoking comments interesting, if naive and certainly nowhere near my own thoughts and philosophies. However as a total animal lover she has made me think and question my morality. So cut her some slack - clearly she is very young with a lot to learn but she is entitled to her opinions, if naive.
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-11-2014, 10:50 AM
I don't think it's harsh at all . I feel I'm being told that if I eat meat I don't love my pets which I do.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2014, 07:26 PM
You feel that ... It is not factual, she has not actually come out and said that. Whereas I do not agree with much that she says, she has raised some interesting issues - cut a young, naive, idealistic person some slack - I don't know how old you are, but I'm 61 but can remember what I was like when young - if only I could be 18 again with what I know now!,
Wolfwitch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Aside from the motivation behind the post or the age of the poster, it was made under the presupposition that

A) dog lover = animal lover
B) eating meat = animal cruelty

I don't think anyone, regardless of their age, could be so naive as to think that a statement like that on a forum like this would not illicit a strong reaction.
Even if the intent was to "troll" it is still an interesting discussion topic with many pro and con arguments, but I agree with Vicky that I could have done without the moral judgement slapped all over this post.

"Funny how lots of you think that if meat is ok for your dog, its ok for you.

I don't think that is a very common sense reason to eat meat. "

Kudos to you for wanting to change the world KingPit and I agree to the extend that I feel we have a responsibility as human beings to take care of this planet and the creatures co-inhabiting it with us, but I don't think abolishing the consumption of meat is the way to go.
There are many many implications to either choice and it's not a black and white subject matter.

What about the deforrestation that is happening everywhere to make room for the ever increasing human population and increasing demands for farm land? How many animals have lost their lives because their home is now a corn/wheat/<insert vegetarian approved substance> field?
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-11-2014, 06:46 PM
Another interesting consideration regarding our pets and animal protein...There was a series that dealt with what would happen to the world if people suddenly ceased to exist. One program talked about domesticated pets.

In the wild dogs are omnivores. However through being domesticated many have become lousy hunters. Without humans dogs that were able to get outside and organize packs would perhaps survive.

I know Callie would join a pack. If his tummy was empty he would be willing to take down a buffalo by himself. Sophie is finicky, fearful, and dog aggressive. She would wander off alone and starve to death hunting down a bag of kibble.

But cats are perfect carnivores. While I have several that couldn't catch a dust bunny, there are also several of them that regularly leave birds, rodents and other remains around the yard. A wolf or dog can survive on weeds and greens if food is scarce. Cats need animal protein or they will eventually die, biologically they cannot be vegans.

There's a message in there somewhere.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-11-2014, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by lovemybull View Post
...[snip]...But cats are perfect carnivores. While I have several that couldn't catch a dust bunny, there are also several of them that regularly leave birds, rodents and other remains around the yard. A wolf or dog can survive on weeds and greens if food is scarce. Cats need animal protein or they will eventually die, biologically they cannot be vegans.

There's a message in there somewhere.
The message is taurine.

Taurine is an amino acid (AA) talked about when referring to feline diets.

For cats, unlike most other mammals, taurine is an essential amino acid, meaning that cats can not synthesize their own taurine from other building block amino acids as can dogs and even humans. Thus it is essential that cats take in adequate taurine in their diet on a regular basis.

With prolonged deficiencies of taurine, cats can develop central retinal degeneration,resulting in blindness. Dilated cardiomyopathy is another real risk.

In this condition, the heart dilates, its walls become thinner and weaker, making the heart less effective and resulting in a form of heart failure.
http://www.vetlord.org/taurine-is-essential-for-cats/

There is no taurine in vegetable matter. Only in meat and seafood.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-11-2014, 10:06 PM
I honestly wish this Kingpitbull person would sod off and go and aggravate some other site's denizens. Gets everybody up in arms and arguing with each other. Please GO AWAY! This is a friendly site for reasonable dog lovers with a variety of diets!!!!!!!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2014, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by gordon mac View Post
I honestly wish this Kingpitbull person would sod off and go and aggravate some other site's denizens. Gets everybody up in arms and arguing with each other. Please GO AWAY! This is a friendly site for reasonable dog lovers with a variety of diets!!!!!!!
Lord Gord, your reply made me laugh out loud
Unfortunately we have seen them all before. They join, and as you say wind everyone up and then hopefully disappear....... although not always unfortunately.
Just sit back and laugh, or put them on block, or just talk to the sensible ones, like meeeee!!!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-11-2014, 09:58 AM
She has obviously not done any deep thinking on this - no meat eaters and/or vegans = no animals, we wouldn't need them would we, therefore the only place you may get to see a farm animal would be a zoo perhaps, of course no farm animals also = no meat = no food for carnivores - such as dogs, cats etc etc. = the wholesale destruction of ALL carnivores
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-11-2014, 10:07 AM
But what would the carnivore zoo animals be fed on?

Soylent green?
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >