Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Catmelodian
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-06-2007, 01:15 AM

To Refurb or not to Refurb?

Hi Peeps!

In the last few months I've gutted two of our bathrooms and am in the planning stages for the 3rd and final one. Every one of them had coloured suites (blue, peach & of course the ubiquitous avocado!!!) which might have been kind of groovey at one time but not any more. I've spent almost 8 thousand pounds already on the first two doing all of the work myself, tiling, plumbing, electrics etc (plastering apart) and am wondering will I ever see benefit of it when I sell. Also under pressure to update the kitchen which is somewhat dated (1990) and dread to think how much that'll come too... Any expert advice out there; is it worth it or should I sell as is? Any opinions appreciated.
Selling as is has the added benefit that I can spend more quality time sailing, fishing or just lazing around by the pub fire.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 06:29 AM
Hiya Cat - long time no hear

I think you've answered your own question with that last sentence, haven't you

Takre care, and post more often please........

Hows your gorgeous critter? Some Sparky pics wouldn't go amiss either you know!
Catmelodian
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Hi Vicki!

Good to see you're still around.

Sparky was on holiday with us on the Isle of Skye last week and I'd loads of decent pics but I've left my memory card at home....I'll post some of the hols when I get back to blighty. He behaved very well over there and exhausted himself daily chasing seagulls.
Regarding the refurb - I think you're right - let someone else to the hard work.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 04:27 PM
Hi and welcome back Why don't you get an agent to come around and give you a valuation now as it all stands, and then a price if works were complete, then go off for a drink
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Catmelodian View Post
Hi Vicki!

Good to see you're still around.

Sparky was on holiday with us on the Isle of Skye last week and I'd loads of decent pics but I've left my memory card at home....I'll post some of the hols when I get back to blighty. He behaved very well over there and exhausted himself daily chasing seagulls.
Regarding the refurb - I think you're right - let someone else to the hard work.
Oh bless him - look forward to the photos Cat
Catmelodian
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by Trixybird View Post
Hi and welcome back Why don't you get an agent to come around and give you a valuation now as it all stands, and then a price if works were complete, then go off for a drink
Hi Trixybird. Well I've thought about that and yes you're probably right - anything to keep me out of the DIY superstores & bathroom showrooms suits me fine.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by Catmelodian View Post
Hi Trixybird. Well I've thought about that and yes you're probably right - anything to keep me out of the DIY superstores & bathroom showrooms suits me fine.
well I will be doing all that - when we eventually move house

so out of the diy places and into the pub
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2007, 10:09 AM
If the kitchen is just a bit dated, think about a facelift rather than a total replacement. If the units are standard B&Q/MFI so much the better - just buy new doors for them. If the worktop is letting the place down then replace that.
Catmelodian
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by duboing View Post
If the kitchen is just a bit dated, think about a facelift rather than a total replacement. If the units are standard B&Q/MFI so much the better - just buy new doors for them. If the worktop is letting the place down then replace that.
Thanks Duboing, that's always an option, but the whole design of the kitchen is not particularly good. The house is a 'one off' architect design and I think he asked his ferrets to help with the kitchen planning....